Re: MakeN PotPlayer Guide - Not Dead Yet 2021 W.I.P.

Slim wrote:

7- Don't use Nvidia CUDA video decoder in PotPlayer or Lav Video Decoder while using madVRs image doubling. ?? why not?? If so,,, what do we use.. and where do we change this settings...

I would really appreciate a guide for people like me who are noobs but have good pc with nvidia and would like to use madvr!! tongue

Hi.
Slim, just use MadVR means do you need a powerful gpu, then thinking of using it with svp require all the power gpu you can get, NVidia cuda might take some unnecessary gpu power while using madvrs image doubling and svp. Nvidia cuda shine more when your CPU is low-end or mid-end and your gpu high-end.

you said " what do we use " .then I say use PotPlayers Built-in FFmpeg Decoder or Lav Video Decoder. Where do you change this settings? Go to 3- PotPlayer configurations > step 2, for PotPlayers FFmpeg Video Decoder. Go to 5- Extras/Lav Video Decoder > http://www.overpic.net/viewer.php?file= … tvxci8.jpg , the follow condition 5, for Lav Video Decoder.
There you have two Video Decoders, what to take? its up to you, try both and see what is best for you.

About MadVR, check this http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic … 940#p48940

Good Luck.

Guide Updated

-Added madVRs Scaling Algorithms and image doubling in 5- Extras/2- MadVR Video Renderer/Advanced settings.
-Added madVRs Scaling Algorithms and image doubling Presets, as examples and point to start for new users and users who want to increase quality for anything less than 1080p.

Note: there is not " best " preset or settings here, the best preset or settings at the end, are the ones you like and make. You can share them if you want here to everyone see them / try them.

378 (edited by Mwani 16-05-2015 01:23:39)

Hi thanks I followed your basic instructions and I'm noticing an improvement smile I tried to use your guide on an older computer I had and it didn't work that well, because it didn't have enough power. Now I have a new computer with a dedicated graphics card and things are much better, however I am noticing a "blur" in between frames. I don't like it. Is that normal?

If you can help me to get rid of it I would much appreciate it.

My computer specs are:

Intel Core i5-4210H

CPU @ 2.90GHz

8gb ram

64 bit operating system (Windows 8.1)
x64 based processor

NVIDIA GeForce 940M

Thank you!

Edit: also now I'm trying to watch a 1080p movie and it's saying frame drops are possible due to high cpu usage. When I check in task manager it is indeed running at 100% during playback. I used all your recommended settings including using "Built-in FFmpeg Decoder" and I basically left everything else alone and didn't mess with SVP settings since I didn't understand it that much.

Edit: I tried changing to Nvidia Cuda and it still went up to 99% and gave me the same message. What should I do?

Edit: I notice with 720p video I don't go above 50%

Edit edit: I tried adjusting the profiles according to the instructions you gave on the first page. No matter what I do it seems that the active profile will push my CPU usage to 100% on 1080p video. I've tried it with both Nvidia Cuda and FFmpeg decoder.

With 720p video I have a lot of free range to play with and have actually found settings that work for me. I think it's good but I'm surprised I'm not able to do the same with 1080p video as my computer should be powerful enough for it. Do you have any suggestions for me? Maybe I can allocate more RAM to the program?

379 (edited by Maken1 16-05-2015 16:53:35)

Mwani wrote:

Hi thanks I followed your basic instructions and I'm noticing an improvement smile I tried to use your guide on an older computer I had and it didn't work that well, because it didn't have enough power. Now I have a new computer with a dedicated graphics card and things are much better, however I am noticing a "blur" in between frames. I don't like it. Is that normal?

My computer specs are:

Intel Core i5-4210H

CPU @ 2.90GHz

8gb ram

x64 based processor

NVIDIA GeForce 940M

Thank you!

Edit: also now I'm trying to watch a 1080p movie and it's saying frame drops are possible due to high cpu usage. When I check in task manager it is indeed running at 100% during playback. I used all your recommended settings including using "Built-in FFmpeg Decoder" and I basically left everything else alone and didn't mess with SVP settings since I didn't understand it that much.

Edit: I tried changing to Nvidia Cuda and it still went up to 99% and gave me the same message. What should I do?

