1 (edited by Jeff R 1 17-11-2015 03:46:46)

Topic: SVP 4 Crashes with An Actual Blu-ray Disc

SVP works well with a saved ISO of a Blu-ray, but with an actual disc, SVP just freezes up while the reader sits there in a loop trying to read the disc.
SVP manager throws up a message "Program not responding"
If I shut SVP down, go into "external filters" and uncheck ffdshow raw filter _ close MPC _ open it _ play the disc with out SVP for a few seconds _ stop play _ go back to external filters and check ffdshow raw filter _ close MPC _  enable SVP (it has to be re-enabled after the crash) the disc will play with SVP with out crashing.
After following this little procedure SVP then works with an actual disc.
If I eject the disc, then the buffer gets flushed (I am guessing) and I have to go through this annoying procedure again.

It seems like while the Blu-ray reader is trying to fill its buffer, SVP is trying to kick in, and it can't because the readers buffer isn't full.
By allowing the buffer to fill with out enabling SVP, then enabling it after restarting the program, it seems to take care of the problem.
I think it doesn't happen with an ISO because the SATA connection from the hard drive is miles faster then the Blu-ray reader.

Running W7, with the latest NVIDIA driver. And no, I haven't tried an older driver, the ISO doesn't give this weird problem so I don't think it's a video driver problem.

I took a screen shot of the events log and there is only one thing that shows up, but I am not sure if that has anything to do with this problem.

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj623/jeffr15/Events%20Log_zpsqn7h6jdw.png

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj623/jeffr15/Not%20Responding_zpsnc17quol.png

The screen shot below shows MPC frozen while SVP tries to create frames, but SVP is stuck at 23.92 _ the video continues for a bit, but eventually MPC freezes as well.
  http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj623/jeffr15/Frozen_zpseflv1gst.png

Re: SVP 4 Crashes with An Actual Blu-ray Disc

Processor performance counter failed

It is the bug. Maybe it is the cause. Please send bug report from SVP4 after this error repeats.

3 (edited by Jeff R 1 17-11-2015 04:53:42)

It is the bug ??? As you said...

The NVIDIA card/driver problem ????

Should be able to do bug report tomorrow.  At least it's easy to produce and doesn't really cause problems, as most movies are in ISO form.
Thanks smile

We will look it in the bug report.
And your explanation about BD read buffer is very close wink

It is the bug.
no it's not...

Jeff R 1, don't listen big_smile

I think problems with BD might be because SVP 4 tries to get media info via MediaInfo smile
May be it's not a good idea in case of real optical disks... and slow network shares, by the way

What do you mean, don't listen ???
As I said, most movies are saved by ISO, but there is the odd one that isn't. I rent movies and save them as an ISO so I can watch them when I want _ after which I delete them.
If I watch a Blu-ray from my own collection, then that is from a physical disc.
If SVP can't deal with an actual disc with out having to do that little work around, then that's OK.

...don't listen to MAG79 when he said "It is the bug. Maybe it is the cause. "

anyway I'm really not sure now if I want to buy a BD reader just to check out this issue o_O

Hmmm...
No BD reader, that explains why you didn't respond to my offer.
I must be the only one using actual discs _ everyone else is using downloaded stuff from YouTube. hmm
Maybe it's time to get a reader, they're not that expensive, or are they some astronomical price in Russia ?
I just blew a whole whack of money on a projector, so I don't have the cash right now to buy you one. smile

9 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 17-11-2015 23:13:43)

I have a Blu-ray reader for PC, but that's only because a friend originally bought it for himself and then gave it to me years later (said friend is constantly upgrading his PC so I usually get his old stuff for free or cheap).

Really it's just that I never installed any software necessary to use it because I would want to run the video through MPC-HC so that I could use SVP.  Looking at another recent thread on here, it sounds like I can achieve blu-ray playback in MPC-HC via the software "Pass key lite".

I do at least have a single blu-ray disc since it was actually cheaper than the DVD (and I don't like purchasing streamed content due to my measly 3Mbps connection), so I might be able to take a look at this myself unless things go wrong...

10 (edited by Jeff R 1 17-11-2015 23:57:57)

As I am sure you know you will need to run Sly Softs' Any DVD HD to play that Blu-ray on MPC-HC.
Pass key lite may work if the Blu-ray is an older one.

And the problem with playing m2t files on a Blu-ray is that they don't always contain the full audio and video path.
MPC-HC is geared the using the correct playlist.
You can point MPC at what may appear to be the correct m2t file, but you may end up with a Spanish sound track.

11 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 18-11-2015 00:36:09)

Well, "Pass key" worked perfectly fine for my 2011 Blu-ray...

I had absolutely no issue at all playing it in MPC-HC with SVP; everything "just worked".

EDIT: For reference, I did not play an m2t file but rather I launched MPC-HC, went to "File" -> "Open DVD/BD", navigated to the root of the disc drive, and then clicked "Select Folder"...and then it started playing like it would for any other video file.

I can't get it to work at all unless I go through my procedure.
Maybe it's my HP branded reader _ what brand is your reader ?
I uninstalled SVP and got this error.
Doesn't seem to matter what I do _ even tried rolling back the NVIDIA driver _ different output renderers.
Cleaned up the registry _ reinstalled from scratch.

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj623/jeffr15/Error_zpsgcpqykxy.png

everyone else is using downloaded stuff from YouTube
well... hmm... let's say "yes" big_smile

Maybe it's time to get a reader, they're not that expensive, or are they some astronomical price in Russia ?
I'm sure we can afford this after the Indiegogo campaign big_smile
I just don't like an idea of buying something that will use only once and then throw it away...

