Topic: Using SVP on low FPS* video?

The 100% CG animated movie Expelled from Paradise is listed as having the standard 24 FPS but it, as so much CG animation is, really much lower.   Normally SVP can make CG animation fluid and smooth, but while SVP improves the jerkiness of this movie's low true FPS (making it actually watchable) it doesn't make it smooth.

Is there any way to make this movie, and other low-FPS all-CG animation video, smoother?

Re: Using SVP on low FPS* video?

try to use "skip every 2nd frame". Does it help? Looks like you have bad source file. Example would be useful for devs.

Do you mean juddering sometimes in some scenes?
The causes are one or several points below
1. It actually 24fps but due to dynamically high motion, the processing exceeding 100% (for CPU). So it's the matter of CPU.
2. If the video source directly from BDMV, it means the studio didn't give enough frames for that particular scene. This can only be asked to the studio
3. If the video is encoded source, the cause maybe low setting in encoding. Even SVP cannot solve this. Ask the video encoder to re-encode the video.

FYI, I've watched Expelled from Paradise, and I experienced some lags in several scenes.
But that's because my PC is medium spec while the video is 1080p high-quality.

Animation? First 60 seconds have only simple pans - and that's why this source was picked for demonstration. Last 30 seconds actually have CG animation and they look as bad as any other CG animation in anime.

James D wrote:

try to use "skip every 2nd frame".

Sure it will help wih smoothness but it will just destroy the video. 12 FPS is way too low for interpolation.

James D wrote:

Looks like you have bad source file. Example would be useful for devs.

Get any full-CG anime (Sidonia no Kishi, Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio, GITS: Arise...) and enjoy^Wsuffer.

mashingan wrote:

3. If the video is encoded source, the cause maybe low setting in encoding.

What.

mashingan wrote:

2. If the video source directly from BDMV, it means the studio didn't give enough frames for that particular scene. This can only be asked to the studio

Yeap. Except "this particular scene" is 100% of the scenes.
It's an anime, what do you expect? Even CG is animated at 8/12 fps.

vivan wrote:
James D wrote:

try to use "skip every 2nd frame".

Sure it will help wih smoothness but it will just destroy the video. 12 FPS is way too low for interpolation.

I don't want my browse history contain googling and downloading anime, sorry.
But you can download utility called MKV.toolnix and create short example without reencoding. Just run mmg.exe and on 2nd tab select split by keyframes and select frame numbers. Then just upload on mega resulted 10MB file, it's fast.

Is this really what the "skip every 2nd frame" is designed to do?  I tried it and it actually made the video noticeably choppier and the motion less smooth sad

Just for experimentation, I'd be interested in an option that eliminates from the video all frames that aren't unique and replaces them with interpolated frames.

7 (edited by nemoW 05-07-2015 21:42:59)

VB_SVP wrote:

I'd be interested in an option that eliminates from the video all frames that aren't unique and replaces them with interpolated frames.

Agreed. But maybe SVP authors have already tried this method and resulting video looks chopper too?

VB_SVP
Just for experimentation, I'd be interested in an option that eliminates from the video all frames that aren't unique and replaces them with interpolated frames.

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1041