1 (edited by mashingan 16-03-2015 02:01:32)

Topic: Dropping frames when using Error Diffusion in madVR

The madVR default setting for dithering algorithm is ordered dithering (it's written as fast alternative to Error Diffusion).

So I want to change the option Error Diffusion - option 2 in order to suppress the noise.

But as soon I choose this option, the player starting to drop the frames, the CPU utilization is higher but never 100%, about 50-70% (compared when usual setting only 20-40% with sometimes past 50% but not always).
This is only happened in full-screen mode, not in windowed mode.

The effect is like I set the masking artifacts, the video lose its smoothness.

Can anyone explain why is this happened? Is there any way to workaround for it?
As I happy with my default setting, I just curious whether Error Diffusion and SVP can be chained together.

Re: Dropping frames when using Error Diffusion in madVR

mashingan
What is GPU load when you enabling Error Diffusion in madVR?
You can see it in GPU-Z for example.

If your CPU has hyper-threading it's possible may in fact be hitting a CPU performance bottleneck - hyperthreading doubles the thread amount, so if your physical cores are maxed out but your virtual threads have no load, it would show as only 50% CPU utilization.

MAG79
Sorry, I forgot to add this, it starts to drop frames only after full-screen
when full-screen, GPU load 94%, when windowed 79-87%

Nintendo Maniac 64
Yes, my CPU using hyper-threading, but there's case when SVP makes CPU load 100%.

Based on GPU load, I think my GPU is not strong enough to handle the load  sad

5 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 16-03-2015 02:08:21)

Then the obvious answer is to turn down your madVR settings.

Alternatively, assuming that you aren't using an LGA2011 or Nehalem-based CPU, you could try to set either SVP or madVR to use your iGPU (probably which ever uses the least amount of GPU utilization).

If you do the above, also try setting your LAVfilter decoder settings to DXVA2 copyback (assuming it isn't already set to that) which may help your GPU utilization a bit.

Yeah, unfortunately lowering down the madVR setting is the only way sad
I'm using DXVA native, which is better copyback or native?

When I maximize the GPU clock setting in amd overdrive, from 775 to 850, it crashes my system sad
And after reboot from that crash, I try again, this time madVR that crashes

7 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 16-03-2015 02:31:00)

mashingan wrote:

I'm using DXVA native

Uhhh, SVP doesn't even work with native...

Also note, copyback has considerably better CPU utilization than it used to in the past in LAVfilters v0.64 and/or MPC-HC v1.7.8.

Lastly, you didn't say anything about your iGP.  Do you not have one?  I know that SVP in particular can be set to use your integrated GPU rather than your discrete GPU.

8 (edited by mashingan 16-03-2015 02:39:54)

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:

Uhhh, SVP doesn't even work with native...

Lastly, you didn't say anything about your iGP.  Do you not have one?  I know that SVP in particular can be set to use your integrated GPU rather than your discrete GPU.

So, SVP cannot use DXVA right?

I have integrated one, but can it be used together with the discrete one?
How to do it?

Edit: After looking several articles, it seems integrated GPU and discrete GPU can't be used together

9 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 16-03-2015 02:42:17)

mashingan wrote:

So, SVP cannot use DXVA right?

The only DXVA it can use with SVP is copyback - if it is set to DXVA native, it will simply not be used when using SVP.

You can alternatively set the LAVfilters decoder to QuickSync, but this may increase the load on your integrated GPU - you're welcome to try it if you'd like, especially since it may also decrease your CPU utilization.

mashingan wrote:

I have integrated one, but can it be used together with the discrete one?

I do know that, in SVP, you can select which GPU to use; don't know about madVR.

mashingan wrote:

How to do it?

I don't have any first hand-experience, but at least for SVP it should be an option below "Interface type" when you right-click on the SVP tray icon.

Just beware that, if your integrated GPU is too weak, you may actually have reduced performance.