Topic: SVP Crash after ~20 Minutes

Hi,

I've been loving SVP so far, but I have been getting a consistent crash where the screen signal goes blank and the system stops responding until I do a hard reset. I thought this was overheating of the CPU/GPU, but I have run various other stress tests (FurMark, Prime95 etc.) and the system carries on for hours without any problems. Is there any way I can trace why this is happening?

I'm running the recommended package - ffdshow, MadVR, SVP
CPU - i5-4670k
GPU - Radeon 7950
RAM - 8GB

Thanks!

Re: SVP Crash after ~20 Minutes

FurMark loads only GPU
Prime95 loads only CPU
SVP loads both wink

if it used to work for some time and suddenly begins to crash - it can be the PSU issue

Chainik
FurMark loads only GPU
Prime95 loads only CPU
SVP loads both

OCCT PT has PSU test.

OK trying the PSU test now. Will let you guys know the results. smile

5 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 16-03-2015 01:42:31)

I actually find SVP to be strangly good in terms of stress-testing - I was able to pass running both prime95 (with priority 8) at any fft setting and furmark at the exact same time for hours, but I'd get a BSoD with SVP after 10-20 minutes until I increased my CPU's vcore.

However, I'm using integrated graphics rather than discrete graphics, so stressing the CPU and iGP at the same time is even more important.

I have a similar problem to this, it sometimes plays for up to an hour before the video in MPC-HC(one from the 3.1.6. package) stops, then goes black, I can hear the sound continue but I just pause it since there's no point watching a black screen. Other times it crashes within 20 minutes, it's different each time I try. After that, sometimes MPC will freeze and I need to close it through task manager, other times it'll close on its own, my PC itself doesn't crash nor is it affected in any way by this problem. One time this happened it said my graphics driver had stopped and had to reset, but that was only one time. I've tried SVP 3.0.6. but the same thing happens, tried changing directshow video from madVR to something else but nothing makes a difference. It happens when watching anime or normal shows. After it happens the first time if I keep trying to play the freeze/crash happens within probably 5 minutes, I'm not seeking much either so it's not the seek-crash issue either.

Btw I'm noob to all this, only started using SVP a few days ago but I just don't know what else to do. My motherboard is pretty weak admittedly, it holds my GPU back in gaming but I don't know if that has any affect here. Don't think my CPU is overheating otherwise it'd crash my whole PC I assume? Since my graphics driver stopped once, could it be that it had overheated?

CPU- i5-4590
GPU- ATI Radeo r9 270x
RAM- 8GB

The first thing you should probably do is the following, which will allow us to determine if it's MPC-HC or actually SVP.

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:

Just to make sure, try a fresh copy of MPC-HC 32bit portable:
http://portableapps.com/apps/music_vide … c-portable

Then follow this guide on setting up MPC-HC Portable to use SVP.
http://svp-team.com/wiki/SVP:MPC-HC

Does this make any difference?

antonnn
Looks like overheating. Did you try to monitor CPU and GPU temperatures?
Try CPU-Z and GPU-Z to this purpose.

9 (edited by antonnn 18-05-2015 00:21:44)

Interesting. I was just about to start watching some shows with SVP, CPU-Z and GPU-Z running just before, but was skipping through a few episodes(seeking and skipping to next file) when I got the same crash, but SVP wasn't running, unfortunately I didn't have the other two running so I couldn't check if it was an overheating problem. It happened when I skipped to the next episode. Thing is, it's first time it's ever happened when using the MPC-HC(fresh download and setup via the instructions you linked) normally. I haven't been able to get it to crash again though despite lots of seeking and skipping files. The only difference from when I watch shows normally is that I now have madVR as directshow video when before I was using whatever was the default.

Anyway I'm going to run everything and watch some shows, I'll see how it goes! Not going to use madVR this time, if it still crashes then it'd be safe to assume it isn't that.

Edit: Btw, what are bad temperatures for the CPU and GPU to be at? I used to know but I'm out of the loop when it comes to PC stuff these days.

Edit 2: Okay so it happened again without madVR and this time SVP running, it has to be my video card as it froze both screens temporarily and I'm now getting mess ups on my primary monitor(seems to be only happening in my browser though), such as blocks of the screen move to another part of the screen and leaves a black spot where that part of the screen normally was. GPU temp went up to 46 degrees, the fan speed % is normally 20% and went up to 27% max. This has never happened before either. My CPU temp only went up 2 degrees from what the max was previously so I don't think that's a problem. These mess ups are still happening despite the temperature going down though, the display driver stopped and had to recover again.

