Topic: SVP 4 Stuttering problem while watching anime

Hi everyone! I discovered this fantastic software few days ago ,however i've a problem while i watch anime: when there is a "camera motion". I note a little stuttering.
How can i solve this?
My specs are:
Amd a8-6410+r5 graphics
Amd hd 8570m
ram 8gb
Thank you in advance and sorry for my bad english!

2 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 03-03-2016 09:01:00)

Re: SVP 4 Stuttering problem while watching anime

First off let's try the typical:

• Set the output in MPC-HC to "Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter)" (View -> Options; Expand "Playback" and select "Output")

• Enable Direct3D Fullscreen in MPC-HC (also found under "Output")

• Manually set the amount of threads in SVP to a larger value; you want the smallest amount possible that gives a perfectly smooth result (Application settings -> Additional options -> Processing threads)

Does any of that solve your issue?  If so, consider setting the resizer in MPC-HC to "Bicubic A=-0.75" since I believe it defaults to "Bilinear" (which is lower quality).

If not, there's several other things we can still do.  One thing is that your CPU is somewhat on the weaker side, so we may have to do some "fancier" things to accommodate that (for reference I regularly run SVP on a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo with no GPU acceleration which should actually be slower than your setup).

I've tried your advices and....nothing seems changed,in your opinion how do i keep the vsync?

If the video source is already badly stuttering, even SVP can't help.

The video source is fine.

By using your handle name, may I assume the video source is Fairy Tail from HorribleSubs?
I did download Fairy Tail before from HorribleSubs but when I watched it, it was stuttering horribly (even with SVP) and I had to change my source to other fansub.

Hahaha,no i don't watch fairy tail but yes i like the name dragneel from Natsu Dragneel hahah,however i don't download anime from horriblesubs.

AndyDragneel wrote:

I've tried your advices and....nothing seems changed,in your opinion how do i keep the vsync?

Ok, so it looks like my theory was correct - your CPU being on the weaker side is the problem.

First off, I need to know a couple things:

1. What is the bit depth of the anime video you're having issues with? (in MPC-HC, File -> Properties, MediaInfo tab, look under "Video")

2. Are you using SVP4 Free or SVP4 Pro?

The bit diph is 8 bit,and i'm using SVP Free

10 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 03-03-2016 21:48:12)

AndyDragneel wrote:

The bit diph is 8 bit,and i'm using SVP Free

Play one of those 8bit videos in windowed and look at the status bar in the bottom left of MPC-HC - does it say "Playing [H/W]"? (when paused it should say "Paused [H/W]")

Yes. it say "Playing [H/W] when paused it say "Paused [H/W]

12 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 04-03-2016 08:08:14)

Alright, next thing.

If you double-click on the SVP tray icon, there should be a thing that kind of looks like a large blue horizontal scroll bar.  Move this bar farther to the left (towards "more performance") until you have full performance.

If you still don't have full performance when moving the bar all the way to the left, say so.  There's something else we can do that is more advanced which can not only give better performance but also a smoother result (even in cases where performance isn't an issue).

EDIT: Oh, and if you haven't already you should probably set the amount of processing threads in SVP to either 7 or back to "Auto"

I have already the bar on perfomance so on the left.
What are these advanced tips?

AndyDragneel
You can do Performance test again to update profile settings.
SVP tray menu - Utilities - Assess system performance

15 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 04-03-2016 09:31:39)

First off, what is the resolution of the video, the frame rate of the video, the resolution of your display, and the refresh rate of your display?

Also, it would be useful to know if your display lets you select any refresh rate other than 60 or 59 without the use of custom resolutions.

And yes, try running the "assess system performance" test again.

EDIT:
It's 4am here, so I must go to sleep.  If anyone else is willing to step in while I'm sleeping, my idea is to run the display at a refresh rate that is exactly 2x of the source framerate.  If the necessary refresh rate isn't available, I was going to suggest using CRU to make a custom resolution (using the timing standard "LCD reduced") with the according refresh rate, and then using MPC-HC's automatic resolution switcher to automatically switch to said refresh rate for content of that framerate.

For reference, on my own HP DM1 laptop with an AMD E-350, I've used CRU to create a 48Hz custom refresh rate for the integrated display which MPC-HC automatically switches to for 24fps videos, so I was just going to explain how to replicate this functionality.

EDIT 2: Well, before that, I was going to make sure that, if the video is 1080p and the display is something like 768p, that SVP was set to downsize the video to the size of the screen.

Ok, now I'm going to sleep.

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:

First off, what is the resolution of the video, the frame rate of the video, the resolution of your display, and the refresh rate of your display?

Also, it would be useful to know if your display lets you select any refresh rate other than 60 or 59 without the use of custom resolutions.

And yes, try running the "assess system performance" test again.

