Re: New version of SVP?

I told it's not acknowledged by devs. I got this bug in some videos on November 2014 with Avisynth 2.6MT and after new dlls came out recently I wrote that this shimmering/flickering/dropping appeared on every video and became more severe.

When you get flickering, is CPU capped at 100%? If so, it could be similar to what I saw.

And when you watch the same video with old DLLs, is CPU usage lower in those cases?

103 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 26-04-2015 23:54:45)

One thing to note is that a setting of 6 threads now is resulting in the problem... it seems to be very inconsistant because originally 4 threads worked fine, but yesterday when I tried it 4 threads resulted in said problem and yet today 4 threads is fine...

Mystery wrote:

When you get flickering, is CPU capped at 100%?

Just tested it right now with a ~30 second clip and my CPU utilization was ~85% with an SVP index of 1.02x.

Mystery wrote:

And when you watch the same video with old DLLs, is CPU usage lower in those cases?

Definitely no - with the stock SVP 3.1.6 + hotfixes DLLs I had to have my CPU overclocked at ~3.8GHz, but with the new DLLs I can run my CPU at its stock 3.2GHz without changing any SVP profile settings and still retaining an SVP index of 1.0x.

Nintendo Maniac 64, might be that different overclocking gives such variable result.

possible cause of choppy real-time playback is when threads gang up (e.g. their results arrive in "waves"). In that case they still deliver the same performance on average, but not evenly distributed in every short time window.

So you use Avisynth 2.5.8 SVP edition. Then try to put Avisynth 2.6 MT in the player's folder and try to play with thread number.

James D wrote:

So you use Avisynth 2.5.8 SVP edition. Then try to put Avisynth 2.6 MT in the player's folder and try to play with thread number.

Before I do that, here's something very interesting I just discovered - disabling GPU acceleration fixes the issue!  And this seems to be extremely repeatable as well - it doesn't matter what my settings are or my performance is, disabling GPU acceleration will fix the issue and and re-enabling GPU acceleration will re-introduce the issue.

For reference my GPU is the integrated iGP on the Pentium G3258 - I am under the impression that new versions of SVP would more heavily use the GPU, so perhaps it's possible that my GPU is too weak for said new version(s)?

106 (edited by James D 27-04-2015 01:11:58)

OK, I spent my time again for testing this and recording video http://youtu.be/V3nN30xqEC8 :
1. I got this stuttering after I lowered "step size of net" from 12 to 8.
2. It depends on thread count.
3. I used AVS 2.6MT SET's version.
4. NVIDIA: threads# 13 = troubles. Thread#14 = no troubles. After restart such behavior kept. After using "another" Avisynth, Chainik, flickering was gone.
5. Intel HD = some strange troubles no matter how many threads. BUT... after restart it without text flickering but with cosmonaut rare flickering no matter how many threads. After couple minutes text flickering came back.
6. Using Bandicam recording affects flickering: both cause and disable in different siuations.

Sometimes SVP works with AVS+ and sometimes it complains that AVS 2.5.8 isn't installed, at which point I'm forced to revert to v2.6

AVS 2.6 Should be in SysWow64, AVS+ in player's folder.

109 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 27-04-2015 03:36:10)

James D wrote:

with cosmonaut rare

Shoot, I knew SVP was mainly Russian-developed, but I didn't know the devs were those kind of Russians!  Mad respect to them. tongue

Not that I wouldn't respect them if they weren't cosmonaunts... I'm not one to buy into the FUD about Russia that mainstream US media likes to put out nowadays (I distinctly noticed an agenda appearing conveniently timed with the 2014 Winter Olympics...)

On a less "breaking rule #1 of the internet" (don't talk about politics) note, do you still want/need me to try Avisynth 2.6 MT?

Russians are doing great work to help the planet, period.

These guys are a proof of that.

Sorry, language barrier here. And I'm not a developer by any means, I'm typical member, just testing beta. And not russian too.

I meant that on that video the astronaut's move had been flickered too.

Wait. You mean to tell me SVP has a main library core that is updated without the main version? That should be fundamentally more pronounced on the front page or download pages or just update the downloads.

It's especially hard to miss since SVP is supposed to have hotfixes that one could assume include it or that a library called "SVP"something must have been included in the main release.

Anyway, no problem, just wanted to say it's confusing.

113 (edited by James D 28-04-2015 15:25:28)

tobindax wrote:

Wait. You mean to tell me SVP has a main library core that is updated without the main version? That should be fundamentally more pronounced on the front page or download pages or just update the downloads.

Yes, main library core has been updated which can be used for its main purpose - frame interpolation script. But it was meant to be "easy to miss" because frame interpolation script is not the same as whole SVP Manager with real-time frame X>Y transition in player.
That is exactly why people see those bugs because it wasn't tested on SVP 3.1.6. It is tested by Beta-testers for now and it is not just those 2 core dlls that are different in the upcoming SVP build.

114 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 29-04-2015 23:57:36)

So uh, since I said that disabling GPU acceleration seems to fix the shimmer/flicker issue, I tried the newer SVPflow DLLs on my el-cheapo HTPC that doesn't support GPU-acceleration in SVP and...well, the performance was worse.

For reference the CPU is a 2.4GHz Wolfdale-based (45nm) Core 2 Duo.

Of course you'll get lower performance without GPU acceleration!

116 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 30-04-2015 01:39:33)

Mystery wrote:

Of course you'll get lower performance without GPU acceleration!

No no no, you misunderstand.  Let me break it out for it into raw numbers then.

