Topic: svp 4 pro settings

hi smile
Would it be possible to get a description of what the different settings in svp 4 pro does in order to help us make better profile settings. thanks smile

2 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 15-11-2015 03:27:37)

Re: svp 4 pro settings

I made a post recently that might help.  It won't really tell you what each setting does, but it might still help if all you're trying to achieve is smoother playback or less CPU utilization without greatly reducing smoothness.

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:

Basically leave the settings at their default except for the following 4 settings if you need more performance (start with the first setting and then only go to the next one if you still need even more performance):

Motion vectors precision
Motion vectors grid
SVP Shader
SVP interpolation mode

The only exception is that you may want to manually set the SVP shader to "Sharp (anime)" for traditional non-CGI animated content.

For really low-end systems (read: 10 year old dual-core PCs without GPU acceleration), you need to mix and match the settings to get optimal smoothness, like using 1m + standard + 16px rather than adaptive + sharp + 28px (the latter being what SVP's automatic options would use (relevant thread).

Conversely, if you want to increase smoothness, simply increase the values for those 4 same settings, but in the exact opposite order (so do "Interpolation Mode" first, then "Shader", etc).

You may want to mix and match a bit though since some of the options at higher settings (like shader set to "Complicated" or vectors grid set to "8px") can give quite a few artifacts depending on the video ("Complicated" is bad for lower resolutions, thin lines, and sometimes lower framerates; "8px" becomes progressively worse at higher video resolutions).

And again, you may want to use "Sharp (anime)" for anime and the like regardless of your performance.

I don't have completely detailed in-depth technical knowledge of what the settings do, but I do know what effect they give on the videos.

Motion vectors precision: the smoothness of smaller movements
Motion vectors grid: the perceived speed of any motion
SVP Shader: "fluidity" (speed and smoothness)
SVP interpolation mode: mainly smoothness; the weirder the ratio is between the video framerate and your display's refreshrate (like 25fps on 60Hz vs 24fps on 60Hz) the bigger of a difference it makes

DISCLAIMER: These are only my opinions and may very well be completely wrong.

This is the sort of thing that needs to be written where it says "Need some valuable information here"
Or as I suggested a long time ago, when clicking on on it, one would be taken to the User Manual and the specific explanation of each item.

4 (edited by Fanty1972 15-11-2015 07:28:58)

Its the Motion vectors grid, that controlls the smoothness of smaller motion.
So more small that grid, so smaller motions are smoothed. But it comes on 2 costs: 1. much more processor power is needed. 2. smaller grids increase artefacts (strange things happen on the screen). Thats why 12 was (in the old SVP) considered the best compromise.

All these things exist in the old SVP and are explained there.

There is only one new. The last one. "Width of top coarse level". That has not existed in the old SVP.

5 (edited by Jeff R 1 15-11-2015 19:35:20)

Fanty1972 wrote:

Its the Motion vectors grid, that controlls the smoothness of smaller motion.
So more small that grid, so smaller motions are smoothed. But it comes on 2 costs: 1. much more processor power is needed. 2. smaller grids increase artefacts (strange things happen on the screen). Thats why 12 was (in the old SVP) considered the best compromise.

There is only one new. The last one. "Width of top coarse level". That has not existed in the old SVP.

Yes, but it's not easy to find, the last time I found information about it, I happened upon on by clicking links on the right pages.
It's easy a developer to find it, because he knows where it is, but for someone who is here for the first time, it can be a challenge to find.

EDIT:
I think this is it, but remember it being a bit more user friendly.

https://www.svp-team.com/wiki/SVP:Profi … ctors_grid