101 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 28-06-2015 01:07:33)

Re: Convert Videos to 60fps in just a few clicks

Ok, let me put it this way - SVPtube cannot open things in foobar2000 (I just tried).  I have to use foobar2000 for proper ABX-ing because my sound card's drivers do not support changing the output sampling rate on-the-fly unless it uses ASIO.

EDIT: Actually, SVPtube isn't opening things in even MPC-HC even though it just did 5 minutes ago when I initially tested it, and I even closed and re-opened SVPtube.  Needless to say, my CYS mod "just works" as long as it doesn't update (I can manually set it to not update in Pale Moon, but I want to see if my 5.6.26.1 version number fixes the auto-update issue).

102 (edited by Mystery 28-06-2015 01:38:51)

Now that's really cool. With the software, you can download the best audio/video combinations, and if you previously had a video of higher quality and you had 192kb AAC, you can download the 256kb AAC and replace the previous audio while keeping your video.

For 480p videos where the best video is non-DASH VP8 with 128kb Vorbis, it will download that one. Then if you click "Scan" again, it will say "Better audio available" and you can replace its stream by the 256kb AAC stream.

I just replaced the audio stream of 30 videos in a row with a single click. Pretty cool!

Also the "fake positives" have been resolved when scanning for better versions. So now it appears to be working flawlessly!

This version has a downloader and mass-downloader that should be working optimally.
http://spiritualselftransformation.com/ … 2-beta.exe

Have you tried the Media Encoder? Any issues with it?

104 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 28-06-2015 04:22:52)

BTW, I assume that 160kbps Opus is set to be the 2nd best quality in case that YouTube depreciates 256kbps AAC? (considering you apparently already have to do some fancy stuff just to retrieve it...)

I take the highest bitrate, and for that bitrate, I first select Opus, then Vorbis, then AAC.

So yes, 256kb AAC is first choice, then 160kb Opus, then 128kb Vorbis.

Mystery wrote:

Have you tried the Media Encoder? Any issues with it?

I will report my experiences with it when I actually try it - I still have not yet done so.

107 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 28-06-2015 19:25:42)

Apologies for the double-post, but I just realized - you're testing in Windows Media Player?  WMP doesn't support replaygain, so how were you handling the volume difference for ABX-ing between AAC and Opus?  I mean, it's known that the human ear will treat sounds that are even the slightest bit louder as sounding better...

UPDATE: For example, your "Michel Teló" example has the AAC version being 0.03dB louder.

...or maybe I'm just being overly OCD?

Tested in WMP, VLC and MPC-HC. I just adjust the volume manually.

109 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 29-06-2015 04:55:32)

Anyway, regarding the actual encoding, everything seems fine with the 18-second test clip I tried.  However, I couldn't help but notice that the bitrate even at the higher encoding setting is a bit low... the source was 3.5Mbps @ 720p25 while the final encoding was 5Mbps @ 720p60 - unless the program calculates the increase in bitrate based on what the source bitrate is combined with the resulting resolution and framerate?  Then in that case it'd likely be fine since my main worry was for things of a higher bitrate.

Secondly, I also noticed that the resulting video is 59.97fps rather than a flat 60fps.  Considering that I'm encoding from a flat 25fps and SVP has the 2.4x option for 25--to->60 which would also result in a flat 60, I'm wondering if the final encoding will actually have the video be a teeny bit slower than it should be...

Thirdly, with a long video (read: 1+ hour), you need quite a lot of disk space... I did not realize this as I was using an 8GB ramdisk for the program's temp folder.

Lastly, the interpolated framerate choices are quite limited - there's minimal choices for 24fps and especially 25fps content if you want to do an exact multiple of the source framerate that is greater than 2x.  Yes you could use 120fps for 24fps, but there really should be some thing(s) in the middle like 72fps and 96fps, not to mention 75fps and 100fps for 25fps content.

EDIT:, and the big one - the encoder can't browse your hard drive for videos!  It insists on only looking in the specified NGP folder, so I'm cheating by using symbolic links.

EDIT 2: Oh. my. bloody. nora.  8GB of TEMP data only encoded a whopping 1 and a half minutes?  The whole video is over an hour!  I don't even have a single hard drive that's 500GB except for a single USB 2.0 external drive, but that would take forever!

EDIT 3: I just realized that the preview.avi isn't even interpolated...so why does NGP even need decode the source video into a lossless format then?  Can't it just decode directly from the source video file?

EDIT 4: Whelp, I know why I can't decode directly from the source file now.  Simply put, it doesn't work - it just gives me a video with a black screen.  What I tried to do was select my video, then delete the preview.avi file (which normally it doesn't let me do, but for some reason it let me do it one time), and then copy my own AVI file and rename it preview.avi and put in into the according Temp folder.

