Topic: Stutter until Rewind?

Occasionally SVP 3.1.7 will produce stuttering video on my machine, but if I rewind the video a bit and play it again, it is smooth.  This happens in all video but is really obvious when panning over animated scenes. 

What's going on with that and, more importantly, how do I remedy it ?

Settings:
FIM: Adaptive (default)
SVP Shader: 13. Standard (default)
Target frame rate: To screen refresh rate (default; 60 Hz)
Motion vectors grid: 12 px. Average 2 (default)
Decrease grid step: Disabled (default)
Search radius: Large
Motion Vectors precision: Half pixel (default)
Wide search: Strongest
Artifacts masking: Disabled (default)
Processing of scene changes: Repeat frame (default)
Decrease frame size: Disabled (default)

I've noticed that my SVP "ranking" fluctuates from >1.00 to 0.97 (never lower, if it is <1, it's 0.97) as I watch video but this happens irrespective of stuttering.

Re: Stutter until Rewind?

When I use the Tearing Test, the red lines never tear but occassionally they will "stutter", or stop momentarily and then jump ahead non-fluidly.  What's going on, could it be the video files that I am using?

3 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 20-09-2015 07:45:12)

This sounds similar to the flickering issue I have with SVP 3.1.7; I only know of three "for sure" workarounds:

1. Use SVP4
2. Use SVP 3.1.6
3. Disable GPU acceleration in SVP 3.1.7

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:

This sounds similar to the flickering issue I have with SVP 3.1.7; I only know of three "for sure" workarounds:

1. Use SVP4
2. Use SVP 3.1.6
3. Disable GPU acceleration in SVP 3.1.7

I just tried option #1 and #3 (With different CPU thread counts).  Sadly the problem is still there, MPC-HC's red lines and SVP 4's orange line still stutter in their trek across the screen on occasion.  Even without the test lines on the screen the stuttering is obvious to me as I watch.

I've tried disabling all my GPU-driver based video enhancements too but nothing changes (besides the look of the video).

I saw in another thread that the way files are encoded can cause this.  Of course, that's one thing that I can't really test.

VB_SVP
You need to change renderer to:
- madVR exclusive mode; or
- EVR Custom with D3D Fullscreen mode; or
- Overlay Mixer.

6 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 20-09-2015 21:21:41)

VB_SVP wrote:

I just tried option #1 and #3 (With different CPU thread counts).  Sadly the problem is still there

OK then, sound like it might be the 24fps -> 60hz stutter issue I had, which is a very different issue.

Before I go digging through my old posts to find what exactly I did to fix the issue, can you first confirm/deny if manually setting 2x interpolation in the active SVP profile causes the issue to go away?  (this would confirm whether your issue is in fact what I am thinking)

MAG79 wrote:

VB_SVP
You need to change renderer to:
- madVR exclusive mode; or
- EVR Custom with D3D Fullscreen mode; or
- Overlay Mixer.

So far, this seems to have fixed the issue.

In MPC-HC, I had the real-time graph up (the CTRL+J one) and every time there was a stutter, which was often, there'd be a corresponding spike on that graph (even though MPC and FRAPS both said FPS was always 60).  Now the video is smooth and the spikes are rare.  D3D Fullscreen mode is inconvenient but it's better than the stutter.

So what causes this?

Before I go digging through my old posts to find what exactly I did to fix the issue, can you first confirm/deny if manually setting 2x interpolation in the active SVP profile causes the issue to go away?  (this would confirm whether your issue is in fact what I am thinking)

With interpolation mode said to 2m and D3D FS mode set to off, the tearing test line is better but it is still not always smoothly going back and forth across the screen (Though 2m mode makes it hard to tell).

VB_SVP wrote:

2m

Not 2m, I mean setting "target frame rate" to "Double source frame rate (2x)" while still having the rest of your SVP and MPC-HC settings set to what you'd normally have them at.

VB_SVP wrote:

2m

Not 2m, I mean setting "target frame rate" to "Double source frame rate (2x)" while still having the rest of your SVP and MPC-HC settings set to what you'd normally have them at.

That setting, with D3D FS off, eliminates most spikes on the MPC timing chart but it still doesn't seem fluid.

Compared to the 60 FPS D3D FS on though, the movement of the line isn't fluid.  Motion in the video, especially panning shots, seems to have much the same "jerkiness" as I was having by default but since it is only 48 FPS on a 60 Hz screen I can't really be sure.

Looking at the MPC stats, for all modes the wait is in the nanoseconds, though after a resize/seek/pause it can get as high as 9-12 mS and then it takes a few seconds to gradually drop back down to the nanosecond range.  When the chart spikes, the wait surges back up into the millisecond range sad

10 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 21-09-2015 00:51:32)

VB_SVP wrote:

seems to have much the same "jerkiness" as I was having by default but since it is only 48 FPS on a 60 Hz screen I can't really be sure.

Then what about 3x framerate?  If your issue is what I think it is, then 3x should be considerably smoother than 2.5x even though your display is only 60hz.

Also, just to clarify, your video is in fact 24fps (or 23.976fps), right? (rather than 25fps or 30fps)  You can find out in MPC-HC via File -> Properties, then the "MediaInfo" tab.

VB_SVP wrote:

seems to have much the same "jerkiness" as I was having by default but since it is only 48 FPS on a 60 Hz screen I can't really be sure.

Then what about 3x framerate?  If your issue is what I think it is, then 3x should be considerably smoother than 2.5x even though your display is only 60hz.

Also, just to clarify, your video is in fact 24fps (or 23.976fps), right? (rather than 25fps or 30fps)  You can find out in MPC-HC via File -> Properties, then the "MediaInfo" tab.

Yes, media is ~24 FPS.

Setting to 3x doesn't really help, line still skips, graph still spikes and periodic "jerk" in the video (especially in pans) is still there.  3x source has those issues for me in both D3D FS and normal FS mode.

60 FPS w/D3D FS seems to be ultra-smooth.  I dunno what's causing it, I even rolled back my video drivers as the latest AMD beta drivers (side note: does the AMD-only bluesky interpolator work on W7?  I've yet to get any of that stuff to work) were causing me other issues (couldn't run WPA or Aero) but that had no effect on my stutter-unless-in-d3d_FS_mode issue.

12 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 22-09-2015 08:35:03)

Ok well then it doesn't sound like your issue is the same as what I had.

For my issue the solution was to make sure SVP was set to use at least 4 threads and to also use the AVS MT dll from the below-quoted post:

dlr5668 @ svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=50963#p50963 wrote:

avs set mt https://www.dropbox.com/s/dckxoowjlzwku … 0150220.7z
avs+ http://puu.sh/iYos8/cc2b25410d.7z

close svp and player
put avs file in PLAYER folder (for example C:\Program Files (x86)\MPC-BE)
start svp and player

You're welcome to try this anyway, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't help your issue at all.

13 (edited by dlr5668 22-09-2015 12:11:19)

dont forget to install AviSynth 2.6 as well (and copy https://www.dropbox.com/s/dckxoowjlzwku … 0150220.7z to player).

AviSynth 2.6 is needed for DevIL.dll

dlr5668 wrote:

dont forget to install AviSynth 2.6 as well (and copy https://www.dropbox.com/s/dckxoowjlzwku … 0150220.7z to player).

AviSynth 2.6 is needed for DevIL.dll

...it is not needed for what I just mentioned seeing how I did not install AviSynth 2.6...