1 (edited by Hennyo 07-12-2015 04:55:25)

Topic: 4K Issue, Streaming issues, Performance/scaling at future resolutions

I'm shocked to not have seen others mentioning 4k performance so much (or bugs therin). Not speaking for others but having major issues on the 4702HQ /GTX 850m at almost any setting. 16GB DRam so certainly no odd issues there. Optimus is working as it's supposed to. MCH-HC EVR-CP Or Mad VR.
Are others getting fair performance at 4k? Share your recent experience with SVP and read on.

1a) I'm not complaining VP9 4k option isn't around yet, for the obvious complication of (confounding load). This makes sense, will this be around in the (near) future?

It may just be, or of course could be a lack of CPU power (lack of a fixed function interpolator)
Let alone Quality 2k/4K MP4 LET ALONE VP9 decode HW,

But I'm encountering performance issues. 4k is completely soft reset/crash, and 2k MP4 (MPC-HC 1.7.10 > EVR-CP MADVR)
2) Are we going to be able to run 8k interpolation of any kind with current CPU/fundamental concurrent -CPU- silicon technology, or is SVP hitting the end of the line at 4k interpolation, or possibly even just the current 1080p, with current methods / CPU power-innefficiencies
/fundamental CPU limitations interpolating frames?!

This question I think needs an answer. Thank you for reading and addressing performance issues/questions.
Back to expatiating/comisserating [in my case, it's safe to say complaining at the moment]
   I don't know if others are able to interpolate 4k at 60/120fps through their computer panels/displays/ monitors. I would love to see some, any feedback here on that: others SVP experience (particularly through say SVP-You-Tube)...
So that others, users, and devs can benefit at large.

Performance issue first:
720p are about all I can -properly at 60fps- sustain through MPC/EVR-CP/SVP4. 1080p won't even play generally above/beyond say 50fps.
I'm having non-default sizing issues irregardless of weather through SVPTube, or the SVP4 project itself [720p 23p files]!
It [Freezes, perpetual failure to continue to playback the buffered YouTube source-file] may, potentially, be some... tertiary issue, but SVPTube is very buggy when enlarging [or attempting to fix/make better] that small (approx 1/50th of my and others -who've mentioned this experience- screen) Player-Box (Client MPC/PotPlayer/Kodi ETC) to appropriate playback, or any desired, say for instance fullscreen for that matter, sizes.

I don't want MPC-to open to a statically-sized box everytime it (a file) opens. I want it to open to the proper resolution: on my 4k or say 1440p monitor, so that I don't have to still resize every single stream-size, every time I load a video. PRAY IT DOESN'T -seemingly inexplicably- FREEZE IF you're/I'm streaming through SVP.
Others have mentioned this issue, I don't know weather a fix is indeed coming, but I think it needs MORE attention. I'm very skeptical, but maybe it's somehow related to 4k? It's very frusterating.

Thanks!

Lastly, my surmising/ loosely analogous Performance extrapolating (issue).
I could be 100% wrong, although My impression is/would be that higher Bit-rates (use 120mbps as a quasi-ideal instance - because that's for example/instance 4k UHD standard will run at --23fps content-)
would require a fair bit more CPU-resource than current consumer CPU will likely be capable of giving us.
At least 8/10core CPU required.... To say nothing of 8k [--which I would think is simply not possible to Interpolate whatsoever w/o FF interpolation hardware].
I'd like more comments on 4k SVP performance others are seeing (.264 .265, or VP9)...

Level of satisfaction and scaling concerns with SVP/Interpolation for the future......
As it is/stands the project is fairly developed, [THANKS!] but I find that perceptually relatively minor issues, make using SVP4 a relatively MAJOR PAIN right now (particularly, all the moreso thru SVPTube due the default resolution file playback freezes/errors, at least on my laptop), but I think/wonder it might also be my hardware configuration, or if as aforementioned software interpolation techniques (SVP project) just cannot be done on highly innefficient, latency-architectured CPU technology..

Are others having just as buggy an experience as I am? With SVPTube things are outright not opitmal, running straight files things are a bit better (at least the files generally don't/won't freeze unless the Player simply cannot interpolate them effectively at all (2k VP9/4K), but Even so, I'm running just 2.8GHZ (7 SVP) threads and 850M (Maxwell) MPC-HC 1.7.10 (either Mad-VR/EVR-CP)

I WANT, very much to use SVP, but these seemingly fairly simple little issues (and more importantly, a couple of bugs) are really making it impossible to integrate more-or-less seamlessly into my casual/day-to-day 'work-flow' (freezes/resizes are particularly, terribly annoying actually).