Edit edit: I tried adjusting the profiles according to the instructions you gave on the first page. No matter what I do it seems that the active profile will push my CPU usage to 100% on 1080p video. I've tried it with both Nvidia Cuda and FFmpeg decoder.

With 720p video I have a lot of free range to play with and have actually found settings that work for me. I think it's good but I'm surprised I'm not able to do the same with 1080p video as my computer should be powerful enough for it. Do you have any suggestions for me? Maybe I can allocate more RAM to the program?

Hi hi, sorry for the delay, been busy.

Ok i dont know somethings because i need you to provide me like screenshots if possible or what settings are in use in the active svp profile of the only or few 1080p videos that are you trying to play or if you are using MadVR video renderer or EVR CP video renderer or what settings are you using in madvr in case if its in use and what version of PotPlayer are you using...

The most important to do here to figure out what is causing your performance lost would be:

1- Reset PotPlayer to it default settings.
2- When PotPlayer is reset to it default settings and without change any settings, " play any video " and see your CPUs usages. They should be low or normal.
3- If PotPlayer ( default settings ) is working okey with normal or low CPUs usages, change just one settings at time and test play the video(s) again. I mean if all working ok with PotPlayers default, then try to use MadVR video renderer ( reset it to defaults ) to see what happen. If all working ok and gettings again normal or decent or low CPUs usages using MadVR video renderer ( it default settings ), use SVP then and check again.

Im sure something there you were changing/testing/toying in MadVR in case if its in use and your SVPs active profile settings, are too high and pushing your hardware to it limits, best is disable and enable, test, lower settings then test again until you find out what settings is pushing the limits of your CPU when playing for example 1080p videos ( as you said ). 1080p videos will push high your CPUs and GPUs using SVP and much more using MadVR. Not all 1080p videos are encoded the same as others, if their framerates are constant or variable, they will affect by much or less your final performance. 23.976 fps are the low and should give best performance, things change when they are 25 fps ,29.97 fps, 30 fps and 60 fps. To know the original frames of the videos are you playing with / without SVP, press Tab while the video is playing.

Try to use the PotPlayer version im recommending, it work best with Nvidia Cuda. About the SVP profiles, i need to know what settings are active in the active profile of the 1080p video(s) you are trying to play.

good luck and keep me informed.

380 (edited by Yuuko 20-05-2015 16:28:04)

Hi and thanks for this guide!

I followed the instructions exactly but i have a little problem.
All the videos run faster - more specifically they run with the refresh rate of my monitor and not with 24fps  ..as seen on the screenshot
Is AviSynth at fault? I replaced the .dll from SVP with the .dll in the  syswow64 folder
http://i.imgur.com/O64eMIZ.png

I have another question:

As advanced option I've chosen the MadVR Video Renderer but the settings in PotPlayer can't be opened ..see screenshot
I've run the install.bat with administrator privileges and the path was not altered
http://image.yogile.com/zqdbgjac/difksqgsxlpvx7ml6n5tby-large.png

Thanks in advance!

Yuuko
Do you have MadVR installed? It must be installed separately.

MAG79 wrote:

Yuuko
Do you have MadVR installed? It must be installed separately.

Hi dude!
As already mentioned - I've run the install.bat with administrator privileges and the path was not altered

Hi Yuuko

Like MAG79 said, i think it could be Madvr not properly installed or the Player does not detect it.

1- What version of PotPlayer are you using ?
2- What version of MadVR did you installed ?
3- Try EVR CP video renderer and see if it work ok.
4- Is SVP active when you was playing that mkv movie ?

384 (edited by Yuuko 20-05-2015 16:30:04)

Maken1 wrote:

Hi Yuuko

Like MAG79 said, i think it could be Madvr not properly installed or the Player does not detect it.

1- What version of PotPlayer are you using ?
2- What version of MadVR did you installed ?
3- Try EVR CP video renderer and see if it work ok.
4- Is SVP active when you was playing that mkv movie ?

Hi Maken1!

1- PotPlayer 1.6.54013 (32Bit)   -> I've just updated to the latest version 1.6.54133 - no difference
2- madVR v0.88.8
3- EVR CP works - however, it's not so significant to use madVR for me - but would be nice if it would work
4- SVP is active

The problem occurs only when I turn on ffdshow raw video filter and SVP is running - the video looks as if it would fast forward or accelerated  sad
It runs continuously with the refresh rate of the monitor 74fps and not 24fps

Yuuko

Ok lets better do like a fresh installs and more in my way ok? to see hows it going for you after.

