Re: MakeN PotPlayer Guide - Not Dead Yet 2021 W.I.P.

Hello Maken... Bigup on your work mate,,, well done..

quick question.... if i am using optical out for sound on my pc.... Do i need to 'check' boxes 'dts' in the audio options for 'Bitstreaming, (spdif, hdmi)....? i see you leave them unchecked in your setup guide.. (in audio decoder section of pot player)

Slim wrote:

Hello Maken... Bigup on your work mate,,, well done..

quick question.... if i am using optical out for sound on my pc.... Do i need to 'check' boxes 'dts' in the audio options for 'Bitstreaming, (spdif, hdmi)....? i see you leave them unchecked in your setup guide.. (in audio decoder section of pot player)

Hi hi, thanks. Try " Default S/PDIF Muxer " in all options. If you don't have any problem using optical with the default settings then leave as its, but you can always try. Again thanks, still more stuffs left for the guide, waiting for some long free days I will have then finally play some games and complete this.

so the guide on the 1st page isn't complete? I realise it has changed since I last saw it, plus you included reclock.. so is it advisable to follow this guide or not? count me as a newbie... tongue

354 (edited by James D 17-04-2015 19:45:35)

I suggest to use these 3 downloads I uploaded for the Guide:
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2005-2008-2010-2012-2013 [32-64] (26-02-2015) which reinstalls all Visual C++ stuff which might be needed. https://mega.co.nz/#!VFhhjJYa!rCrIKnxjD … -3NEUoD_eo
- modified generate.js for using AVS+ https://mega.co.nz/#!ZYAQgC6K!TpVG0eZcj … g1yDHvvmMs
- latest AVS+ which disables all lags you had with AVS 2.5.8 and 2.6 and gives better smooth/fluid. PUT IT TO PLAYER'S FOLDER ONLY https://mega.co.nz/#!MFwwxB4D!ID-3Gilx4 … 8kCKacEyqE
P.S. This Guide should make stuff simpler for people, right? I bet it doesn't due to its look: LONG and with MANY PICTURES.
If I were you would separate it into 2 guides: Simple (Full SVP package instead of Core, no LAV, no Reclock, no MadVR) and Advanced (with all these stuff).
Then people wouldn't run away being frighten of the Guide's size.

355 (edited by Maken1 17-04-2015 23:41:29)

@Slim
You can follow it as its, its all the basic settings do you need to start using that player + svp. What left are just optional stuffs or lets say what left for " Extras " section, and its like basic settings for Madvr, Lav video decoder, svp and more. Its not complete because my job and family stuffs, been very busy but I always check this to see what is new. When my vacations come, I will complete all.

@James D
I don't see what is the problem, as its is simple and easy  hmm . Images very easy to understand and follow. When you say " people wouldn't run away being frighten of the Guide's size " where are those peoples? who are they ?  hmm  so far not even from the peoples who know me and contacted me had not complained or make me feel that its doing that.

356 (edited by James D 18-04-2015 00:15:34)

Maken1
I don't see what is the problem, as its is simple and easy
Are we talking about http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=8583#p8583 now? I like reading books but not like this.
Maken1
When you say " people wouldn't run away being frighten of the Guide's size " where are those peoples? who are they ?
They RAN AWAY. You don't come back after you wanted to leave and left, do you? That's the point.
I guess you just can't imagine what average person who heard about some "cool stuff for video playing" would do after seeking for simple setup guide and saw THAT. One of his thoughts aside "screw that, too much of a hassle" would be "that pamphlet is just for beginning and what next?"
You also seem to be one of those who rarely changes his opinion, point of view, predictable quick-action and becomes blind easily (instead of discussing tech information I gave, you started protecting your creation).
Jee, open your eyes. I wrote my opinion as Post Scriptum and you ignored everything except light critic of your "precious" and replied only to that!

Well, not a big surprise considering how much you posted in a guide for such simple thing like setup a player. Perhaps some day you find I was right.

James D wrote:

Maken1
I don't see what is the problem, as its is simple and easy
Are we talking about http://www.svp-team.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=8583#p8583 now? I like reading books but not like this.
Maken1
When you say " people wouldn't run away being frighten of the Guide's size " where are those peoples? who are they ?
They RAN AWAY. You don't come back after you wanted to leave and left, do you? That's the point.
I guess you just can't imagine what average person who heard about some "cool stuff for video playing" would do after seeking for simple setup guide and saw THAT. One of his thoughts aside "screw that, too much of a hassle" would be "that pamphlet is just for beginning and what next?"
You also seem to be one of those who rarely changes his opinion, point of view, predictable quick-action and becomes blind easily (instead of discussing tech information I gave, you started protecting your creation).
Jee, open your eyes. I wrote my opinion as Post Scriptum and you ignored everything except light critic of your "precious" and replied only to that!