EDIT:
It's 4am here, so I must go to sleep.  If anyone else is willing to step in while I'm sleeping, my idea is to run the display at a refresh rate that is exactly 2x of the source framerate.  If the necessary refresh rate isn't available, I was going to suggest using CRU to make a custom resolution (using the timing standard "LCD reduced") with the according refresh rate, and then using MPC-HC's automatic resolution switcher to automatically switch to said refresh rate for content of that framerate.

For reference, on my own HP DM1 laptop with an AMD E-350, I've used CRU to create a 48Hz custom refresh rate for the integrated display which MPC-HC automatically switches to for 24fps videos, so I was just going to explain how to replicate this functionality.

EDIT 2: Well, before that, I was going to make sure that, if the video is 1080p and the display is something like 768p, that SVP was set to downsize the video to the size of the screen.

Ok, now I'm going to sleep.

Resulution of the video: 720p
Frame rate of video: about 23
Resulution of my display:1366x768
Refresh rate of my display:60hz

17 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 04-03-2016 19:52:34)

Is 60Hz the only refresh rate that you can select?

You can find out using the info from here (steps 1-4):
http://quehow.com/how-to-change-monitor … /4531.html

Note that. in Windows 7, the right-click menu will say "Screen resolution" instead of "Display Settings".

There is 40hz also

19 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 04-03-2016 20:58:40)

AndyDragneel wrote:

There is 40hz also

And that's it? O_o

Well, uh, as a test, select 40Hz and apply it, then try playing back your video.

EDIT: If it happens to run at full speed with 40Hz, don't keep it that way; that'd be a really sub-optimal setting - there's a better way to do things (which is what I've been planning on explaining).

EDIT 2: Also, when using 40Hz but just sitting at the desktop, does your screen look flickery?

I was also having stuttering issues. The first suggested fix worked for me, however I couldn't enter full screen after doing that which is not acceptable. I was able to make playback smooth after going into MadVR settings and setting "CPU queue size" and "GPU queue size" to the max. I'm not sure is that is dependent on any other settings I may have changed but it was after changing those that it became smooth. Since OP said the first fix didn't work for him maybe I solved a different issue, but it's worth a shot and for anyone else who may be having the same problem.

21 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 05-03-2016 07:06:27)

Draidon wrote:

Since OP said the first fix didn't work for him maybe I solved a different issue

Indeed, you had a different issue because OP isn't even using MadVR as far as I can tell.

I tried with 40hz option and...it is even worse!!! I think that there is no solution for my issue hahaha

23 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 05-03-2016 07:35:43)

AndyDragneel wrote:

I tried with 40hz option and...it is even worse!!! I think that there is no solution for my issue hahaha

No no, that was only a test.

Alright, so I need you to download this program (I use it all the time myself):
http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa … tility-CRU

The download is near the top of that page.

Extract the contents of the ZIP into a folder.

Run CRU.exe

Under "detailed resolutions", click "Add..."

Set the "Timing" to "Automatic - LCD native"

Next to "Active", input "1366" under "Horizontal" and input "768" under "Vertical"

Next to "Refresh rate", input "48"

Click OK; this should close the smaller window

Click OK again; this should close the bigger window

Restart your computer

Now, if you go to select your refresh rate, you should now also be able to select "48 Hz".  Do that and test out your video once again.

If this solves your issue, do not leave it at 48 Hz - there's a way we can make MPC-HC automatically use 48Hz only when needed so that you can keep using 60Hz for normal desktop use.

EDIT - Important!: If setting it to 48Hz makes your computer unusable and you cannot change it back, restart your PC (you may have to "cut the power" by holding down the power button) then before it starts to load windows, press F8 over and over again.  On the menu that appears, you should be able to select something that says "low resolution mode" or 640x480.  Select that and you should be able to boot and see your desktop (though massively cramped). Then change your resolution back to 1366x768, but before clicking Apply or OK, go into Advanced and set the refresh rate to 60Hz, and click Apply/OK in that window - you should now have 1366x768 @ 60Hz.

Setting 48Hz made my pc too slow......even this advice not work....in your opinion the v-sync of mpc hc matter?

25 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 05-03-2016 09:58:26)

AndyDragneel wrote:

in your opinion the v-sync of mpc hc matter?

No.

Is the SVP performance with 48Hz worse, better, or about equal to 60Hz?

EDIT: Also, could you make note of what the CPU utilization looks like?  After playing a video through SVP, open SVP and go to the "Performance monitor" graphs, click the "Overall" text link so that it shows usage for all 4 CPU cores, take a screenshot of the window (alt+printscreen), open MS Paint, Paste, save the image as a PNG, and upload it to your post as an attachment.

...and it's now 5am here.  I'm going to sleep.