1- Uninstall PotPlayer, including it remaining folder when it ask you, i know its not need but just in case and install the recommended PotPlayer v1.6.53356 32-bits + open code pack again. Follow instruction for installation as the guide.
2-Unistall Ffdshow again and install it again ( last version ). Follow instruction as guide.
3- Unistall AviSynth, including the one you manually pasted in system. Install AviSynth again but SVP version the one from SVP download page. Dont copy and paste manually other avisynth dlls to system.
4-Unistall Lav Filters and Madvr as administrator, delete their folders. Download lastest Lav Filters, copy and paste the folder in a different place ( not the one where it was before ). Install their .bats as administrator. Download MadVR v0.87.21, copy and paste the folder in a different place ( not the one where it was before ). Install it as administrator, then click in restore default settings .batch file.
5-Download lastest Reclock and install it.
6-Reset SVP Profiles and select the CPU more closer to your CPU.
7-Follow instruction as the guide to install and configure ffdshow raw video filter.

Even if its not significant as you said the use of madVR, it must work anyway. Im sure something is missing there...

Ok once all set, follow these steps:

1- Run PotPlyar as default, dont change anything. Play that MKV movie and make sure all is ok.
2- Configure PotPlayer as the guide,set EVR CP as video renderer and set ReClock as audio renderer. Dont use SVP yet. Play that MKV movie again, make sure all running ok.
3- To this point if all working ok, now launch SVP, play that MKV movie and make sure everything is ok.
4- Set MadVR video renderer in PotPlayer ( follow instructions as the guide ). Dont use SVP. Play that MKV movie again, check if its working.

Good luck, keep me informed.

386 (edited by Yuuko 22-05-2015 18:14:05)

Maken1 wrote:

Yuuko

Ok lets better do like a fresh installs and more in my way ok? to see hows it going for you after.

1- Uninstall PotPlayer, including it remaining folder when it ask you, i know its not need but just in case and install the recommended PotPlayer v1.6.53356 32-bits + open code pack again. Follow instruction for installation as the guide.
2-Unistall Ffdshow again and install it again ( last version ). Follow instruction as guide.
3- Unistall AviSynth, including the one you manually pasted in system. Install AviSynth again but SVP version the one from SVP download page. Dont copy and paste manually other avisynth dlls to system.
4-Unistall Lav Filters and Madvr as administrator, delete their folders. Download lastest Lav Filters, copy and paste the folder in a different place ( not the one where it was before ). Install their .bats as administrator. Download MadVR v0.87.21, copy and paste the folder in a different place ( not the one where it was before ). Install it as administrator, then click in restore default settings .batch file.
5-Download lastest Reclock and install it.
6-Reset SVP Profiles and select the CPU more closer to your CPU.
7-Follow instruction as the guide to install and configure ffdshow raw video filter.

Even if its not significant as you said the use of madVR, it must work anyway. Im sure something is missing there...

Ok once all set, follow these steps:

1- Run PotPlyar as default, dont change anything. Play that MKV movie and make sure all is ok.
2- Configure PotPlayer as the guide,set EVR CP as video renderer and set ReClock as audio renderer. Dont use SVP yet. Play that MKV movie again, make sure all running ok.
3- To this point if all working ok, now launch SVP, play that MKV movie and make sure everything is ok.
4- Set MadVR video renderer in PotPlayer ( follow instructions as the guide ). Dont use SVP. Play that MKV movie again, check if its working.

Good luck, keep me informed.

I'm very grateful for your help Maken1 !!!

Now I can start the mad home cinema control over PotPlayer and edit the settings smile

But still same problem..
After uninstall and install i've followed the steps until getting the issue again at step 3:

Step 1: = 24fps

Step 2: EVR CP no SVP = 24fps

Step 3: EVR CP + SVP -> ReClock - Video Stream: No Video Stream found (red tray icon) = 74fps

Step 4: madVR no SVP = 74fps

madVR + SVP -> ReClock - Video Stream: No Video Stream found (red tray icon) = 74fps

Can I already start to despair or is there still hope for me?  big_smile

Yuuko

1- Give me your PC specs and your monitor model. Im wondering if your monitor is 60 hz or 74 hz ?
2- When it shows 74 fps does the video file playback normally? as when it does with Step 2 ( 24 fps ). I mean its running normal or the images is moving fast and audio like if you were fast fowarding ?
3- Show me the SVP active profile settings. I want to know if the settings that are active are ok.

