Topic: Can I use CPU-only but achieve the same quality as enabling GPU?

I've asked before if GPU conversion is higher quality than CPU and I was told that it was.

However, CUVID is broken in Windows 10 and I'm only performing offline conversion (using FFmpeg).

Can I use SVPFlow with GPU=FALSE and still have the same quality as GPU encoding provides?

Re: Can I use CPU-only but achieve the same quality as enabling GPU?

If in term of quality, the answer is yes.

If in term of performance, the answer is depended on you CPU strength.
If your CPU strength is not enough to handle your usual setting with GPU, you'll have to lower some setting in favor of performance.

Thanks.  I'm not concerned about speed because I'm doing an offline conversion and it is not real-time.

Just to confirm ... you are telling me that the "GPU=TRUE" and "GPU=FALSE" makes no difference in quality?

4 (edited by mashingan 22-10-2015 14:01:50)

Yes, "GPU=TRUE" only to help calculation, so it can lighten the burden for CPU.

Can I use SVPFlow with GPU=FALSE and still have the same quality as GPU encoding provides?

No. GPU assisted version is much more precise (floating point vs. integer math).
Moreover bicubic interpolation of MVs field and frame composition in linear light are not in use in CPU-only mode.

Thanks very much Chainik.  Do you know if anybody has solved the issue on Windows 10 and NVidia cards?

Unlike the others, I'm using FFmpeg and AviSynth to try and convert videos offline but FFmpeg/AviSynth/SVPFlow freeze when I use gpu=true. sad

I've also tried the free version of SVP 4 (I've also donated and am waiting for the full version release in November) and it has the same issue with the NVidia drivers.

sofakng wrote:

Do you know if anybody has solved the issue on Windows 10 and NVidia cards?

AMD has. wink

On a more serious note, do you have a CPU with integrated graphics?  Even low-end Intel graphics can be used to accelerate SVP.

Oh, interesting... I didn't see that SVSmoothFps() had a gpuid parameter.  I'll test that to see if my Intel CPU will work.

However, SVSuper and SVAnalyse do not have a gpuid so I'm assuming it will always use the first GPU?  If I do not enable GPU for those two functions will that affect quality?

9 (edited by mashingan 23-10-2015 00:02:25)

Chainik
Is operation using floating-point register expensive?