3) If SVPtube could open Youtube files at their appropriate resolution (not tiny box that's glitchy-at least for me personally- to resize, and freezes) like the any other run of the mill whole-file does (when not tandem/coterminously running SVP) that would be one terrrific step in a good direction. It would be a relief.

And Thanks a whole bouquet to the developers for having delivered so much this far!

Would, again.. Appreciate others sharing their experience with 4k/desktop use for SVP...

Is even just 4k viable through ~ 3.5 or 4ghz processors, or are 8 core cpus really required to get the job done without fixed-function interpolation circuits?

2 (edited by Hennyo 07-12-2015 05:29:23)

Re: 4K Issue, Streaming issues, Performance/scaling at future resolutions

Also didn't mention:
When Streaming YouTube Videos to SVPTube
You end up with various innacurate video lengths (00:10seconds, :50, 1:10, 2:00, and so on) which are much shorter than the average/actual whole YouTube video, say four 4-5 minutes or any other length.
Sometimes it reads, registers, and will playback the whole, say 50 minute video, but this doesn't necessarily happen on the first or second try.

There are a couple videos I have come across which 'fail to render' another user had already posted as working. This was their test-demo (which they were pleased with) which doesn't render-open up in MPC-HC for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-B5XAxDQ8w
Sooo.. for me, It's been difficult to watch a whole YouTube Video through SVP! Am I missing something....? If so I... well.. that sucks. Is it possible 1.7.10 somehow isn't ideally compatible with SVPTube 1.2.5a at the moment?
Thanks!

3 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 07-12-2015 07:38:56)

You can edit your own posts, so there's little need to make two posts in a row.

Anyway, I can only give advice on video files you've actually downloaded onto your PC rather than videos through SVPtube, but we might as well start there since it eliminates the internet connection variable.

First off, make sure that the video in question can actually play without issue when SVP is not running (right click SVP's taskbar icon and select "Exit")

1. In MPC-HC, try setting your output renderer to "Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter)", disabling "Accurate Vsync", and enabling "D3D Fullscreen"

2. If you do not have adequate video playback performance, set your decoder in LAVfilters to "DXVA2 (copy-back)"

3. If you still don't have adequate video playback performance, try setting your LAVfilters decoder to "Nvidia CUVID"

4. If still still do not have adequate performance, try setting your LAVfilters decoder to "Intel QuickSync"

5. If that still isn't enough, try setting your LAVfilters decoder to "None"

6. If after all of that and you still do not have adequate performance, then your PC hardware is either too slow or it is throttling itself.

Assuming that the video is running fine, please try the following if you haven't already;

1. Manually set the thread amount in SVP to a larger amount (try 15 and higher)

2. Make sure there is no file named "avisynth.dll" located in the same folder as mpc-hc.exe

3. Try disabling GPU acceleration in SVP; sometimes you can actually have a GPU bottleneck

4 (edited by pururum 07-12-2015 09:08:26)

Can't get stable playback for 4k with SVP too. Using PotPlayer, SVP4 Pro, EVR-CP. My hardware: i7 3770k (4c/8t) @ 4.2 Ghz, 16Gb DDR3 @ 2133 mhz, GF780 @ 1,1Ghz.

Without SVP any 4k video plays fine. If SVP enabled, I can't open some of them - player crashes immediately. Some videos opens correctly and SVP working fine, stable 60 fps. But these videos makes player crash for a 2-3 minutes. Have this on any LAV settings - SW, Intel QS, DXVA (copy-back).

I can guess that this happens due to 32-bit architecture and 2-4 gb memory limit. When 64-bit version of SVP arrives, things definitely should came better. But still, I believe that 4k is in early adoption stage. So, enthusiasts, who wants to touch all new and shiny technology, will also get any possible bugs, errors and limitations.

This post has an example script of using SVPFlow x64
http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic … 100#p51100

It even has the example of 4K downscale to FHD

I think MPC variants are lighter than PotPlayer so try to play with MPC-(HC or BE) if playing the video with PotPlayer gives you problems.

4K may need some manual tuning.
- decrease number of computation threads
- lower frame interpolation precision to at least "one pixel" or even "two pixels"

Hennyo
Nintendo Maniac 64
pururum
mashingan
I think you really have 4K displays. Otherwise you can use SVP option "Decrease to screen". wink

8 (edited by mashingan 07-12-2015 14:40:28)

MAG79 wrote:

Otherwise you can use SVP option "Decrease to screen". wink

Kudos to you, Sir. Simplest and proven method cool

9 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 10-12-2015 19:49:51)

MAG79 wrote:

I think you really have 4K displays. Otherwise you can use SVP option "Decrease to screen". wink

I do not have a 4k display; CRTs never went that high. tongue

MAG79 wrote:

Hennyo
Nintendo Maniac 64
pururum
mashingan

Yepp. I have UHD TV, so can do any tests.