I had to restart my PC to fix the issue with my browser on the primary screen. Could it be compatibility issues with my video card driver?

antonnn
Could it be compatibility issues with my video card driver?
Yes. It can be. What videocard do you have? And what driver are using?

11 (edited by antonnn 18-05-2015 21:16:17)

ATI Radeon Sapphire Dual-x r9 270x

Driver Name: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1242 (English)
Driver Version: 13.200.0.0
DDI Version: 10.1
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 9/12/2013 12:42:10, 1285616 bytes

Don't know if that helps. Is it newer or older drivers that it has issues with, since this is 2 years old now. Going to update it now and see how it goes.

Never use old GPU drivers. Even if they are 1 month old. GPU pipelines are extremely complex and the bugs numerous.

Also if Windows updates, it may break the way the drivers work.

In general, always use the latest stable GPU driver.

Yeah, my PC is relatively new and hasn't had problems with anything so far regarding the video driver, it totally slipped my mind. >_< I had thought the one I installed was a lot newer than 2013... Doh! Haven't been been watching a lot today so I don't know if it's fixed it or not. I'll see. Anyway thanks for the help so far. smile

14 (edited by antonnn 19-05-2015 06:41:51)

New driver didn't help, nor did the fresh MPC-HC. sad Is it possible having a dual monitor setup can cause problems?

antonnn
Can you post here error's details?
Every crash has them. You can see it in Windows Applcation log or Application failures in Reliability Monitor.

16 (edited by antonnn 19-05-2015 22:02:25)

Source
MPC-HC

Summary
Stopped responding and was closed

Date
18/05/2015 9:31 AM

Status
Not reported

Description
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
Faulting Application Path:    D:\MPC-HCPortable\App\MPC-HC\mpc-hc.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:    AppHangB1
Application Name:    mpc-hc.exe
Application Version:    1.7.8.0
Application Timestamp:    54c4ee22
Hang Signature:    e664
Hang Type:    1
OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID:    3081
Additional Hang Signature 1:    e664af01c00625b7fc9deff23dbe66ca
Additional Hang Signature 2:    84bd
Additional Hang Signature 3:    84bd8a01afcc87567afcb7d868922ff2
Additional Hang Signature 4:    a267
Additional Hang Signature 5:    a267932a5c713fe2caa08a4f5bb187e5
Additional Hang Signature 6:    bef8
Additional Hang Signature 7:    bef86ff4d0ec92211322811e4921a32f

And

Source
Windows

Summary
Video hardware error

Date
19/05/2015 4:36 PM

Status
Not reported

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:    LiveKernelEvent
OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID:    3081

Files that help describe the problem
WD-20150519-1636.dmp
sysdata.xml
WERInternalMetadata.xml

Extra information about the problem
BCCode:    117
BCP1:    FFFFFA8009969010
BCP2:    FFFFF8800700B848
BCP3:    0000000000000000
BCP4:    0000000000000000
OS Version:    6_1_7600
Service Pack:    0_0
Product:    256_1
----------------------------------------------------------
When it crashed yesterday(19/05) even though MPC did mess up it didn't stop responding(Skype did instead, for some reason), the video just went clear and I could see my wallpaper, but the sound kept playing and I could pause and unpause the video, but the video hardware issue still happened. The MPC crash on the 18th was before I updated my video driver. Sometimes the video hardware issue doesn't happen and only MPC crashes, sometimes both.

antonnn
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly
So.
Did you try to change videocard to another?
Did you test your videocard by stress-tests and stability-tests?

Are there good programs to test those? I've done SVPMark and it was fine, and I've never had any problems with this playing high detailed games either, for 8+ hours on end or anything like that. This is the only thing I've ever really had a problem with. Don't think I have a spare video card lying around, I'll have to check.

antonnn
Are there good programs to test those?

SVP is good enough  big_smile

20 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 23-05-2015 21:01:18)

antonnn wrote:

Don't think I have a spare video card lying around, I'll have to check.

Your i5-4590 has integrated graphics; you could use that.

(for reference, while it's fast enough for SVP, it may not be fast enough for SVP + MadVR without at least greatly reduced MadVR settings).