Topic: SVP 4 Gpu Usage

When running the new SVP 4, all rendering times of madVR are considerably higher. I find it curious.

Have you made changes to SVP 4 so that it uses more of the GPU instead of the CPU? What are those changes?

Re: SVP 4 Gpu Usage

What values are you see with SVP3 and what with SVP4?
I will check at my system. And we will compare our results.

3 (edited by Mystery 17-11-2015 07:32:15)

OK I did some comparison between SVP3 and SVP4 on 1080p videos.

SVP4 has higher usage both on the CPU and GPU, because its settings are higher.

One of the settings that makes the most difference is Motion Vector Precision being set to half-pixel instead of 1 pixel.

I had adjusted SVP3's settings so that it plays smoothly consistently for the various types of videos I'm playing. How does SVP4 manage its auto settings? Are the settings fixed per resolution or variable? Because the settings I set in madVR (fixed) depend on what is configured in SVP, yet for SVP, it has to be configured according to the "lowest common denominator" where if one video causes lag, settings had to be decreased for all videos of that resolution.

Mystery
While I don't have SVP4, I believe there shouldn't be any difference if the values are same between SVP3 and SVP4.

This my log when I use SVPFlow x64, it's about the same when I use SVP Manager.
http://i.imgur.com/LPdz2l2.png

Yeah it's more a matter of which settings are applied, as the rendering code is still exactly the same.

Mystery
I compared rendering time stats on my system. I see no difference. A little deviations about the same values.
Core i5-3570K, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti
MPC-HC 1.7.10, madVR 0.89.17
23.975 * (6:1) = 143.85 Hz

Post's attachments

SVP3_vs_SVP4.png, 3.93 kb, 276 x 135
SVP3_vs_SVP4.png 3.93 kb, 505 downloads since 2015-11-18 

7 (edited by Mystery 22-11-2015 06:09:27)

OK I'm giving SVP4 a try again. CPU/GPU usage is definitely higher for same settings. See attached images.

http://s20.postimg.org/brbfyi9nd/SVP3_Usage.png

http://s20.postimg.org/hgroitftl/SVP4_Usage.png

GPU Acceleration setting is set to the right video card.

Mystery
SVP3 uses Decrease frame size option to screen size. So picture size at madVR input is different: 1280x720 in the case with SVP3 and 1920x1080 with SVP4.
See movie string in madVR statistics.

9 (edited by Mystery 22-11-2015 15:49:08)

huh... that's on a 1080p display. Is Windows 10 dumb enough to shrink the resolution down to 720p on high DPI displays!?

on top of uninstalling SVP4 Dev without my permission...

Wow. So that means ever since I installed Windows 10, I've been watching videos in 720p and madVR wasn't doing anything. SVP4 is rendering in 1080p and madVR is downscaling it back down to 720p. That explains a lot.

Is Windows 10 dumb enough to shrink the resolution down to 720p on high DPI displays!?

I really doubt it shrinks anything wink

11 (edited by mashingan 22-11-2015 23:24:49)

Mystery
Are you using multiple display? Or watching from laptop and connecting it to 1080p display?

The feature to enlarge the UI on high DPI screens... apparently it's useless for watching videos. I have to de-activate that.

I still don't have much luck with SVP4. I removed Windows 10's feature to enlarge the UI and am now really working with 1080p content on 1080p display.

http://s20.postimg.org/rh279fqzd/SPU4_Usage.jpg

Both CPU and GPU usage are good, and the video plays fine in window mode, but as soon as I put it in full screen, I get tons of dropped frames.

Mystery wrote:

I still don't have much luck with SVP4. I removed Windows 10's feature to enlarge the UI and am now really working with 1080p content on 1080p display.

http://s20.postimg.org/rh279fqzd/SPU4_Usage.jpg

Both CPU and GPU usage are good, and the video plays fine in window mode, but as soon as I put it in full screen, I get tons of dropped frames.

(8+13) ms * 60 fps > 1000. Present times are fucked. Try lower madvr setting / EVR / new drivers / close other soft like browser

I'm using SVP3 and it works fine.

Max stats is 12.03 over 5 seconds. That can go up to 16ms

16 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 23-11-2015 04:04:46)

Mystery wrote:

Try either of the following (it is impossible to use both at the same time):

1. Enable "D3D fullscreen" in MPC-HC

2. Enable "use direct3d 11 for presentation" in MadVR

Mystery wrote:

I'm using SVP3 and it works fine.

Max stats is 12.03 over 5 seconds. That can go up to 16ms

Try disable "Decrease to screen size" in SVP3 and observe whether it still works fine or not.

It works if I use D3D fullscreen mode; although it flickers 4 times when switching to full-screen, not sure why (it didn't do that when I used that mode in the past)

Mystery
Please look at the mode in which your video adapter working. Maybe you have one of energy-saving states enabled when video is playing. Perhaps previous drivers make your adapter to work at higher frequency. wink
Higher frequency will give you smaller rendering time.

No power option is active. And then, I'm comparing SVP3 with SVP4. If my hardware was responsible for a slowdown, then SVP3 should suffer in the same way.

Currently, full-screen non-exclusive works with SVP3 but lag under SVP4.

Mystery wrote:

No power option is active. And then, I'm comparing SVP3 with SVP4. If my hardware was responsible for a slowdown, then SVP3 should suffer in the same way.

You could make absolute sure by going into the Nvidia control panel, making an application profile for MPC-HC, and setting it to run in high performance mode (or whatever it's called).

Yes that's set to High Performance; it had to be set manually.

23 (edited by Mystery 24-11-2015 05:52:30)

Now I'm using SVP3 again. I confirm that when playing videos with madVR's excluside full-screen mode disabled, and playing in full-screen, it works in SVP3 and lags in SVP4. With SVP4, it works when the window is maximized but not full-screen, and when playing full-screen with exclusive mode. Otherwise it lags.

Since SVP does its job and feeds the data back to ffdshow to send for rendering to the screen, and SVP doesn't do any of the rendering, I have no clue where the difference could be.

Because SVP3 and SVP4 are configured exactly the same, I shouldn't see any downside to instead using SVP4.

24 (edited by Mystery 24-11-2015 07:03:15)

Another difference between SVP3 and SVP4 is when using Windows feature to enlarge the UI. If it is set to set the UI to 150% of its size, on a 1080p display, SVP3 will downscale it to 720p and madVR will display it as is. With SVP4, it will process it in 1080p and then madVR will downscale the result to 720p.

But then realizing it behaves that way, I don't use that Windows feature even though everything appears tiny on the TV.

25 (edited by mashingan 24-11-2015 07:43:31)

Mystery wrote:

Because SVP3 and SVP4 are configured exactly the same

So you did configure SVP3 setting to be same with SVP4 by disabling "Decrease frame size", didn't you?
Last time I saw your post, you configured SVP3 "Decrease frame size: To screen size".

Very likely you're playing from laptop while attempting to watch with 1080p monitor by connecting to the laptop, is that correct?