Well, not a big surprise considering how much you posted in a guide for such simple thing like setup a player. Perhaps some day you find I was right.

-The link is not working " This page can’t be displayed ".
-I don't know if you are too lazy to read stuffs even if you considerate them too long and more.
-There is many other guides about others stuffs and they are long, if mine are long enough to bother you , I can say this is not complete yet, and when it does if Its still too long and more I hope the ones that don't like it, say it, I will try do my best to change what I could or must. This guide is not complete yet, i had been deleting and re-editing for many reasons this, the reasons some were explained before. I did take your opinions and thanks for that, I see it was my bad just going first asking something I wanted to know cos I was curious than answer you as you wanted.

I will take this time to explain and say some important things to all of you, to peoples who already know this Thread and follow since long time, to the new peoples that for first time are trying to use this Guide and to SVP Team. Before start I have to say sorry for my bad English.

Thanks to all peoples who are following me since long time, thanks to all peoples who liked this Guide even if they thought for a moment it was too simple or incomplete but still helpful, thanks to all peoples who were trying and try to help me and thanks to SVP Team for all this years keep this Thread active.
Sorry to all of you who had been waiting for some stuffs to be done, sorry if this had been taking too long to be complete, sorry if some of you thought I was not giving the enough attention or dedication as it must. As some of you already know, I been deleting, re-editing, deleting again and re-editing again, it was by many reasons.

-When I started this guide I just wanted to share why i like PotPlayer more than other players, I know MPC HC is the most popular and more used than others players? same with Madvr, Lav Filters and more. Say why im not using them is a long story, but the thing here is PotPlayer + SVP + Makens settings.
-I wanted to start this as simple as possible, I liked PotPlayers internal filters and decoders, I did not see in these times the use of more filters, etc. For me was all ok, just one or two things to add and that's all. Even with that there were still peoples saying it was ok and it helped them too.
-When I was discovering new stuffs and trying them, I was limited by my old hardware, when most peoples was using at least something decent and up to date I was still stuck with very old hardware by many personal reasons, but still I was able to make run many things as I wanted and share them here.
-I remember at the beginning this was most of the time only text, then later images then both. Ive had add more stuffs then delete again and so because in others old threads that was made long ago there was some peoples commenting between them why I was not using for example ReClock and more in my guide, then I thought well lets try use or add them to this as optional for the peoples who like them or wanted to see them in combination with PotPlayer.
-When I started to be more offline, it was because many personal things, some I tried to explain and others I could not. There was a time I was off from this like months right SVP Team? they know, in these moments I could not be much active here and explaining why, I was afraid and thinking: sure SVP Team will delete my Thread because it inactivity and if it were the case, not problem its reasonable, they have the rights to delete what is not active and more if its not helping peoples. If that happen I wont be mad, I will still keep using SVP because im in the point of Im too used to it, cant watch my stuffs without it. If what im trying to do violate any kind of rules made by SVP im sure they will be gentle and tell me hey Mak we got a problem and find a way to fix it. I really appreciate that.

I had been too busy with family stuffs, i don't have internet but im really working on fix that as much as I can. Im about soon to have some internet sharing by WiFi, then I will update this more. Opinions are always welcome, I will try to see what I can add or not, some of you must understand as well I have rights still to make this Guide as I think is the best, i know some of you will like it and some of you will not, its ok that. Like I said many times if someone dont like this option, they can skip this and try another. I cant tell right now if it will long or too short this, wait when its almost complete, then if you want to share something , lets see what I can do.

Right now the Guide is still usable, it just have the basic settings to start using PotPlayer + SVP and default settings made by it. What left are Extras and if you want to have more or less an idea what are they, you can check previous pages.

For what it's worth.... I appreciate all the work done for svp and the guide. The pictures made it easier to follow. Thanks again. Not sure why you guys seem to be arguing though.. roll I will try to follow the guide again since madvr and reclock although I have no idea how to use them haha... pls don't forget the newbies... we prefer the easy instruction with easy to follow pictures like you already do... so continue like this.  tongue

Hello.. I have a newbie question... to use madvr... to I need to change the video renderer to Madshi.. or just chose madshi in the filter? Id like to try madvr to see how it looks with svp...

Slim wrote:

Hello.. I have a newbie question... to use madvr... to I need to change the video renderer to Madshi.. or just chose madshi in the filter? Id like to try madvr to see how it looks with svp...

Hi, no problem. All depend.. you can try and see if you like. I just use Madvr for 720p or less for Anime, video clips, movies, etc with low bitrate , but you can use it for anything and keep it as your default Video Renderer, quality is pretty good though. Keep in mind it need decent video card.

in orden to do it: press F5 in PotPlayer, go to  " Video ", then " Video Renderer " > select Madshi Video Renderer. Press Ok.

