1 (edited by TayyabKhalid 31-12-2015 02:52:45)

Topic: I am getting a new PC-build will this be able to handle SVP 4?

Can I use this new PC of mine to make almost full use of SVP 4 Pro. I am watching everything from TV-shows, movies BUT most anime. Will this PC be able to handle smooth performance and smooth playback while using SVP midst a video playing?
Also what is the recommended setting for this build? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KzVb7P[/
Note: I have bought the parts, don't have them know. Using my Dell Insprion 3847 for now.

Re: I am getting a new PC-build will this be able to handle SVP 4?

That's an incorrect link...if you open that in a private browsing window, you'll see what I mean.

Regardless, SVP can actually run on even 10 year old hardware, it's mainly just a case of how high of a resolution do you want to run at (1080p and higher?) how fancy of upscaling do you want to do (MadVR? Or just a TV's own upscaler?) and what kind of codecs you'll be decoding (8bit AVC? 10bit AVC? VP9 and HEVC?).

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:

That's an incorrect link...if you open that in a private browsing window, you'll see what I mean.

Regardless, SVP can actually run on even 10 year old hardware, it's mainly just a case of how high of a resolution do you want to run at (1080p and higher?) how fancy of upscaling do you want to do (MadVR? Or just a TV's own upscaler?) and what kind of codecs you'll be decoding (8bit AVC? 10bit AVC? VP9 and HEVC?).

i updated the link sorry for the mes up, could you take a look now, also I know it can run on many PC even older. The performance will always vary. What do you think this PC will be able to take setting wise?
Would greatly appreciate it, if you told me! smile

TayyabKhalid wrote:

i updated the link sorry for the mes up, could you take a look now, also I know it can run on many PC even older. The performance will always vary. What do you think this PC will be able to take setting wise I am also finally able to use MAD VR so you bet I would. Can you recommend me some settings for it too?
Would greatly appreciate it, if you told helped me! smile

Subjectively speaking, that spec is enough especially if your display monitor size 1980x1080.

If larger than that, I suggest you choose more powerful CPU and GPU.

6 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 31-12-2015 04:19:46)

mashingan wrote:

If larger than that, I suggest you choose more powerful CPU

AFAIK, upscaling even via MadVR doesn't take that much CPU power.  More than EVR yes, but not to "quad-core-Skylake-isn't-enough" levels of more CPU power.

Unless you meant using SVP on 1440p and 2160p video, but so far anime is only ever 1080p (though it is commonly 10bit AVC which can only be decoded in software, so that would result somewhat higher CPU utilization).  For reference HEVC and VP9 shouldn't be much of an issue since the iGPU on Skylake can accelerate the decoding of those video formats.

mashingan wrote:

and GPU

Uhhh, if anything that GPU is overkill.  AMD is stronger at compute than Nvidia and that's the 4th fastest AMD GPU available currently.  For an SVP-focused machine I think it'd make more sense to lower the GPU and PSU and increase the CPU (SVP loves more threads and cores).  This is especially true since you can use your integrated Intel GPU for SVP and video decoding, thereby leaving your discrete AMD GPU completely free for MadVR-related stuff.

...unless you're planning on doing PC gaming with said GPU as well?  In which case what you picked would would be good.

DISCLAIMER: I am by far no where near an expert when it comes to MadVR since I always just use the built-in hardware upscaling on my HDTV or just change the output resolution on my CRT monitor.

7 (edited by mashingan 31-12-2015 07:23:37)

Unless you meant using SVP on 1440p and 2160p video, but so far anime is only ever 1080p (though it is commonly 10bit AVC which can only be decoded in software, so that would result somewhat higher CPU utilization).  For reference HEVC and VP9 shouldn't be much of an issue since the iGPU on Skylake can accelerate the decoding of those video formats.

No, I really meant it. His main videos type to watch is anime, since that kind of video only available 1080p by largest, the more he need to procure more powerful GPU, especially when there's the need to enable Image Doubling (We have the precedent issues about GPU usage, haven't we?).
Let's say if he has 480p videos to be played at resolution 1440p or 2160p. Unless he enables Image Doubling, it can be a bad experience.

And CPU of course, mainly watching anime doesn't necessarily not watching film movies. If there's a chance he has the 4K broadcast, it always nice to get room for performance.

That's why I said, "If larger than that", by "that" I meant was "monitor display resolution 1920x1080"
(I incorrectly posted "size" instead of "resolution" though, maybe that the reason of misunderstanding? smile )

PS: Oh I forgot adding it smile I don't know which CPU/GPU that considered powerful nowadays. So if your chosen CPU/GPU already powerful enough, that's it big_smile If by any means you can procure i7, that would be better

8 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 31-12-2015 07:51:42)

mashingan wrote:

I don't know which CPU/GPU that considered powerful nowadays.

Here's a trick that should work for Intel, AMD, and Nvidia.

6600 & 390 ~ first number = generation
6600 & 390 ~ second number = tier of relative performance
4770 & 7950 ~ third number = performance within that tier
6600K & 390X ~ letters after numbers = faster variant
Fury / Titan ~ letters instead of numbers = flagship part (can be combined with the above for "Fury X" / "Titan X")

The only big exception to this is AMD's Bulldozer-based FX CPUs where the generation is indicated by the second digit while the first digit indicates the tier of relative performance (interestingly enough all their other CPUs follow the above system).