Topic: SVP vs CMR stuff

Hey guys,

I'm new here so I don't know if these questions have been already answered.
I bought a Samsung UN60J6200 1080 Smart LEDtv for my HTPC monitor (CMR 120hz). It says is displaying @ 1920x1080/60p

I have set the "Clear Motion Rate" to FULL and it affects both Internet videos and my MPC-HC vid player running of KCP codec w/ Reclock.

I want to ask if running both SVP and my Tv' CMR will be counter productive to one another or not.
Also, which of the two should I disable/enable.

I see both clear difference when playing the same media source but SVP have these "blocks" I assume from interpolation.

Also, on a sidenote on Reclock settings I have it set 30fps on my "Video Stream" and on Media Adaptation" my speed is on Auto, it says NTSC adaptation: media speed changed to 30.000 fps. Audio resampled at 48000 Hz and the "Clock" is Green.

Pls advise.

Re: SVP vs CMR stuff

I wouldn't be surprised if the TV does a better job since it has dedicated hardware to do it.

For the best comparison, you could try to see if the TV can accept a 120Hz input via custom resolutions (you may need to run at 720p; if it can't do 120Hz then try 72Hz for 24fps videos) and run SVP with CMR disabled on your TV.

Then try to set the refresh rate to the same value as the video framerate (so 30Hz for 30fps), exit SVP, and then enable CMR on your TV.

3 (edited by Jeff R 1 07-12-2015 19:28:24)

I've had two projectors and one 4K Sony TV all with FI and all function better then SVP.
SVP always has more halo effect.
I found that if I ran SVP and FI on the display at the same time, any defects in SVP remain, the display did not magically clear the defects up.
There was no advantage running two FI systems at the same time.

@raziel
When playing a Blu-ray for example, if your Blu-ray was filmed at 23.976 fps, set your HTPC to refresh at that rate and disable everything else _ SVP _ Reclock.
I found the least amount of processing the TV receives the better, the TV's "Clear Motion" drive will work better just on its own.
Any 3:2 pull down should be left up to the TV.

Jeff R 1 wrote:

Any 3:2 pull down should be left up to the TV.

You're not going to need any 3:2 pull down on a display that accepts a 24Hz input.

I was thinking too much, if the refresh rate of the TVs' panel's is 120 or 240Hz, then it wouldn't need it.
I was thinking if they refreshed at 60 Hz...

The CMR on my Samsung TV does make motion smoother, but no where near as smooth as SVP.

When I've shown non-animated video run through SVP to people not familiar with motion interpolation, they balk at the "soap opera effect".  With just the CMR on my 120 Hz Samsung TV, they don't even notice.  The manual (and OSD) for my TV states that its CMR only kicks in during "scenes with fast motion" so that might be why.

VB_SVP wrote:

The manual (and OSD) for my TV states that its CMR only kicks in during "scenes with fast motion" so that might be why.

So it's similar to having SVP's "motion vectors grid" set to 32px?

UPDATE: I noticed that the CMR works on internet vids e.g. Youtube, etc. and SVP does not. (I don't know is that's true for everybody, its just on my case.)

@ VB SVP: Do you have comparison shots/vids for me to look @?? I want to see what yours look like, if its similar to mine.
Our Samsung says the CMR is 120hz but when used as a PC monitor its only 60hz. It that true for yours as well?

My SVP settings are set on the slider having it all the way to the right on "higher quality" and high on Masking.
Also, I can see the CMR FI effect on vids more then I can see it on SVP, I'm not sure if I set SVP right/wrong, etc. OR I'm just used to it now that I can't recognize it. I can see it barely on some vids/anime.

Also, the CMR FI works as well on gaming, I'm playing this Tales of Zestiria on pc via Steam and it has crappy locked 27-30fps limiter on it (via devs decision) and my CMR makes it looks smoother so I'm happy about that.

I'm still not sure if I should disable 1 or the other FI or I should just leave them both alone and let them do their things respectively.