If you can post your Computer specs would be good. Don't forget to download Madvr first, copy/paste it folder anywhere you like, install it and never delete that folder while you are still using Madvr. Good luck

Two peoples told me that lastest PotPlayer betas 1.6.53746 have problems with PotPlayers NVIDIA Cuda decoder, only beta v1.6.53356 seems to work perfectly. You can have updated to last version and use Lav Video Decoder > Video Decoder > NVIDIA CUVID. All of this for Nvidia GeForce users who like to use NVIDIA Cuda Decoder.

363 (edited by Slim 21-04-2015 07:19:15)

hi Maken1.. my spces are i7 2600k (@4.9ghz), 12gb RAM, Nvidia Gtx 970.

Thanks for instructions how to change renderer... I will do this. But do I have change filter to madshi also? 

1 more question.. what problems are people saying with Nvidia and latest player? (I havent seen any problems yet) :S

edit: and to display i use Benq w1070 projector.

heyy... Maken.. ignore my last question... I worked it out... newbie on a learning curve...

Also... do you have a knowledge base or something where people can report problems and you can log them?

I have one... I use optical out from my pc for sound to my amplifier.. but it seems when I ticket it 'dts'... as you stated before... I lose volume control from pot player... I have to keep it unchecked. smile

Slim

Hi, you said " do you have a knowledge base or something where people can report problems and you can log them? "
No.

I sorry I cant help you much with Optical, Im not using Optical since years.

Btw use for now PotPlayer beta v1.6.53356. Nice PC Slim and that GPU, you should use Nvidia Cuda Decoder

Sorry for the late answer, been busy also finally got new video card ( Evga GTX 570 Superclocked, its used but in very good conditions ), its old but better than nothing also its much much better than my old vid cards GTS 250 1b & GT 430.
Free days will come soon, then I will continue editing in times all I can.

Good Luck

Hey Maken, Im not sure what optical is :S lol never mind..

Ye i will use the new potplayer you suggest.... ive already configured it for cuda smile and also messing about with madvr :S

I do feel however, that too much power is drawn from the CPU,, and in my case.. I feel the GPU can do more work instead of the CPU.. maybe u can look into this in a later revision of SVP.

Well done in getting the new card smile  enjoy!  I hope you will get some free days...

Peace smile

Slim wrote:

Hey Maken, Im not sure what optical is :S lol never mind..

Ye i will use the new potplayer you suggest.... ive already configured it for cuda smile and also messing about with madvr :S

I do feel however, that too much power is drawn from the CPU,, and in my case.. I feel the GPU can do more work instead of the CPU.. maybe u can look into this in a later revision of SVP.

Well done in getting the new card smile  enjoy!  I hope you will get some free days...

Peace smile

Hey Slim any chance you can show me at least one screenshot?. Maybe you are abusing some settings without need and not seeing the real changes.
Try to use Nvidia Cuda if your Video Renderer is EVR CP. Using Madvr video renderer + some demanding Madvr settings + Nvidia Cuda result in heavy cost in performance for the GPU.
Your hardware is pretty decent as I said, in especial that GPU. Following my settings correctly must give you very decent performance and more room in performance for your SVPs settings / Madvr ( in case of using it ). Your CPU usages are too high for your like,? then the default settings in SVPs profiles are demanding, you can try to lower them and see what happen.
You want to know the basic settings to edit and create custom SVP profiles? check " 4- SVP settings " in the guide, it was added recently then tell me later.
More will be added soon, I already have my wanted free time so now on Im dedicating more time in this. You must Re-check the entire guide again now and change what must be change in case of need.

Thanks, good luck Slim.

Yo Maken

What would you like me to take a sreenshot of? (which part)

I am using Madvr as renderer and also CUDA... seems ok. Is there something is should know about??

Slim wrote:

Yo Maken

What would you like me to take a sreenshot of? (which part)

I am using Madvr as renderer and also CUDA... seems ok. Is there something is should know about??

Hi Slim, I was asking you to show me what is causing your CPU goes high that bothers you.. but if its normal, then not need.

All working ok with Madvr and your GPU ?

Guide updated:

-Added MadVR settings ( basic / recommended ).
-Updated other minor settings

Update 2

-Added link / updated " SVP Advanced profile settings " in Extras. For new users and users who wants a point to start to make their own custom profiles based in their " likes and hardware limitations ".
-Added recommended svp example profiles as where to start for making your own svp custom profiles.

Good effort from you as always Mak keep it up!

