Topic: Huge CPU load

Hello,
I recently changed laptop to get one more powerful, the problem is that I have a huge CPU load when playing 1080p video with SVP manager.
I'm using W10 with a GTX 965M and a I7-5700HQ CPU.

My CPU is at ~70% usage while my GPU is only at 10% or so...
Tried SVP3.1 and SVP4, both with the lowest option possible (tried in 1g on 3.1, same result), turned off GPU acceleration then put the GPU acceleration on my intel HD graphic 5600 instead of my Nvidia (MPHC crashed when using my intel card)...
Made all drivers update, downloaded CUDA for my Nvidia, tried all different settings possible,  tried Potplayer instead of MPHC, getting same result, using EVR doesn't change anything.
There isn't any stuttering, but sometimes the CPU goes to 100% and the audio and video are then not in sync anymore for a few seconds for example.

I also made a test with SVPmark3 :
Test summary
-----------------------
  Date: 2015-12-16T16:33:47
  CPU:  Intel Core i7-5700HQ @2693 MHz [8 threads]
  GPU:  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M [ver.359.06]
  Mode: FHD + GPU [17 threads]

Overall scores
-----------------------
  Synthetic CPU:                  MC1955
  Synthetic GPU:                  MG3262
  Real-life:                      FG1918

Details: synthetic
-----------------------
  CPU: compose (single-threaded): 606
  CPU: compose (multi-threaded):  2442
  CPU: search (single-threaded):  438
  CPU: search (multi-threaded):   1631
  GPU: system -> GPU transfer:    641
  GPU: GPU -> system transfer:    720
  GPU: calculations:              1436
  GPU: total score:               3691

Details: real-life /FHD
-----------------------
  decode video:                   10.28x (246.6 fps)
  48 fps - vectors search:        1.22x (58.6 fps)
  60 fps - frame composition:     2.03x (121.6 fps)
  48 fps - [SVP] fastest:         3.61x (173.4 fps)
  48 fps - [SVP] simple 1:        3.07x (147.5 fps)
  60 fps - [SVP] good:            1.70x (102.0 fps)
  60 fps - [SVP] high:            1.46x (87.6 fps)
  60 fps - [SVP] highest:         0.71x (42.7 fps)
  72 fps - [SVP] simple 2:        2.55x (183.5 fps)

For reference, I'm playing 720p at 20% of CPU usage, GPU is at 10-15% (just like with 1080p).

My old laptop had far lower perf (but he had an AMD graphic card though) but he could just play 1080p in 60fps at like 45% of the CPU load, and he was on W10 too.
The hardware from my actual PC is far higher, I shouldn't have any problem to play 1080p in 60fps, even with good quality...

So is this an issue with Nvidia again? Any way to make my GPU shoulder more charge? Or just another random Windows 10 crap?
I'll gladly accept anything that will help my CPU smile

Re: Huge CPU load

Well what happened to the old laptop? tongue

I see you tried a bunch of things, but did you set the decoder in LAVfilters (preferably the one included with MPC-HC) to use "DXVA2 (copy-back)" rather than "Nvidia CUVID"?

Alternatively you could possibly set it to use "Intel QuickSync"

Changed because I needed better performance (that's why it's kinda ironic that this one can't do better than the old with svp)

Yep, tried all these settings but it didn't get better sad

ZackStrife
I think you talk about AVC (H.264) 8 bit video?
Because if it is HEVC (H.265) then CPU is the only way to decode video. Decode HEVC 1080p needs significant CPU performance.
Decode 10 bit video need CPU too.
Please show MediaInfo of your 1080p file?

I tried on differents 1080p files, all are in AVC.
Tried with 8bits and 10bits video to see the difference. It seems that MPHC and potplayer tend to crash with 8bits videos sometimes while it doesn't with 10bits, but even when 8bits are working they take a lots of CPU (and 10 bits too of course)

ZackStrife
High CPU load for software decoding is normal. You need HW decode to reduce CPU load.

