76 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 24-04-2015 23:13:26)

Re: New version of SVP?

Actually yes, because I can't find an actual official dedicated thread for SVP on Doom9 - only related projects that use SVP (SVPflow and InterFrame in particular) and generic threads where people are having issues with SVP and/or are asking for help.

hmm  roll

http://www.svp-team.com/w/images/thumb/2/24/Svp-how-it-works-en.png/600px-Svp-how-it-works-en.png

Um, I think we are talking about two very different things here.

I'm asking what kind of performance improvement could I expect from this fabled "new version of SVP" compared to the current v3.1.6 + hotfixes?

where is my favorite "facepalm" picture?

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=164554

Version 1.1.12 (03/04/15) .... "up to 20% faster"
Version 1.1.14 (04/24/15) .... "up to 15% faster"

1.0 * 1.2 * 1.15 = 1.38

80 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 24-04-2015 23:29:11)

Well for one, I did not know that SVPflow used newer backends than SVP 3.1.6.

So 38% faster?  Wow, I could get away with maybe a 2.7GHz clockrate then!

Wait. Are you saying we can update SVP right now to get all these improvements by replacing the DLLs without having to wait for a new package to be built on the main website?

82 (edited by Mystery 24-04-2015 23:38:56)

Yes! I just replaced the 2 DLLs. As a start, video initialization is considerably faster.

While being at it, I also updated madVR from v12 to ... v21 !

83 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 24-04-2015 23:42:13)

Mystery wrote:

Yes! I just replaced the 2 DLLs. As a start, video initialization is considerably faster.

Which DLLs in the SVP program folder are these?

(assuming I don't find it myself first...)

EDIT: Whelp, found them. tongue  They're in "Program Files\SVP\Plugins"

I'm definitely going to look into this and use it as a baseline for performance in my undervolting.

Mystery
Wait. Are you saying we can update SVP right now to get all these improvements by replacing the DLLs without having to wait for a new package to be built on the main website?
Yes. Report you results here.

You guys are killing me

And for the record - it's up to 38% faster. Which means from zero to 38%.

Chainik wrote:

You guys are killing me

No worries, you can't die before releasing x64 version.

87 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 25-04-2015 01:56:44)

Chainik wrote:

And for the record - it's up to 38% faster. Which means from zero to 38%.

There's a reason I used the words "could" and "maybe".

Besides, I got a wierd shimmering and/or flickering when using the exact same settings I've always used that doesn't seem to occur on the official 3.1.6 + hotfixes, so for actual video use I'll continue using that.   For reference, said shimmering/flickering seemed to be greatly reduced when I enabled "by two with global refinement" if that makes any difference.

Nintendo Maniac 64
Besides, I got a wierd shimmering and/or flickering

try to manually set # of threads to other values.

89 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 25-04-2015 02:24:56)

James D wrote:

try to manually set # of threads to other values.

Yup, setting 6 threads or less on my dual-core Pentium G3258 works well; by comparison setting 7 threads or more causes the flickering/shimmering effect that I saw with "Auto".

I'm guessing this is a known bug?

EDIT: And now I get to pick on you Chainik with your Doom9 post, what kind of software developer doesn't use ISO 8601 for version dating, that is YYYY-MM-DD? tongue And you're not allowed to pull the American card because both of my parents and myself have lived in northeast Ohio our entire lives.

I'm trying with the latest DLL version. One 720p video was running at 30-50% CPU, and with the new version, it tops the CPU at 99% and lags. There's definitely something wrong there.

This video isn't on YouTube but perhaps I could upload it tomorrow if you'd find it helpful.

Where did you get the latest 1.1.14 cause I don't see it here http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Plugins:_SVPflow

P.S. Mystery, Avisynth 2.6?

Mystery
I'm trying with the latest DLL version. One 720p video was running at 30-50% CPU, and with the new version, it tops the CPU at 99% and lags. There's definitely something wrong there.

This just can't be.
Please share both video file and AVS script generated by SVP.

Nintendo Maniac 64
And you're not allowed to pull the American card because both of my parents and myself have lived in northeast Ohio our entire lives.

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?item=3446&download=1
big_smile

Post's attachments

us-date.png, 28.24 kb, 652 x 261
us-date.png 28.24 kb, 943 downloads since 2015-04-25 

Chainik!!!  New .dlls working amazing!!!! CPU saving noticed!!!!

I really love optimized software...  you can get a bit more from your machine without buy new hardware.!!

Nice job pal!!!

95 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 25-04-2015 19:14:00)

Want even more of a boost?  Use the newest trunck revisions of LAVfilters (if you're not already).

For two smaller CPU utilization reductions (more noticable on weaker hardware), if you're not using madVR, you can use "D3D Fullscreen" . Also if you're using MPC-BE, then select the "MPC Audio Renderer"; if you're using MPC-HC, then you can download the MPC-BE standalone filters and add it to MPC-HC's "External Filters" list manually (make sure you set it to "Prefer!".)

In total, if you were using a stock copy of the MPC-HC that came with SVP, you could see a 10-20% CPU utilization decrease by doing all three things.

Nintendo Maniac 64
It's a bug which wasn't acknowledged by devs because they couldn't repeat it until using new SVPFlow dlls and AVS+. You are talking about this jerkiness or less severe, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWtv9I0 … e=youtu.be

97 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 25-04-2015 19:17:59)

Yup, that's it.

And Chainlink, Microsoft is a corperation, not a software developer.  You really think they don't use yyyy-mm-dd in-house?

Nintendo Maniac 64
Yup, setting 6 threads or less on my dual-core Pentium G3258 works well; by comparison setting 7 threads or more causes the flickering/shimmering effect that I saw with "Auto".

I'm guessing this is a known bug?

It can be a know bug for the AVS plus, not for SVP libs.

99 (edited by Mystery 26-04-2015 20:57:54)

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:

Want even more of a boost?  Use the newest trunck revisions of LAVfilters (if you're not already).

Does LAV Filter 0.65 include these optimizations?

I tried reproducing the high CPU usage problem the next day and couldn't reproduce it. I'll let you know if I see that happening again. I had tried both with AVS 2.6 and + and saw the same high CPU usage for both when using the new DLLs, and lower when using the previous DLLs.

100 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 26-04-2015 21:01:28)

Mystery wrote:

Does LAV Filter 0.65 include these optimizations?

Well shoot, I've done it again - made recommendations of trunk builds without realizing that a new stable version has been released. tongue (I made the same mistake with MPC-HC since it was at v1.7.7 for so long)

So yes you could just use LAVfilters v0.65 instead.

EDIT:

Chainik wrote:

It can be a know bug for the AVS plus, not for SVP libs.

Uhh, this doesn't make any sense because all I've literally done is take a stock copy of SVP 3.1.6 + hotfixes and replaced the svpflow1.dll and svpflow2.dll files with newer ones...