Topic: Anyone have good settings for 96hz+?

Even with fairly basic MadVR settings (no image doubling, no super-res), SVP 4 Pro's "automatic" setting can't seem to keep up with 96hz playback on my 1440p screen with 1080p video.

Running a 4670k @ 4.3ghz, 7950 @ 1150mhz

I've fiddled with custom settings for a bit, but can't get anything acceptable. For now, I have to settle with 48hz playback... Anyone have any tips for good custom SVP parameters?

Re: Anyone have good settings for 96hz+?

It's very possible that you just need to increase the amount of CPU threads in SVP.  You can find this via the following:

Application settings -> Additional options -> Processing threads

For example, on my 4.6GHz G3258, I have to manually set the processing threads to 7 because "Auto" doesn't give me full performance (and seems to be about equivalent to 5 threads).

More info on the subject:
http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3164

Thanks, that actually helped alot. CPU usage is still at 93%+, but playback is much more stable.

4 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 02-03-2016 02:07:13)

Just to make sure, in MPC-HC, if you instead use the following:

• Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter)

• enable "D3D Fullscreen"

• Set resizer to "Bilinear" (NOT "Bilinear (PS 2.0)"

Do you get full speed in fullscreen?

brucethemoose wrote:

CPU usage is still at 93%+

If you want really stable smooth playback then you need to lower SVP settings to get CPU load at 80%. It will reserve the rest 20% to complicated places in video where CPU load growth is quite possible.

6 (edited by James D 02-03-2016 05:39:16)

I use 96Hz and also 2core mobile i5. In my case Auto gives good performance and I even increase settings.

4x multiplier and other equal (2, 3) are very easy compared to others. So either you don't use GPU OpenCL or Auto settings are really overoptimistic.
Whil playing video hold cursor on SVP tray icon and check what it gonna say.

What player do you use? Unlike nintendo I don't suggest setting bilinear scalng and fullscreen dx. I set bicubic 0.75 because it looks better.

7 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 02-03-2016 08:03:37)

James D wrote:

4x multiplier and other equal (2, 3) are very easy compared to others.

This is technically not true.  2x (and less) is the easiest, 2.4x, 2.5x, and 3x are the next level up and are very similar to each other, and 4x is a little bit more demanding (maybe by 5-10%?).

From there 5x and up is considerably more demanding, but I think a good amount of that extra demand is on the GPU (I have no proof however).

James D wrote:

Unlike nintendo I don't suggest setting bilinear scalng and fullscreen dx. I set bicubic 0.75 because it looks better.

I don't recommend it for normal use which is why I said "just to make sure" - I was trying to rule out the possibility that something else in the playback chain could have been eating up CPU resources.

In other words, I didn't want to recommend reducing SVP's settings until it was actually determined that it was indeed SVP that was maxing out his CPU.

Integer multiplier uses less calculated frames because all original frames are shown.
2x = 1 original + 1 calculated
2.4x = 0.2 original + 2.2 calculated
2.5x = 0.5 original + 2 calculated
3x = 1 original + 2 calculated

Frames are composed on GPU, so 2.5x and 3x gives equal GPU load. 2.4x gives greater GPU load than 2.5x and 3x.

9 (edited by brucethemoose 02-03-2016 23:15:40)

Sorry for the delay

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:

Just to make sure, in MPC-HC, if you instead use the following:

• Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter)

• enable "D3D Fullscreen"

• Set resizer to "Bilinear" (NOT "Bilinear (PS 2.0)"

Do you get full speed in fullscreen?

I'm using MadVR as a renderer instead, which probably has something to do with it. Yes, I get full speed at fullscreen (2560x1440), but only if I manually set alot of threads. I can test EVR if you really want, but I'll have to test in MPC instead of Kodi DSPlayer.

What player do you use? Unlike nintendo I don't suggest setting bilinear scalng and fullscreen dx. I set bicubic 0.75 because it looks better.

Kodi DSPlayer, mostly. Right now, I'm using Jinc scaling + SuperRes sharping, as my 7950 can't quite handle NNEDI3 image doubling + downscaling without reducing SVP's settings. GPU usage isn't close to maxed out.

If you want really stable smooth playback then you need to lower SVP settings to get CPU load at 80%. It will reserve the rest 20% to complicated places in video where CPU load growth is quite possible.

Just out of curiosity, what's the ini setting for SVP's buffering? I have alot of RAM/VRAM to spare, and while SVP is stable enough on the edge (for me), prerendering more frames might help.

Integer multiplier uses less calculated frames because all original frames are shown.
2x = 1 original + 1 calculated
2.4x = 0.2 original + 2.2 calculated
2.5x = 0.5 original + 2 calculated
3x = 1 original + 2 calculated
Frames are composed on GPU, so 2.5x and 3x gives equal GPU load. 2.4x gives greater GPU load than 2.5x and 3x.

Ya, I noticed that there isn't a huge CPU difference between 3x (72hz) and 4x (96hz). Also, I just use the multiplier instead of syncing it to the screen, which is ideal, right?

Also, I've profiled my system with xperf just to be sure, SVP is using most of the CPU tongue

10 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 03-03-2016 00:02:32)

brucethemoose wrote:

Yes, I get full speed at fullscreen (2560x1440), but only if I manually set alot of threads.

There's no reason to not set a lot of threads if not doing so results in less than full speed.