Change HW acceleration in LAV to DXVA2 copy-back.
See details in thread Windows 10 - video player hangs and/or crashes

"Change HW acceleration in LAV to DXVA2 copy-back."
Active Decoder says <Inactive>, is this a reason why this the HW isn't used?

ZackStrife wrote:

"Change HW acceleration in LAV to DXVA2 copy-back."
Active Decoder says <Inactive>, is this a reason why this the HW isn't used?

Might want to use DDU and re-install your GPU drivers then.

Did this, now it's listed as avcodec, but the load is still the same.

Please forgive me if I've missed something important... but why is this "a problem"? o_O
70% load of something, OK, where's is the problem?

I7-5700HQ is a laptop CPU with a huge gap between minimum and maximum frequencies.
70% at what frequency exactly?

Maybe we're talking about some "ultrabook" which is always in a throttling state.

Well as you say, it wouldn't be a problem if the CPU wasn't at the maximum frequency.
But my laptop is a MSI GS70 2DQ, so yeah it's a thin "ultrabook", being at this frequency isn't a problem if it's for a limited time, but in the case of a movie, the temperature of the CPU become very high...

I too am experiencing high CPU, what percentage does SVP needs to be to play well, mine is maxed at 100% w/ high settings

Are laptops nowadays have display monitor with 1080p resolution?
Having "Decrease to frame size" to screen size is surely helping when the monitor is less than 1080p.

Not to mention processing burden for 1080p is different with 720p by large. And the different not simply 2x, but with some setting it could 4x or 8x.

That's why there are profiles specifically for 720p and 1080p.

In my point of view, 70% of processor usage for playing 1080p video is quite accomplishment, my CPU is much weaker compared to yours.
If you're worried about the temperature, since yours is thin "ultrabook" not that SVP can help big_smile,
It's simply whether you need to decrease the setting or watching video on HTPC instead wink

MSI GS70 2DQ

"ultra-thin" i7-HQ + GTS 965M? hmm.... big_smile
you really should check if it throttles while running SVP

Nope, no throttling...

Also since the last update from Nvidia the player crash eveytime I put on GPU acceleration with Nvidia Cuvid.

"Are laptops nowadays have display monitor with 1080p resolution?" Yeah they do.
"In my point of view, 70% of processor usage for playing 1080p video is quite accomplishment, my CPU is much weaker compared to yours." Well didn't knew this, thing is I were running 1080p video just fine with my old pc with a much weaker CPU, but then again the amd GPU must have been running fine with it...

Also I just saw this, when I hit Ctrl+J to see the stats, the render device is always my intel card, even If I turn on or off GPU acceleration or change the filter or even launch Mph hc with Nvidia graphic processor...

17 (edited by mashingan 28-12-2015 10:46:56)

This is the thread that undetected GPU, the TS uninstalled his driver with DDU and reinstalled it
http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2999

Nvidia graphic cards are known problematic, see the faq
https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/FAQ#In_Wi … or_crashes

This is the dev found about Nvidia driver, (it's a sticky-ed thread if you haven't noticed it)
http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic … 764#p55764

18 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 28-12-2015 20:02:31)

Another thing is that there was one user where using "D3D Fullscreen" or enabling "use direct3d 11 for presentation" solved his Nvidia woes.

Formatted my pc, used ddu to uninstall my Nvidia drivers and Intel drivers and to reinstall them. Took an old Nvidia Driver below .350, still no change.

"Another thing is that there was one user where using "D3D Fullscreen" or enabling "use direct3d 11 for presentation" solved his Nvidia woes."
Didn't change anything too.

Well thanks for the help, guess I'll have to stick to 720p though... hmm

20 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 31-12-2015 02:49:23)

Whelp, that's Nvidia's Windows 10 drivers for you...

(and people say Nvidia has great drivers)

There wouldn't happen to be a way to completely disable the discrete GPU, would there?

Well, wouldn't disabling the integrated GPU force the Nvidia one to be used though?

Some peoples here are able to utilize their integrated and discrete GPU.
But unfortunately that's just not anyone can do.