This most likely will be the final v1.2. Test it to make sure it starts, runs and updates your database properly. It will delete your database file, but in this version, there will be a basic Export/Import feature to allow you to keep your database between versions.
http://spiritualselftransformation.com/ … 2-beta.exe

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:

Anyway, regarding the actual encoding, everything seems fine with the 18-second test clip I tried.  However, I couldn't help but notice that the bitrate even at the higher encoding setting is a bit low... the source was 3.5Mbps @ 720p25 while the final encoding was 5Mbps @ 720p60 - unless the program calculates the increase in bitrate based on what the source bitrate is combined with the resulting resolution and framerate?  Then in that case it'd likely be fine since my main worry was for things of a higher bitrate.

The bitrate is determined by the Quality value. A lower value increases the quality. I'm only doing fixed-quality encoding, and you specify the quality value I pass over to x264.exe. The only downside is that you cannot predict the final file size.

Secondly, I also noticed that the resulting video is 59.97fps rather than a flat 60fps.  Considering that I'm encoding from a flat 25fps and SVP has the 2.4x option for 25--to->60 which would also result in a flat 60, I'm wondering if the final encoding will actually have the video be a teeny bit slower than it should be...

I was wondering why I had done it that way as well. It was repeating a frame every 16 seconds. I tried changing it to 60fps. As a result, the encoded file size was slightly larger, there was an effect to the video that looked less natural, and there were both dropped frames and repeated frames. So overall, I decided to revert back. Perhaps I could add an "Advanced" mode so that you can edit the script yourself before encoding.

Thirdly, with a long video (read: 1+ hour), you need quite a lot of disk space... I did not realize this as I was using an 8GB ramdisk for the program's temp folder.

I was thinking about adding another option for opening the file.

Lastly, the interpolated framerate choices are quite limited - there's minimal choices for 24fps and especially 25fps content if you want to do an exact multiple of the source framerate that is greater than 2x.  Yes you could use 120fps for 24fps, but there really should be some thing(s) in the middle like 72fps and 96fps, not to mention 75fps and 100fps for 25fps content.

I'll consider it.

EDIT:, and the big one - the encoder can't browse your hard drive for videos!  It insists on only looking in the specified NGP folder, so I'm cheating by using symbolic links.

I work only from the database because there are various file-management features that depend on it.

EDIT 3: I just realized that the preview.avi isn't even interpolated...so why does NGP even need decode the source video into a lossless format then?  Can't it just decode directly from the source video file?

The reason I encode to AVI is because otherwise there are all kinds of issues when opening various files. Sometimes the pixel ratio will be wrong. It's kind of a wildcard to open all file formats. Plus, I was also having a hard time reading the proper pixel ratio from the source file directly. By converting to AVI, everything just works all the time. Plus, the videos I tested had serious blocking artifacts and although I tried AviSynth deblocking, simply converting to AVI with ffmpeg did a better job at removing the blocking... somehow... Basically, I convert to AVI so that it just works all the time. In cases where it would produce a file that is too large, or that it doesn't work for whatever reason, I could offer another option to open the file as Plan B.

v1.2 is out.
https://github.com/mysteryx93/NaturalGr … s/tag/v1.2

Hey... since AAC always has treble a little bit higher, wouldn't that be easy to cancel out? Or would there be a way to neutralize the grainy aspect of the audio? Or perhaps by understanding the nature of audio artifacts, cancel out those artifacts? Or perhaps predict missing data based on the data that is available?

We're talking a lot about how to improve images, and there has to be ways to also improve the audios. Anything has been done in that area?

113 (edited by toaster511 01-07-2015 02:10:21)

So, did you find a way to get format 141? (256 AAC)
As much as I love and use opus, the youtube opus versions miss a lot of details (probably because of multiple transcoding, especially when source is not lossless audio).

2 months ago they stopped using AAC 256 and also changed to VP9 (which again is not good to me, it makes picture blocky, but with a bit more details, compared to H264)

Edit: You can see here the worst case scenario VP9 I've found, and that's it at 4K where it's best. Lol! The VP9 file is 100 mb larger and more bitrate, but result...
http://imgur.com/a/9oQVw [Top photo is H264, the blocky one is VP9]

My point: VP9 always uses vector blocks to mask grain, which to my eye is horrible. So don't bother preferring it to H264 just yet. Probably when they improve it in the future.
Btw, great job! Just tried your tool and it's so much easier than before. Thanks!

114 (edited by Mystery 01-07-2015 02:11:36)

Yes, now I download the 256kb AAC stream which is available on MOST videos. As for the video, I find WebM to be better when its file size is no more than 35% smaller than MP4, so I download the right one accordingly. On some 360p or 480p videos, the non-DASH VP8 WebM has the best quality because its bitrate is the highest, so it will download that one, and afterwards you can upgrade that video to replace its embedded audio with the 256kb AAC stream.

Btw, people downloaded the software from 30 countries this week.