I uninstalled SVP and got this error.

Just press "ignore", it'll be fine.

14 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 18-11-2015 08:07:48)

Jeff R 1 wrote:

what brand is your reader ?]

LG.

Chainik wrote:

[off]I just don't like an idea of buying something that will use only once and then throw it away...

When you say "throw it away", I hope you don't mean that literally...

ok, fine, I've just ordered a BD reader... big_smile

16 (edited by Jeff R 1 18-11-2015 18:09:42)

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
Jeff R 1 wrote:

what brand is your reader ?]

LG.

Chainik wrote:

[off]I just don't like an idea of buying something that will use only once and then throw it away...

When you say "throw it away", I hope you don't mean that literally...

What's the model number _ I'm asking because I also have an external USB LG reader and it does the same thing, but that may because of the slow USB connection, however it did work with SVP 3.

Chainik
What is the make and model number of the one you're ordered ?
I don't know how you managed to develop SVP 4 with out a reader...
Hopefully you'll be able to reproduce the problem. big_smile

LG CH12NS30

We'll see how that works out, it has a 2MB buffer on it like my HP one, assuming that has anything to do with my problem.
I will be getting a new BD-XL one eventually.

19 (edited by Jeff R 1 21-11-2015 04:47:25)

So I have a new region "B" disc from the UK of "Suite Francaise" and the actual disc works fine with SVP4 ????
I thought maybe something was fixed, but not so, "Song Of The sea" still doesn't work _ same problem as described above.

Maybe something to do with region "B" discs and why Nintendo Maniacs disc worked.
I took a look at both discs with BDinfo and there doesn't seem to be a difference _ both are at 29.976FPS.

And to further complicate things, the saved ISO of the Disney movie "Inside/Out" acts very strange.
SVP takes forever to kick in, it starts off at 161 FPS and the falls to 29.976 FPS and then it takes all day for SVP to ramp the frames up to 59.94 FPS.
After which, the SVP window shows up indicating that it's enabled.

What has changed or broke in SVP 4, but worked perfectly fine in SVP3 ???

If you want I can post the screen shots from BDinfo...

Jeff R 1
SVP3 works without Mediainfo. SVP4 uses it. This is the difference.

Chainik wrote:

I think problems with BD might be because SVP 4 tries to get media info via MediaInfo

21 (edited by Jeff R 1 21-11-2015 17:10:41)

MAG79 wrote:

Jeff R 1
SVP3 works without Mediainfo. SVP4 uses it. This is the difference.

Chainik wrote:

I think problems with BD might be because SVP 4 tries to get media info via MediaInfo

Is there a way to turn it off ?
Suite Francaise is reported by Mediainfo as 1 hour and 47 minutes long _ it works there.
Song Of The Sea comes up as 5 hours and 27 minutes and 252 audio streams _ seriously ??? hmm
No wonder SVP has trouble if it relies on information form that program.
Dorky Mediainfo program doesn't work very well.

EDIT:
Mediainfo does seem to be the problem, the Disney movie "Inside/Out" is reported as being over 7 hours long with over 300 sound tracks.
What about using BDinfo _ at least for Blu-ray files _ if that's even possible ?

MediaInfo is just a "industry standard".
Correct me if I'm wrong o_O

23 (edited by Jeff R 1 22-11-2015 01:42:05)

I wouldn't call a program that gets things wrong an industry standard _ the way I see it, it's just a free application that doesn't get updated to work properly because it's free.
The first screen shot is correct, but not the second one, it shows a movie that's 1 hour and 33 minutes long to be 5 hours and 27 minutes and with 252 audio streams. sad
I think this is a serious issue if SVP4 relies on Mediainfo to function correctly.
It isn't just this one disc or ISO, it's quite a few _ when it doesn't work it throws SVP4 into a "Not responding" mode.

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj623/jeffr15/Suite%20Francaise%201_zpsemqczi0e.png

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj623/jeffr15/Song%20Of%20The%20Sea%201_zpsrk3saxiz.png

OK, I've got LG's BD reader plus Hobbit-3 2-disk set (encrypted).
So I've installed AnyDVD HD, run SVP, run MPC-HC, choose "Open disk", and ...
... it's working w/o any issues!

What am I doing wrong?

----
Inserted 2nd disk with a lot of documentaries:

22:43:22.558 [i]: VideoPlayer: new ffdshow video [40864] in mpc-hc.exe (32-bit) [MPC-HC 1.7.10.0] on screen 0
22:43:41.501 [i]: Media: video 1920x1080 [PAR 1.000] at 23.976 fps [constant]

Note 20 seconds gap between detection of ffdshow and end of MediaInfo's job.
But after that it's still working.

25 (edited by Jeff R 1 30-11-2015 21:30:05)

Not all the discs do it, it's tough to pinpoint.
I'll try Hobbit, but that one works OK if I remember correctly.
"Song Of The Sea" and "Inside Out" are at least two of the bad ones, Song Of The Sea being the worst _ it simply will not load, the reader tries to lock on to a track and the SVP4 control panel freezes _ (Not Responding).
The frame counter in MPC will start of at 160 some frames and the slowly drop to 6 FPS _ then start increasing (very slowly) to 23.976 and then creep past that _ it never really plays.

We'll have to find a disc that we both have so you can replicate the problem.

I never did hear back from the developer of Mediainfo either, I sent him that screen shot where it shows a 1 hour and 33 minute movie as over 5 hours.