I can't do it, activating discrete GPU will deactivate integrated GPU and vice versa.
I did try activating integrated GPU in bios and not long after, it simply crashed my PC sad

Your problem is the load CPU too high while GPU is not strained at all, is that correct?
I think the key to solve it is in driver, but I'm not sure how to proceed after that since I don't have Nvidia GPU.
How about running DDU once more without reformat your OS?

23 (edited by Hennyo 01-01-2016 18:25:22)

ZACKSTRIFE: I BELIEVE I KNOW WHAT YOUR PROBLEM IS:

See here: Try it through Nvidia Inspector Profile settings.
Maxwell and some Kepler-Mobile chips are broken (NV driver--Optimus stinks-wreaks) through MPC-HC.
Apparently it's a rough-and-tumble fix b/c NV hasn't touched it for ca. 600 days.

Default Control panel does not work.

You MUST address the driver settings through the Nvidia Inspector tool. It is quite Easy....
Follow this [Find bottom..] thread through approx.-#22 to GET GTX 965M to run with MPC-HC / SVP / Mad-VR

[And for anyone reading] I'm still not optimistic about 4k (SVP) playback.. Unfortunately loads are just way too high, to the point of crashing/simply not (ever) opening just (vp9/hevc, or .264/mp4)..

I think we might be able to do it with forthcoming (Arctic islands/Kaby Lake/Zen- due to ff decoder) hardware.. Interpolating that, even with ff decoders still might not be a walk in the park (ChainSVP? Thoughts or 2) experience on Skylake HEVC/4K .264 videos?analogous extrapolation.. Ty for informing: so that we understand AMD Zen/Kaby SVP/Madvr decode)

Even 2560x 1440 (2k) MP4 (.264) files don't play well on laptop-esque quadcores atm.. (not throttling below about 2.6Ghz)
I believe part of that is extremely SHIT ff decoders (EVEN FOR .264) Intel purposely left/put in/on Haswell hardware  [essentially they only handle through 1080p max]

Fuck you Intel. At least should have appropriately specced your .264 decode. Fucking extreme @ssholes.

And yes, back to the point: The mobile-Nvidia driver is the largest {UNADDRESSED} steaming pile of fail, probably ever in my book.
Mobile first: Shove off Nvidia. 1.5 yrs later the problem PERSISTS. 

I'm still considering returning my laptop with a 4k-Quantum-dot (CadSe) display because of these issues. ABSOLUTE SHITE

Steps off soap-box*..

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t … amp;page=2

24 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 02-01-2016 06:22:57)

Hennyo wrote:

essentially they only handle through 1080p max

The trick is to use the QuickSync decoder rather than DXVA2 (copy-back) on Intel iGPUs - I can decode AVC 3840x2160 at somewhere around 45fps.  Note however that, with QuickSync, higher resolutions do result in higher CPU utilization, but it's definitely lower utilization than pure software decode.

25 (edited by ZackStrife 03-01-2016 13:43:39)

You MUST address the driver settings through the Nvidia Inspector tool. It is quite Easy....
Follow this [Find bottom..] thread through approx.-#22 to GET GTX 965M to run with MPC-HC / SVP / Mad-VR

Pin Pon Pin Pon !

I followed the instructions just as said in the thread. Now it works, my GPU is shouldering the workload. My CPU is ~40-60% during 1080p video while my GPU is at 50-70%, and no need to talk about 720p which is even better.
So it seems that it's working for the moment, thanks for the help big_smile

For those with the same problem who are too lazy too read the thread :
You download Nvidia Inspector tool, then next to driver version you go to the profile settings.
Then you find Media Player Classic and you change this :

Enable application for Optimus = SHIM_RENDERING_MODE_ENABLE (0x00000001)
Shim Rendering Mode Options per application for Optimus = SHIM_RENDERING_OPTIONS_ENABLE_DWM_ASYNC_PRESENT (0x00000040)

And it should be working.

EDIT : With this you'll have to set it up at each reboot because "Enable application for Optimus " will change itself.
In order to prevent this, create a new profile with the same settings and add mpc-hc.exe to the new profile (you'll need to remove it from the Media Player Classic profile first). And there it shouldn't change