373 (edited by Maken1 12-05-2015 03:37:26)

____________________________________________[ Reserved only for the Guide, do not reply or quote it ]

madVRs Scaling Algorithms and image doubling

Here you are about to learn how to use madVRs image doubling to increase quality of 360p, 480p and 720p of your Animes, Video Clips, TV Shows and Movies. Anything less than fullHD 1080p.
I recommend use MadVR video renderer only for anything less than 1080p while SVP is in use. MadVR, SVP and madVRs image doubling are very demanding, that's why you need a powerful GPU and CPU. Without madVRs image doubling, MadVR video renderer and SVP can be very demanding too, depending of the " Scaling Algorithms " being in use.

Important rules to follow before start

1- Again I will give you a point to start, the rest is up to you. Follow my examples and settings carefully.
2- Press Ctrl + J while playing any video to enable MadVRs OSD. Press Ctrl + J again to disable it.
3- Play any video, open MadVR settings, go to madVRs Scaling Algorithms, change settings and press " Apply " anytime you want to apply the changes.
4- Don't use SVP while you are testing and finding the best settings for each madVRs Scaling Algorithms  based in your likes and hardware limitations. Once you are done, activate SVP, watch your CPUs and GPUs usages, edit the SVP active profile to increase o decrease performance, smooth quality and image quality.
5- Max recommended CPU usages for SVP and MadVR are in use is 70%.
6- Max recommended GPU usages for SVP and MadVR are in use is 65%. Keep it less than 65% is best.
7- Don't use Nvidia CUDA video decoder in PotPlayer or Lav Video Decoder while using madVRs image doubling.
8- Watch your GPUs temps, keep them as low as possible. Increase fan speed.
9- In MadVRs OSD always take care of the marked stats > http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/s/v/u/xsvunwcxnts4s7iey5or_t.jpg .Keep them as low as possible.

Notes: Anytime you apply any change on each Scaling Algorithms, those stats will change significantly, by much or low, keep them low is best. Those stats change when the player is not in " fullscreen " and when its in " Fullscreen ". If the stat " dropped frames " start increasing progressively by much without stop, it mean your GPU is reaching it limits or you are abusing some settings ( very high settings ) in madVRs Scaling Algorithms and SVP while both are in use, to fix that, disable madVRs image doubling and check the stats again, lower settings to gain performance and enable image doubling to see if problem persist. Stats change depending of the resolution and frame rates of video that is being playing, the higher the resolution and frame rates the more increase these stats.

madVRs Scaling Algorithms and image doubling presets

Right click on the images and click on " Open link in new tab "
Preset 1: http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/t/5/a/xt5a4l26py0e98z1wqal_t.jpg http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/s/r/n/xsrndgfduaoto6vws51kc_t.jpg http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/b/1/l/xb1l2v62cnvbfm8c4ff2a_t.jpg http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/y/x/8/xyx8efhk798rsnc4spx_t.jpg
Preset 2: http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/z/g/t/xzgtw0qq6tgrh2xophs2_t.jpg http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/i/t/w/xitwg4abfyg1w5qvz2dq_t.jpg http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/0/l/t/x0lt4i2at5aed3bkbkuws_t.jpg http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/y/u/8/xyu86w72k5z7zvwut305p_t.jpg
Preset 3: http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/s/6/g/xs6gzhu5w9wq9ehvmgluk_t.jpg http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/d/2/e/xd2e5311o4mr0ao2ljmhe_t.jpg http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/9/n/3/x9n3x7orn6v1mbr50yeb_t.jpg http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/w/3/x/xw3x885446cl3wwlus6on_t.jpg
Preset 4: http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/d/i/1/xdi15hfp3xqmkeb71mic4_t.jpg http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/d/b/f/xdbfjblh50zjyrr952xi_t.jpg http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/x/0/5/xx05b3guzvadcw49khbm_t.jpg http://img.overpic.net/thumbs/s/5/s/xs5szjygkjyb2a6v28ugb_t.jpg
Notes: The " only if scaling factor is 1.2x (or bigger) " apply NNEDI3 only for 240p, 360p and 480p. For 720p, the player need be in " Fullscreen ". If you want NNEDI3 active all the time for 240p, 360p, 480p, 720p and 1080p, change to " always - if upscaling is needed "

There you have some presets, see if you like or make your own using them as example. Don't abuse the " neurons " with NNEDI3, more neurons increase quality but at very high cost in performance ( GPU ). Use " double Luma resolution " and " double Chroma resolution " if you think do you have enough power gpu. Experiment until you find what is best for you then that will be the last or best settings for it.

orky87 wrote:

Good effort from you as always Mak keep it up!

Thanks! orky87, more coming soon.

7- Don't use Nvidia CUDA video decoder in PotPlayer or Lav Video Decoder while using madVRs image doubling. ?? why not?? If so,,, what do we use.. and where do we change this settings...

I would really appreciate a guide for people like me who are noobs but have good pc with nvidia and would like to use madvr!! tongue