SVP 3.1.6 DLLs + no GPU acceleration = ~90% CPU
New SVPflow DLLs + no GPU acceleration = 100% CPU & framedrops

And this is with the exact same profile settings.

Nintendo Maniac 64
I see you. You have core 2 duo and you got performance reducing when start to use new SVPFlow dlls.
1. Can you put here full list of your profile settings? (screenshot will be enough)
2. And what video you use to get your measurements?

We need it to repeat the problem and to fix it if it takes place.

118 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 30-04-2015 05:23:28)

I can't get you the information until tomorrow (or at least until in 12-17 hours), but one thing I would like to mention though is that I actually have a second computer that is darned near identical to my HTPC except that it uses a first-gen 65nm Core 2 Duo; I will definitely make sure to test SVP on there as well, especially since it's even already installed on it.

I will also be sure to test with different profile settings and different types of videos to see if it happens seemingly regardless of settings or what-not.

Mag79.. Don't know if this helps in anyway but... I had noticed that the new SVP configuration (svpflow dlls, AVS+ avisynth.dll, and new avisynth script - doing nothing but loading svpflow dlls, configuring SVP and running MSMoothFps.avs) reported (via ctrl+J in MPC-BE) higher peak CPU utilization but didn't drop frames where the old version did. All libraries, folders and MPC-BE settings and such were identical excepting the Avisynth.dll, svpflow dlls and the main avisynth script for ffdshow raw video filter. As I reported in the "Running out of memory..." thread:

What I did discover while comparing AviSynth 2.6 MT to AVS+ rendering the "SONY F55 4K Blue Shanghai Zhen Wang Wei 150mbps.mp4" video was that although the CPU utilization was similar, AVS+ didn't drop frames in the most difficult sections of the video. AviSynth 2.6 MT would drop frames for me when CPU utilization topped 63% while AVS+ would hit 70% in the same section but not drop the frames that AviSynth 2.6 MT did. Perhaps I could eliminate the difference by tweaking threads in AviSynth 2.6 MT... In any case AVS+ coupled with the new SVPflow DLLs works fine as far as I'm concerned.

I retested both configurations just to make sure things were right (they were) and performance was still as reported. In addition I rendered a run of the mill 1080P/24fps file (https://vimeo.com/50855881) and noted 8-12% CPU utilization with the old SVP configuration and 13-17% CPU utilization with the new SVP configuration. GPU utilization hovered around 24% with the old version and 23% with the new one. I failed to capture average jitter readings but the new version just 'feels' smoother.

MistahBonzai wrote:

In any case AVS+ coupled with the new SVPflow DLLs works fine as far as I'm concerned.

Would be great if you can link me towards AVS+, SVPFlow DLL's, and other changes you made. I want to update to the latest and test with MPDN & MPC+Madvr. Thanks in advance.

121 (edited by MistahBonzai 30-04-2015 17:18:16)

Keep in mind that this rather convoluted process for building SVP is only for beta testing and the final self contained SVP app may well contain different versions of these files.

The links have been posted here within the past few weeks but here goes:

This configuration is for the AVS+ version of 32-bit AviSynth.

• Place the AviSynth+ 0.1 (r1780, i386) dll from above in your MPC-BE/HC top folder with the MPC*.exe file.

Place the new SVP (svpflow-1.1.14) dll files in your SVP plugins folder(replacing the older svpflow dlls).

Place the generate.js file from above in your SVP top folder. It's modified for compatibility with the new AviSynth dll.

That should do it. If you need more information I would advise you to read the "New version of SVP?" and the "Running out of memory, even with "4 GB fix"/large address aware" threads in their entirety.

I have my test bed (Windows 7 sp1 64-bit, i7-3770 @ 3.4 GHz and AMD H-7850) configured with 2 copies each of MPC-BE/LAV and MPC-HC/LAV.  A 32-bit and 64-bit configuration for MPC-BE and HC.  MPC-BE 32-bit with video set to EVR-CP 32-bit FP, Catmull-ROM spline 4 and D3D Fullscreen/10-bit RGB (my display is 10 bit). MPC-HC 32-bit with video set to madvr. I use LAV in both cases.  I've been tweaking the 64-bit configurations waiting on 64-bit SVP big_smile

Testing consists of performance (speed and quality) rendering of various video files on the 32-bit configurations.  There are times when I need to reconfigure MPC-BE to run the 'old' AviSynth 2.6 MT by SEt and the 'old' svpflow dll's. Then run the exact same test with it in conjunction with the 'new' AVS+ Avisynth and the new svpflow dll's.

As I said in past posts I'm running the SVP script captured after running a video with SVP within the confines of AviSynth - I integrate the scripts and feed it into ffdshow raw video filter. I do so because I mix various AviSynth filters in the script when rendering files. That way I can balance the load between CPU and GPU - like using nnedi3 on the CPU thus freeing up the GPU for more intensive tasks. I hate seeing one loafing along while the other is maxed  wink

MistahBonzai
Modified for AVS+ generate.js file - Mystery provided one in this post
with missed line http://puu.sh/hwFC3/ac580e75e4.js

MistahBonzai
SVPFlow dlls - Under the SVP "Download" secion - scan down unil you see "Avisynth plugins - the heart of SVP" and select "SVPflow 1.1.14"
dont forget to delete old cpu/gpu libs:
http://puu.sh/hwFFQ/df201e0fe3.png

if I use the the AVS+ .dll...
what lines I have to add or remove to a classic framedoubling script?

travolter wrote:

if I use the the AVS+ .dll...
what lines I have to add or remove to a classic framedoubling script?
(I cannot make it work)