Topic: 120hz FULLHD TV with svp

Hey guys, anyone using SVP 4 PRO 120fps on a 120hz screen (or more)? Is it worthy spending some money on a 120hz device? Mine is 60hz. I really think, as I'm not very close to my tv, I'm gonna stick with full hd, and not 4k resolution (and games with 4k resolution require a super graphics card, and mine is good but not excelent!).

I've tried to see 120-90-75 fps on my 60hz tv I use as a monitor, and I've had not-so-good moments...

Is 120hz super-duper? Super exciting? More artifacts? More emotion?
Or its almost the same thing as 60hz? Is it worthy?

Thank you.

Re: 120hz FULLHD TV with svp

99% of 120Hz TVs do not accept a 120Hz signal but rather do frame interpolation up to 120fps much like SVP does.

Roberto Rossi
The more Hz gives the more dynamic resolution.

I have Philips TV with 120 Hz LCD and strobo-light technology (PMR 400)
I have Asus monitor with 144 Hz LCD and strobo-light technology (LightBoost2)

Advantages are sharp objects when it moves on the screen and very smooth motions.

I have compared them each other.
From worse dynamic resolution to better: LCD 60Hz > TV 120Hz LCD 400PMR > LCD 144Hz LightBoost > TV Plasma 600Hz+*

*Opinion from public tests. I have not TV Plasma, so I didn't compare it with my LCD 144Hz LightBoost in one place at one time.

If you have 60Hz monitor then you can try to overclock it to 72HZ, NOT 75. I did that and I literally forgot what artifacting is. Then I overclocked it to 96 (24x4) and still no artifacts but more fluid motion.

It was so good that once I saw color/light artifacting I was like WTF was that?! Color artifacting is the only one which still can be seen on 72/96 and other modes like this. When I say color artifacting it's when you see police light blinking from red to blue on the same area for example and other light changing episodes.

TV herz information may e sole marketing. When you hear 600Hz it surely means marketing when they add interpolated HZ to real HZ. What you want to find is real HZ information. PC Monitors usually don't have that marketing BS.

I guess I'll just raise my tv's hertz from 60 to 72 and use "to screen" svp option (72 fps)..... 72 fps is good enough considering without svp we'd be at 24 fps...

6 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 09-03-2016 20:17:07)

Roberto Rossi wrote:

I guess I'll just raise my tv's hertz from 60 to 72 and use "to screen" svp option (72 fps)..... 72 fps is good enough considering without svp we'd be at 24 fps...

Just note that this is really only useful for 24fps content, so you might want to use MPC-HC's automatic resolution changer to switch to whatever refresh rate is appropriate for the according video frame rate.

Basically you want the refresh rate to be an exact multiple (read: not a fraction) of the original frame rate, like 72Hz for 24fps content (3x).  However, this also means you don't want to use 72Hz for 48fps content (1.5x) and instead would have to use 48Hz (no interpolation) or 96Hz (2x).

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
Roberto Rossi wrote:

Just note that this is really only useful for 24fps content, so you might want to use MPC-HC's automatic resolution changer to switch to whatever refresh rate is appropriate for the according video frame rate.

Basically you want the refresh rate to be an exact multiple (read: not a fraction) of the original frame rate, like 72Hz for 24fps content (3x).  However, this also means you don't want to use 72Hz for 48fps content (1.5x) and instead would have to use 48Hz (no interpolation) or 96Hz (2x).

I thought you can set only built-in monitor's profile, isn't it.

James D wrote:

I'm using a TV as monitor via hdmi 2.0.... so I can easily enter nvidia cointrol panel and change stuff

I checked. My TV not supported any mode above 60Hz. I used AMD CRU with Crimson 16.2.1. So my TV Philips 40PFL5007T is not 'overclockable' smile

MAG79 wrote:

So my TV Philips 40PFL5007T is not 'overclockable' smile

By contrast, my Toshiba 39L1350U TV can even run at weird custom refresh rates like 63Hz or 79Hz.

MAG79 wrote:

I checked. My TV not supported any mode above 60Hz. I used AMD CRU with Crimson 16.2.1. So my TV Philips 40PFL5007T is not 'overclockable' smile

My LG 32'' full hd can run at variable frequencies untill 75-76hz. 77hz and up does not work at all.

12 (edited by James D 11-03-2016 08:29:31)

Roberto Rossi wrote:
James D wrote:

I'm using a TV as monitor via hdmi 2.0.... so I can easily enter nvidia cointrol panel and change stuff

Good for you but I was talking about MPC-HC player's options about different HZ modes in fullscreen for different types of video. It's either 96 (current) or 60Hz only. I can fix that flashing laptop's monitor of course but others can't.

MAG79 wrote:

More like driver issues I would say.