Topic: Bad perfomance on a laptop screen

I discovered a strange inconsistency in SVP's performance on external and built-in screens. If I connect my laptop to tv by hdmi everything works like a charm, CPU load is about 80%. But when I try to play the same video on my built-in screen CPU load is 100%, SVP index is only about 0.8 and playback lags like hell.. Both screens are 1080p, laptop specs: i5-4200H@2.8, Intel HD Graphics 4600, Nvidia 860m. I am guessing this is Optimus related, but can someone suggest a solution?

Re: Bad perfomance on a laptop screen

Windows 10?

Hmm... I was going to suggest that it could be an upscaling or downscaling issue, but you say both screens are 1080p.

Maybe it is still upscaling or downscaling on your laptop-screen (or using post-processing filters or something on your laptop screen, but not on the TV)...

Best way to test:

Have you tried running a 720p video in Windowed Mode? (So not upscaled or downscaled; basically don't resize, or go full-screen or anything, just play the video), both on the TV and then the Laptop Screen (and pay attention to your CPU usage and GPU usage over a 3 to 5 minutes period for example) and at the end see if there is any performance difference from the data (graphs for example on MSI Afterburner).

TheWorldsEnd
If you put here additional info in both cases (TV and Laptop screen) then we will can compare it and find the difference in SVP compute complexity.
Open video in Player, make it smooth win SVP, after that: SVP tray menu - Information - Additional information.

Also, if you're using MPC-HC, it's always a good idea to try "D3D Fullscreen" and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your answers, the problem is somewhat solved. Here's the Additional information contents for tv:
--------------------------------------------
Last processed file parameters:
Filename: [Yousei-raws] Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood 30 [BDrip 1920x1080 x264 FLAC].mkv
Frame size and frame rate: 1920x1080 pixels, 23.976 fps
After resize: 1280x720 pixels

Detected screen parameters
Screen size and refresh rate: 1280x720 pixels, 59 Hz

Video smoothing info
Smooth factor: 22:9
Resulting video frame rate: 58.608 fps
Repeat 1 frame every 2.6 sec

Selected profile: 1920x1080@24
-------------------------------------------------------
So SVP sees it like a 720p monitor, that's the reason for performance increase.. No idea why this happens, but I am OK with this, as long as SVP works smooth.
A little follow-up question: can I manually set SVP's output resolution for a profile? 75% is still too CPU heavy, and 50% is very low quality tongue

TheWorldsEnd
can I manually set SVP's output resolution for a profile?
Yes.
Try to use Decrease frame size to 720px height in Active profile settings window.
It must give you the same performance as with you TV monitor.

For information 720/1080 = 67%
wink

TheWorldsEnd

Screen size and refresh rate: 1280x720 pixels, 59 Hz

For some reason SVP-manager can't detect real refresh rate of your screen. Try to point it manualy by SVP tray menu - Screen selection - Force dialog.
You can get real refresh rate screen value from madVR info (Ctrl-L in player). Usually it something like 59.994 or 60.002
When you point it you will get more speedy smooth factor 5:2. It needs less CPU performance than 22:9 as in your case.

How it should be (additional info from my notebook):

Detected screen parameters
Screen size and refresh rate: 1366x768 pixels, 59.899 Hz

OK, thanks for the help!