Good luck.

388 (edited by Yuuko 22-05-2015 19:45:23)

Maken1 wrote:

Yuuko

1- Give me your PC specs and your monitor model. Im wondering if your monitor is 60 hz or 74 hz ?
2- When it shows 74 fps does the video file playback normally? as when it does with Step 2 ( 24 fps ). I mean its running normal or the images is moving fast and audio like if you were fast fowarding ?
3- Show me the SVP active profile settings. I want to know if the settings that are active are ok.

Good luck.

1:
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Gene C2
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K, 3500 MHz
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti Gaming 3G
RAM: G Skill TridentX F3-1600C7-8GTX   16GB Kit
Drive: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster ZxR

Monitor: Asus VN279QLB
In NVIDIA Control Panel I've set a custom refresh rate to 74Hz, but with the native refresh rate of 60Hz it's the same - all videos run with 60fps

2:
- The playback is always normal without SVP, even with madVR @74fps

with SVP
- Audio runs at normal speed and sounds normal
- Video runs at normal speed, too  -  but it looks as if it would fast forward

I also do not know if it's maybe normal that PotPlayer showes on Output FPS: 23.98(~24) -> ~74     or must it be so FPS: 23.98(~24) -> ~24  ???

3:
Profile has been reset and auto-set to:
CPU performance level: 5
Rendering mode: g.GPU
Selected profiles set: 5g (auto-detect)

Here is the 1920x1080@24 profile  -  with Monitor on 60Hz:

Last processed file parameters:
Filename:
Frame size and frame rate: 1920x1080 pixels, 23.976 fps

Detected screen parameters
Screen size and refresh rate: 1920x1080 pixels, 60 Hz

Video smoothing info
Smooth factor: 5:2
Resulting video frame rate: 59.94 fps
After ReClock: 60 fps (ReClock icon must be green)

Selected profile: 1920x1080@24

Profile settings of video processing
[ExMethod=MSmoothFps_3]        Frames interpolation mode: Adaptive (default)
[ExAlgo=13]            SVP shader: 13. Standard (default)
[ExMulti=MON]            Target frame rate: To screen refresh rate (default)
[ExBlockSize=16x16:2]        Motion vectors grid: 12 px. Average 2 (default)
[ExRecalc=65000:8]        Decrease grid step: To small step 6-8 px.
[TypeDist=Exh:-10:SATD]        Search radius: Average (default)
[ExPel=2]            Motion vectors precision: Half pixel (default)
[Badsad=2000:-24]        Wide search: Strongest
[ExSadml=0]            Artifacts masking: Disabled (default)
[ExBlend=false]            Processing of scene changes: Repeat frame (default)
[ExDwnResize=MON]        Decrease frame size: To screen size

Settings by menu
[svp_libflowgpu=1]        GPU-acceleration (OpenCL): true
[ExThreads=0]            Processing threads: Auto
[StereoMode=0]            Stereo mode (3D): Plain 2D
[AutoCrop=1]            Auto crop black bars: true [detecting...]
[HandCrop=None]            Frame crop: Disabled
[Borderlight=None]        Outer lighting: Disabled
[VDelay=0]            Video delay: 0 ms
[ExDemo=0]            Demonstration mode: false
[ExTearingTest=0]        Tearing test: false
[StopSmoothDelayOnRewind=-1]    Turn off on seek: Don't turn off

389 (edited by Maken1 22-05-2015 22:38:10)

Yuuko

Hi, nice rig smile

ok then its normal with madvr show 74 fps or any other custom hz you make without svp. My monitor is 60 hz and when i use madvr it shows 60 fps , without svp and the video file looks normal when EVR CP is in use and showing 23.976 fps or 24 fps (without svp).

If you want to make custom hz, try 72 ( 24 fps * 3 ).

