Topic: OpenCL

The person who developed the KnlMeansCL AviSynth filter had originally written it for OpenCL 1.1, and eventually migrated it to OpenCL 1.2 saying it gave about a 20% boost.

Would SVP get a 20% boost by using OpenCL 1.2 instead of 1.1?

However, OpenCL 1.2 is a lot less compatible than v1.1; I think supporting both is important.

Re: OpenCL

even if it could give 100% performance boost you won't see any difference in SVP

3 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 18-01-2016 08:54:43)

Considering that you're speaking of OpenCL compatibility, I'm assuming you're referring to only the GPU-accelerated OpenCL because any x86 CPU made in the last decade should be able to run CPU-based OpenCL...

In that case, SVP already is far from GPU bottle-necked in the majority of use-cases (unless you're doing 5x interpolation or higher), and the GPUs that would benefit the most likely don't support 1.2 anyway.

OpenCL 1.2 is significantly less compatible than OpenCL 1.1?  That seems odd to me as there are AMD GPUs from as far back as 2009 that support OCL 1.2.  Can SVP really work effectively on any GPU older than that?

5 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 19-01-2016 01:10:58)

VB_SVP wrote:

That seems odd to me as there are AMD GPUs from as far back as 2009 that support OCL 1.2

That's because AMD has the best GPU-based OpenCL support of anyone. tongue

Nvidia has a financial conflict of interest via CUDA while Intel GPU hardware is simply behind the curve.