115 (edited by toaster511 01-07-2015 09:22:17)

Which software do you use to get the 256 AAC? I'm youtube-dl user, but still it's not showing. They removed them 2 months ago.
Edit: I was not reading right. All videos before May 2015 should have 256 AAC. Only the newer miss it.

Also, can you include option for Multi-Core selector in the Encode window? I have 4790K + EVO 212 but it's still reaching 102°C. This is not a problem of your software, but x264 as it's power hungry.

Uhhh... if your CPU is hitting that temp at full load, then maybe you should tweak your fan curve a bit...

The whole re-encoding process is very hungry. Not so much x264.exe, but especially NNEDI3 and especially EEDI3. You can't ask your computer to do any real computing work if it heats like that. Either tweak or change your fan, or put some cubes of ice under it  big_smile

118 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 01-07-2015 20:56:15)

Or heck re-apply some thermal paste and/or re-mount your heatsink.  If you're not overclocked, then your after-market heatsink should definitely keep your CPU below 100c unless you've set your fan(s) to run at really low speeds (like 300rpm) even at high temps.  If you're overclocked, then during your stability testing you should have seen just as hot if not hotter temperatures.

119 (edited by toaster511 02-07-2015 17:18:01)

I guess it's just that the PC heats my whole room like sauna. So idle temps are always 45-46. I think it's pretty normal for x264 to reach temperatures that high.
And no, I didnt use NNEDI, just >60fps only. But even in Handbrake reaches 100c. So my only option is to limit CPU affinity and disabling some cores.

Any operation you throw at it (encoding, encrypting or decoding any audio, video or data) will put your CPU at 100%. If you want it to stay lower, you can put your computer in Power Saving mode (see power management settings).

121 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 03-07-2015 05:19:35)

toaster511, you wouldn't happen to live more towards the equator, would you?  I mean, where I live (Northeast Ohio) the average low for outside temperature at this time of year (summer) is around 60f/15c.

Anyway, Mystery, remember when I said that I calculated that I would need like a 500GB hard drive to convert this longer than 1 hours video I had?  Turns out it only needed 50GB...which is odd considering that 90 seconds took 8GB...

Nevertheless, 50GB is much more manageable.

However, the source (720p 25fps) was 2.1GB and the re-encode (720p 60fps) was only 2.8GB with encoding quality set to 18...I would have expected something more towards 4GB honestly.

I'm using the "slowest" preset with x264 which reduces the output file size while keeping the same quality.

I'm just about to release an updated version that will allow you to open the file with DirectShowSource, and that allows you to customize the script at will.

123 (edited by Mystery 03-07-2015 23:44:59)

Try this version smile This should make it easier. You can customize SVP's output frame rate at will by changing the script yourself.
https://github.com/mysteryx93/NaturalGr … tag/v1.2.1

The reason I don't offer DirectShowSource by default is that for some files, you'll get the wrong pixel aspect ratio, while other files will fail to open. I tried with one file and got the error "The renderer won't speak to me!"

124 (edited by toaster511 04-07-2015 20:50:11)

toaster511, you wouldn't happen to live more towards the equator, would you?  I mean, where I live (Northeast Ohio) the average low for outside temperature at this time of year (summer) is around 60f/15c.

I live in UK, but it's a small room for the PC. Thinking I might have put the fan in the wrong side... SSD used to be 25-30c at most, now is reaching 50. Hopefully because of the summer and not the fan.
P.S. Sorry for offtopic

Edit: I tried today the new version a few times and it's crashing most of the times when I click preview. Sometimes its "preparing file", other times is Access Violation in line 15 of AVS script. I noticed this happening when NEEDI3 are enabled. Maybe because I have 2xNEEDI3 enabled?
Sharpen Final option says 100 is the maximum, but never allows more than 50 smile You can fix that.
Also, why did you limit the x264 to 18 maximum quality? I needed more than that to preserve quality loss from all that transcoding. Hope you will allow it. Thanks

125 (edited by Mystery 06-07-2015 22:15:11)

I'm making changes that increase both the quality and the speed.

- Changing x264 encoding preset from slowest to veryslow gives a considerable advantage

- Changing NNEDI3 to run in mode 256 instead of 128 increases quality and smoothness

- Adding pixel shift correction to NNEDI3/EEDI3 and doing the resize at the same time slightly improves the image

- Running x264 in pipe mode allows separating AviSynth process from x264 process, giving separate 2GB available memory to each. It would also allow using x264 in 64-bit mode BUT official binaries don't support MP4 output (only raw H264) and FFMPEG fails to merge raw H264 into MKV, but it works with MP4. My current version of x264 does output to MP4 but I don't remember where I got that build. I can't replace it until I find another version with MP4 support.

And most importantly

- Applying SVP between the 2 frame doubles, instead of at the end, is producing an output that is considerably sharper!!

- Changing the way threads are managed is GREATLY enhancing performance!! Far outweigthing the costs of the above increased settings.

Before I was encoding on "Noisy SD" preset at 4.7fps. Now it encodes at 6.3fps.