Topic: Auto set profile for Film/Anime?

How can I automate profile selection for Film and Anime?

Example, source Film/CGI will trigger Film profile, and source Anime will trigger the Anime profile?

Is this possible or do I have to manually assign a profile each time I change videos?

Re: Auto set profile for Film/Anime?

SwordOfWar
How SVP will determine Film/CGI/Anime?

If you have SVP4 Pro you can set a condition...

4 (edited by SwordOfWar 02-02-2016 02:25:22)

UPDATE: I see the problem. Directory path DOES work, but you have to use "/" instead of "\" in the path.
C:\Anime won't work...but C:/Anime will work
I tried to copy/paste from windows explorer and did not realize this was an issue. Maybe you can auto convert "\" to "/" for user input path?

MAG79 wrote:

SwordOfWar
How SVP will determine Film/CGI/Anime?

Allow setting a directory (include subfolders) for profile condition.
Example directory path "C:\Videos\AnimeONLY"
Any video, or subfolder video in this directory can be set to trigger Anime profile.
Profile conditions allow setting full path, but this require condition for each unique file, so it is not very useful.

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:

If you have SVP4 Pro you can set a condition...

What condition settings do you suggest to detect Anime? I have seen the available conditions but nothing useful for detecting anime vs Film/CGI.

SwordOfWar wrote:

UPDATE: I see the problem. Directory path DOES work, but you have to use "/" instead of "\" in the path.
C:\Anime won't work...but C:/Anime will work
I tried to copy/paste from windows explorer and did not realize this was an issue. Maybe you can auto convert "\" to "/" for user input path?

Since '\' is the escape character, you must input it "\\".
But certainly it's really helped if it supports path normalization.

SwordOfWar wrote:

Allow setting a directory (include subfolders) for profile condition.

Wow, why I didn't think of this before smile

SwordOfWar wrote:

What condition settings do you suggest to detect Anime? I have seen the available conditions but nothing useful for detecting anime vs Film/CGI.

Apart from directory condition you said above, it would really hard to do. Let's say it's possible if the video container embeds the tag video source type, but not every encoder will follow it.
Not to mention when the encoder embeds wrong type, SVP will choose wrong profile, and it affects our watching experiences smile

6 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 02-02-2016 06:53:35)

Beware though, if you have other video profiles with a greater amount of conditions, SVP will insist on choosing those other profiles rather than the profile with the "file path" or "file name" condition (which I find incredibly annoying).

For example, let's say you have two profiles with the following conditions...

____Normal HD____
Source frame area > 0.6
Video frame rate < 33

____Anime____
File path contains 'anime'

If you play a 720p 24fps video located in the folder C:\anime\

...SVP will insist on using the profile "Normal HD"

mashingan
Since '\' is the escape character, you must input it "\\"

nope, there're no escape characters here
at least they shouldn't be big_smile

unless you're using regexp here (*)

SwordOfWar
Directory path DOES work, but you have to use "/" instead of "\" in the path.

agreed, will be fixed in the next build

Nintendo Maniac 64
If you play a 720p 24fps video located in the folder C:\anime\
...SVP will insist on using the profile "Normal HD"

cause it's two matches vs. one
two > one big_smile
as a workaround you can add something like "width < 10000" to the latter one

=======
(*) all the following variants work in rev.60:
1. c:/anime
2. \c:/[anime|cgi]\   <=== regexp matches "c:\anime" or "c:\cgi"

should work in the next build:
3. c:\anime
4. \c:\\[anime|cgi]\   <==== regexp!

will NOT work:
5. c:\\anime

8 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 02-02-2016 19:53:17)

Chainik wrote:

cause it's two matches vs. one
two > one big_smile
as a workaround you can add something like "width < 10000" to the latter one

Did we not have an email discussion saying that optimally, certain profiles (like "laptop battery", "file name", and "file path")  should have greater priority than others?

still I have no idea how to line up all the priorities in some logical and non-conflicting order

10 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 03-02-2016 20:03:50)

Chainik wrote:

still I have no idea how to line up all the priorities in some logical and non-conflicting order

I don't know about all of them, but I thought I laid it out quite clearly for four of them; remember, larger priority value = higher priority.

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:

Optimally I would think that the following conditions would have priority values so high that even if you put together all the other conditions (including those of lower priority on the following list), the resulting profile would still have lower priority:

[Highest priority] Laptop is on battery
[2nd highest] File name equals
[3rd highest] File name contains
[4th highest] File path contains

Let's say that, if you total up the priority of every single condition except the 4 I have listed above, you get a priority value of 1000 (I just chose a random number).  Therefore, the individualpriority value for "File path contains" would be at least 1001, while the individual priority for "File name contains" would be at least 2002, and the individual priority for "File name equals" would be at least 4004, and finally the individual priority for "Laptop is on battery" would be at least 8008

I tweaked the message from my email slightly so that it included the later-mentioned "Laptop is on battery".

Here are some example profiles using the above logic (P# equals theoretical priority):

____P2 ~ Normal HD____
P1 ~ Source frame area > 0.6
P1 ~ Video frame rate < 33

____P8010 ~ Normal HD Battery____
P8008 ~ Laptop is on battery = yes

____P1001 ~ Anime____
P1001 ~ File path contains 'anime'

____P9009 ~ Anime Battery____

____P4004 ~ Test____
P4004 ~ File name = test

EDIT: Though now that I think about it, the conditons "codec" and "bit depth" are also very important since they can relate to battery life, and therefore should probably fit into that above list somewhere...I'll think about it for a bit and come back to you.

11 (edited by SwordOfWar 04-02-2016 00:25:37)

I think "on battery" conditions should be included in main settings, not as profile.

Have a list of the profiles, top of list has higher priority than bottom of list. First profile to have all valid conditions is used.

This is simplest solution, and if you have some conflicts, you can change order/priority to fix that manually and the logic is easy to understand.

The solution by Nintendo Maniac 64 would be too complex and confusing for the end user. He wants CONDITION level priority, but I think PROFILE priority is more easy to understand.

My solution example:

Priority List:
1. ____~ Test____
P4004 ~ File name = test

2. ____~ Anime Battery____

3. ____~ Normal HD Battery____

4. ____~ Anime____

5. ____~ Normal HD____

The above list has no conflicts. Priority by profile, highest priority is at top. SVP check Profile #1, if all conditions valid, stop and use this profile. If any condition invalid, skip this profile and check next profile. This is maybe little complex for novice computer user, but these settings are best for expert users. Novice user can manually select profile smile

SwordOfWar wrote:

The solution by Nintendo Maniac 64 would be too complex and confusing for the end user. He wants CONDITION level priority, but I think PROFILE priority is more easy to understand.)

I only used condition-level priority because that's essentially how SVP currently works.