Also, is 60hz translates to 60fps?? I'm still learning so yea....lol!
Should I set Reclock to 60fps rather than 30fps? W/ my old set up @ 30fps on both Video Stream and Media Adaption settings I get a green clock on system tray, which is good settings I heard/read.

Thank for the input guys!!!

Also, I want to add since my LED tv can do a 120hz via CMR should I adjust my adjust my SVP settings to do 120fps instead of default 60fps? CMR is off and just SVP running, I can see a difference, but not entirely sure if the settings are right.
Reclock is still set @ 30fps

raziel1087
Thank you for information.

But how you compare SVP and CMR?
You need at least one source. One Display. One refreshrate. And two different technology. smile
Then comparison will be correct.
If you see result of SVP at 60 Hz PC monitor then 120 Hz TV display can show different picture much better picture by default.

I have TV Philips 40PFL5007. It can show 100/120 Fps with strobe backlight (like this). But its smoothing technology PMR 400 not so good to smooth some dynamically moved objects. So. The best smoothness is if I use both technology: SVP and PMR400.
Source 24 fps > SVP > 60 fps > 1080p60 via HDMI > Philips PMR400 > 120 fps

CMR works on internet vids e.g. Youtube, etc. and SVP does not
In my case both are worked: SVP and PMR400.

BTW. In SVP4 I use prfile with best quality: Automatic [0]. See it number in the SVP4 Events log.

Nintendo Maniac 64
I'd never try to overclock my HDMI-out to 120 fps smile
It is non standard.

@ MAG79, I have 1 source and 1 tv, and my Samsung LEDtv has CMR and my pc is connected to it as I use it as a HTPC.

Will CMR and SVP interfere with each other? How can I enable SVP on Youtube, I used to use the add-on for Youtube vids it was great but it was cumbersome. I use my Tv CMR to do it and it looks good.

I'm using Auto values (1) how can I set it to zero??

Right know as I write this ONLY SVP is on and my CMR off, I can't tell the difference like its just watching reg tv, should I increase my fps to 120fps since my tv can handle 120hz???

MAG79 wrote:

I'd never try to overclock my HDMI-out to 120 fps smile
It is non standard.

HDMI uses the exact same video signal as DVI, so it's perfectly capable of such a thing.

Also, HDMI 1.4 and newer have 120Hz as a standardized refresh rate due to 3D.

Nintendo Maniac 64
In another words I don't know if my TV supports more than 60 fps at input.

raziel1087
How can I enable SVP on Youtube
Use SVPtube

should I increase my fps to 120fps since my tv can handle 120hz?
How you going to pass 120 frames per seconds to your TV?
I never hear it is possible for TV. 60 fps maximum as I know.

14 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 09-12-2015 18:57:36)

MAG79 wrote:

In another words I don't know if my TV supports more than 60 fps at input.

That's why you try it and find out. tongue

MAG79 wrote:

I never hear it is possible for TV. 60 fps maximum as I know.

There are definitely some TVs that accept a native 120Hz input.  Again, the spec for 3D included 120Hz input, so this is not unprecedented.

Is  there a app that lets you see fps in real time like fraps but for videos?? Also, does anybody have the same specs as me or close specs in terms of TV, I have a Samsung UN60J6200 and it says is has 120hz.

I can definitely tell when the its CMR is active on all vids, SVP I can't for some reason. I have both of them enabled and I can tell but not sure it either one is contradicting each other or not.

I have a PRO subscription, and I can adjust the fps to 120fps and can tell a difference but not sure if my tv can actually handle it natively.

Also, I have the masking settings on high and the slider on higher quality is that the best settings for SVP??

raziel1087 wrote:

Is  there a app that lets you see fps in real time like fraps but for videos??

There's only custom-made software that can do this, and said software isn't available to the public.

Really the easiest thing to do is to use a modern smart phone that can record a video in at least 120fps and then go frame by frame (by default it's ctrl+left/right arrow key in MPC-HC).