Correct me if im wrong but, is this your first time watching videos with interpolation? maybe all the " smoothness or fluidity " makes you feel sometimes its running fast ?. If audio and video play at 1x speed what is normal, then everything is ok. Now if sound go fast with the video when you set +0.5x or 1x speeds thats other thing.

The SVP active profile for your 1080p videos is ok for the kind of your pc specs, nothing bad there. I think all is ok there but you tell me ?

Edit 2: i tried make custom hz, used random just to test something, it was 65 hz with monitors native resolution:

1- PotPlayer showing normal 23.97 / 24 fps without svp , evr cp video renderer in use without svp.
2- PotPlayer + svp + evr cp + svp active profile > to my monitors refresh rate = 65 fps. Getting weird ratio but not problem, im just testing. All running ok.
3- PotPlayer + madvr video renderer + without svp = osd showing 23.97(2.88) -> 65 fps, running ok.

Your 74 fps you are looking is normal, its the custom hz you made. Now if you think at the end that 74 hz is causing some weird smooth playback, then try to not use custom hz, just your monitors native hz. Try again. You could try 72 hz better.

sorry my bad english

Maken1 wrote:
Mwani wrote:

My computer specs are:

Intel Core i5-4210H

CPU @ 2.90GHz

8gb ram

x64 based processor

NVIDIA GeForce 940M

Thank you!

Hi hi, sorry for the delay, been busy.

Ok i dont know somethings because i need you to provide me like screenshots if possible or what settings are in use in the active svp profile of the only or few 1080p videos that are you trying to play or if you are using MadVR video renderer or EVR CP video renderer or what settings are you using in madvr in case if its in use and what version of PotPlayer are you using...

The most important to do here to figure out what is causing your performance lost would be:

1- Reset PotPlayer to it default settings.
2- When PotPlayer is reset to it default settings and without change any settings, " play any video " and see your CPUs usages. They should be low or normal.
3- If PotPlayer ( default settings ) is working okey with normal or low CPUs usages, change just one settings at time and test play the video(s) again. I mean if all working ok with PotPlayers default, then try to use MadVR video renderer ( reset it to defaults ) to see what happen. If all working ok and gettings again normal or decent or low CPUs usages using MadVR video renderer ( it default settings ), use SVP then and check again.

Im sure something there you were changing/testing/toying in MadVR in case if its in use and your SVPs active profile settings, are too high and pushing your hardware to it limits, best is disable and enable, test, lower settings then test again until you find out what settings is pushing the limits of your CPU when playing for example 1080p videos ( as you said ). 1080p videos will push high your CPUs and GPUs using SVP and much more using MadVR. Not all 1080p videos are encoded the same as others, if their framerates are constant or variable, they will affect by much or less your final performance. 23.976 fps are the low and should give best performance, things change when they are 25 fps ,29.97 fps, 30 fps and 60 fps. To know the original frames of the videos are you playing with / without SVP, press Tab while the video is playing.

Try to use the PotPlayer version im recommending, it work best with Nvidia Cuda. About the SVP profiles, i need to know what settings are active in the active profile of the 1080p video(s) you are trying to play.

good luck and keep me informed.

Maken thank you so much for your reply. I've been busy with work and other stuff so I haven't had a chance to check it out too deeply. I did find settings that would allow me to work with 1080p video on my laptop screen at a reasonable amount of PC usage, but when I tried to extend the screen to my T.V it went back up to 100%. Right now I'm able to do 720p video on my laptop screen and my T.V screen so for now I'm going to stick with that, until I have time to do all the adjustments. Of course I wouldn't be here at all without your guide so thank you much for that. I will be in contact soon as I have time to do that.

Thank you.

Hey Maken,, can you do a small check for me? I see that my 'edge enhancement' in Nvidia control panel doesn't seem to have any effect when using madvr. Its fine when using EVR Custom present :S

oh.. its ok.. it works with the new pot player tongue

funny,, I find EVR custom has a better image than madvr (more details)... maybe Im not using it right :S lol

Mwani

Hi, no problem and thanks to you too. Good luck.

Slim

Hi, using Nvidias edge enhancement + PotPlayers Shader(2 Pass or 3) Lanczos are quite good. MadVR shine more with image doubling / upscaling.

