Topic: "2m" algorithm with 24fps video on a 48hz display

Hello,

I was wondering if the "2m" algorithm actually does something in case of a 24fps video displayed on a 48hz monitor (or 25fps video on a 50hz display), because my eyes do not see any diffenece with SVP on/off or maybe the difference is very subtle?

Re: "2m" algorithm with 24fps video on a 48hz display

AndreaMG
from wiki: SVP:Profile - Frames_interpolation_mode:

2m (every original frame twice) - the largest number of repeats the original frame, minimal smoothness

from wiki-2: SVP:Technical_insights - x-m_modes:

The 1m mode saves all source frames, but on playback one of the frames is being displayed with a small delay. This is why the video quality enhances and the motion becomes less uniform. Also if the GPU boost is disabled the CPU load decreases.
So, for conversion 24->60 the following frame sequence will be built:
<frame 1> - <frame 1 + 33%> - <frame 1 + 66%> - <frame 2> - <frame 2 + 50%> - <frame 3> - ...
2m mode is similar, but every source frame is being shown twice:
<frame 1> - <frame 1> - <frame 1 + 50%> - <frame 2> - <frame 2> - <frame 3> - ...

Also you can see post of vanden. Picture from there:
http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?item=3477

And yes. You are right. 2m mode with 24 fps video on 48 Hz display will give you no one interpolated frames. Just every source frame shown twice.

Post's attachments

60fps.png, 45.51 kb, 817 x 593
60fps.png 45.51 kb, 533 downloads since 2015-05-23 

Thank you Mag smile

Very nice chart explaining the difference.  May I ask then what the difference between 1m and Uniform is if the "target frame rate" is set to only 2x?

Also to clarify, does "Standard" switch between 'Uniform' and '1m' and such as it deems necessary?

Nintendo Maniac 64
what the difference between 1m and Uniform is if the "target frame rate" is set to only 2x?
No difference. 1m and Uniform shosw different picture when smooth factor is not integer.

does "Standard" switch between 'Uniform' and '1m' and such as it deems necessary?
Sorry. What you mean?

6 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 24-05-2015 17:13:35)

MAG79 wrote:

No difference. 1m and Uniform shosw different picture when smooth factor is not integer.

Oh, well, that explains why I've never seen a difference with "Uniform" - I always interpolate by exact integers! (since my monitor can handle a wide range of custom refresh rates)

MAG79 wrote:

Sorry. What you mean?

Sorry, I meant "Adaptive". ('Standard' is an 'SVP shader' setting >_>; oops) If 1m and Uniform are the same for non-fractional framerate interpolation ratios, then how does "Adaptive" compare to 1m and Uniform?  Does it also only do something for fractional ratios?

7 (edited by Fanty1972 27-05-2015 21:58:20)

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:

If 1m and Uniform are the same for non-fractional framerate interpolation ratios, then how does "Adaptive" compare to 1m and Uniform?  Does it also only do something for fractional ratios?

Well, Adaptive dynamically switches between Uniform, 1m and 2m (dont know if it actually includes 1,5m) during the movie, based on the estaminated quality of the motion pathes. Its not a mode by itself. My guess is, it doesnt care if 1m looks identical to uniform, it just choses 1m if the quality drops below the treshhold.

8 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 27-05-2015 22:08:24)

Ok, so "Adaptive" does do what I thought it did.

Last question - I know 1.5m is useful for anime, but what does it actually do compared to 2m and 1m, especially for non-fractional integer framerates (2x, 3x, etc)?  Like, would it be a crime if I used it for a normal live-action film?