Basically, take the amount of threads your CPU has (4), double that amount (8), then round up (9).  If that doesn't give you full speed, then step up to the next setting (11, 13, etc) until you do get full speed.

The thing is, you don't want to just blindly max out the amount of threads because, if you get full speed with 9 threads, setting it to 15 threads will actually result in higher CPU utilization for no benefit.

brucethemoose wrote:

I can test EVR if you really want, but I'll have to test in MPC instead of Kodi DSPlayer.

If you can get fullspeed in DSPlayer + MadVR by just increasing the amount of threads that SVP uses, then don't worry about it.

brucethemoose wrote:

Right now, I'm using Jinc scaling + SuperRes sharping, as my 7950 can't quite handle NNEDI3 image doubling + downscaling without reducing SVP's settings. GPU usage isn't close to maxed out.

Have you tried setting SVP to use your integrated Intel GPU while setting MadVR to use your discrete AMD GPU?

11 (edited by brucethemoose 03-03-2016 00:43:29)

brucethemoose wrote:

Yes, I get full speed at fullscreen (2560x1440), but only if I manually set alot of threads.

There's no reason to not set a lot of threads if not doing so results in less than full speed.

Basically, take the amount of threads your CPU has (4), double that amount (8), then round up (9).  If that doesn't give you full speed, then step up to the next setting (11, 13, etc) until you do get full speed.

The thing is, you don't want to just blindly max out the amount of threads because, if you get full speed with 9 threads, setting it to 15 threads will actually result in higher CPU utilization for no benefit.

brucethemoose wrote:

I can test EVR if you really want, but I'll have to test in MPC instead of Kodi DSPlayer.

If you can get fullspeed in DSPlayer + MadVR by just increasing the amount of threads that SVP uses, then don't worry about it.

brucethemoose wrote:

Right now, I'm using Jinc scaling + SuperRes sharping, as my 7950 can't quite handle NNEDI3 image doubling + downscaling without reducing SVP's settings. GPU usage isn't close to maxed out.

Have you tried setting SVP to use your integrated Intel GPU while setting MadVR to use your discrete AMD GPU?

My IGP isn't enabled, and a 7950 is like an order of magnitude more powerful than HD 4600 anyway, so it's not a big deal.

I still can't find the buffering setting in the SVP settings or the .cfg files themselves, but I swear I've seen one in the past. Is it a custom setting, or is it just hidden for now?

Wait, so uh, did increasing the processing threads fix your performance woes or not?  Because if it did, then what else is there to solve?

Wait, so uh, did increasing the processing threads fix your performance woes or not?  Because if it did, then what else is there to solve?

Sort of. SVP settings are still lower than I like: with the automatic "quality" bar, it's either 1 notch below the middle with 90%+ CPU usage and some hitches (but less with more threads), 2 notches below the middle with a noticeable quality drop, or 48hz with less smoothness.

Basically, I'm still looking for more optimized custom settings for live action video.

14 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 03-03-2016 19:53:59)

I made a post about customizing SVP's settings a few months back.  It may be exactly what you're looking for:

If you need more performance, leave all the custom settings at their default except for the following 4 options:

• Motion vectors precision

• Motion vectors grid

• SVP Shader

• SVP interpolation mode

Start with the first setting ("Motion vectors precision") by decreasing its value by 1 step (to "One pixel") and then testing your SVP performance.  If that's not enough, decrease it by another step again (to "Two pixels") and re-test your performance.  If it's still not enough then keep it at "Two pixels" and move onto the setting listed next on the list - "Motion vectors grid".

Do this process of decreasing the value and then, if necessary, moving to the next setting in the list above and then decreasing it's value as well etc etc until you get full performance.

The only exception is that you may want to manually set the SVP shader to "Sharp (anime)" for traditional non-CGI animated content.

For really low-end systems (read: 10 year old dual-core PCs without GPU acceleration), you need to mix and match the settings to get optimal smoothness, like using 1m + standard + 16px rather than adaptive + sharp + 28px (the latter being what SVP's automatic options would use (relevant thread).

15 (edited by brucethemoose 03-03-2016 20:58:19)

I made a post about customizing SVP's settings a few months back.  It may be exactly what you're looking for:

If you need more performance, leave all the custom settings at their default except for the following 4 options:

• Motion vectors precision

• Motion vectors grid

• SVP Shader

• SVP interpolation mode

Start with the first setting ("Motion vectors precision") by decreasing its value by 1 step (to "One pixel") and then testing your SVP performance.  If that's not enough, decrease it by another step again (to "Two pixels") and re-test your performance.  If it's still not enough then keep it at "Two pixels" and move onto the setting listed next on the list - "Motion vectors grid".

Do this process of decreasing the value and then, if necessary, moving to the next setting in the list above and then decreasing it's value as well etc etc until you get full performance.

The only exception is that you may want to manually set the SVP shader to "Sharp (anime)" for traditional non-CGI animated content.

For really low-end systems (read: 10 year old dual-core PCs without GPU acceleration), you need to mix and match the settings to get optimal smoothness, like using 1m + standard + 16px rather than adaptive + sharp + 28px (the latter being what SVP's automatic options would use (relevant thread).

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

Also, it turns out SVP's automatic settings were actually pretty high. Kudos to the SVP devs for assessing performance so well, but (correct me if I'm wrong) I don't think the algorithm factors in the display's refresh rate.