395 (edited by Slim 26-05-2015 07:05:40)

thanks Maken. But I find Madvr loses detail for example in a view of forest from birdseye view... Evr seems more detailed (maybe its not noticable on small screens.. I use a 100+ inch screen)

ps... no need for upscaling as its already 1080p material

Maken1 wrote:

Yuuko

Hi, nice rig smile

ok then its normal with madvr show 74 fps or any other custom hz you make without svp. My monitor is 60 hz and when i use madvr it shows 60 fps , without svp and the video file looks normal when EVR CP is in use and showing 23.976 fps or 24 fps (without svp).

If you want to make custom hz, try 72 ( 24 fps * 3 ).

Correct me if im wrong but, is this your first time watching videos with interpolation? maybe all the " smoothness or fluidity " makes you feel sometimes its running fast ?. If audio and video play at 1x speed what is normal, then everything is ok. Now if sound go fast with the video when you set +0.5x or 1x speeds thats other thing.

The SVP active profile for your 1080p videos is ok for the kind of your pc specs, nothing bad there. I think all is ok there but you tell me ?

Edit 2: i tried make custom hz, used random just to test something, it was 65 hz with monitors native resolution:

1- PotPlayer showing normal 23.97 / 24 fps without svp , evr cp video renderer in use without svp.
2- PotPlayer + svp + evr cp + svp active profile > to my monitors refresh rate = 65 fps. Getting weird ratio but not problem, im just testing. All running ok.
3- PotPlayer + madvr video renderer + without svp = osd showing 23.97(2.88) -> 65 fps, running ok.

Your 74 fps you are looking is normal, its the custom hz you made. Now if you think at the end that 74 hz is causing some weird smooth playback, then try to not use custom hz, just your monitors native hz. Try again. You could try 72 hz better.

sorry my bad english

Thx Maken1 
Your rig is also well big_smile

And yes, you're absolutely right, it's my first time watching interpolated videos. After a few settings I've found that only Frames Interpolation Mode is responsible for ensuring that the movements feel so unfamiliar fast for me
Already at the lowest setting ("2m"min artifacts), it looks for me much more fluid - and I'm very satisfied  smile

I have the same results as you. So everything is alright and worked from the beginning. For that I must apologize to you!

But I have also noticed that the ReClock Tray Icon is green only on 72Hz refresh rate. I've tried all other frequencies, even 60Hz and it was always yellow ? - but not 'cause 72/24 is the only round number as result for ReClock ? How can it work with 60Hz ?

I was thrilled by the Tearing Test and Demonstration Mode function - really nice work!!
Is it perhaps possible to change the speed of the Tearing Test?

Slim

MadVR have best use for me for SD material, anything less than 1080p, in especial these little size 848x480 anime i used to download sometimes when the anime is new and i want to see how its , or when i dont like it so much for collection ( BDrips ). I use image doubling and more. but i rather to get 720p or 1080p materials all the time.

Yuuko

Give sometimes to yourself... its normal, then you wont care much about artifacts,etc and want more and more smoothness tongue. but at the end the best is what you like.

No problem smile is better to ask sometimes just to be sure.

Dont bother if ReClock is not green sometimes when SVP active. It happens to me with some Videos, but only care is SVP working. Without SVP with some videos, its red, yellow and green ( if the source was encoded at 30 fps ). but most of the time its yellow and go green when SVP is activated.

About your last question, i cant say much, ask to or wait for SVP Team help you better with that question.

madVR v0.88.10 , very good, need to updated guide with it later. image doubling and more is improved and better. all peoples who use madvr should upgrade to that version.

Peoples who refer and ask anything about your stuffs, you must answer them in regular post, if i understand the matter i can help too. Your mini section in this guide will have your name and respective credits / thanks by me and others who are thankful with your kindness and help. In other words your custom SVP profiles, additional Madvr settings, image quality settings, any especial settings for X Sound Card that might increase audio quality, same with video Cards, scripts, advanced internal SVP settings and more.

long123 wrote:

Peoples who refer and ask anything about your stuffs, you must answer them in regular post, if i understand the matter i can help too. Your mini section in this guide will have your name and respective credits / thanks by me and others who are thankful with your kindness and help. In other words your custom SVP profiles, additional Madvr settings, image quality settings, any especial settings for X Sound Card that might increase audio quality, same with video Cards, scripts, advanced internal SVP settings and more.

Hi, yes ???