1 (edited by Bugattikid2012 23-02-2015 19:57:25)

Topic: Extremely Strange Unique issue (Second issue)

First off, I'm going to put a disclaimer here.  I've never used MPC-HC or SVP before about 3 or so days ago.  I used to use VLC, however the lead developer of VLC seems to be a total condescending jerk who won't even consider allowing external filters to be used on VLC. 

Specs: 
Intel i7 4770k, recently Overclocked to 4.0Ghz (to see if it would make a notable performance difference with SVP)
MSI 780 Ti
16 GB System RAM
144hz monitor
I don't think the other specs are relevant at all to SVP, but if they are needed I can provide them. 

SVP and MPC-HC versions are what came bundled with the SVP downloader that contains all the packages.  When watching video using SVP, the ffdshow filter icon pops up in my system tray as well, though I haven't changed any settings in it. 

DPC Latency tester thingy says this machine should be able to handle video playback without drops or whatever

Long story short, I was having some issues with frame rate playback on my system.  I would turn the preset down as low as the settings would allow (but keeping GPU rendering enabled obviously), and I would still get performance issues.  I did some messing with the SVP settings and it seems to me the biggest factor on the SVP settings performance wise is the Motion Vectors Grid option.  If I turn that down I noticed using ctrl + j that my frames would idle around 120ish (despite the 144hz monitor, and the SVP frame rate option being set to the refresh rate of the monitor).  After a while of testing, it seems that I can get consistently good frame rates, and my CPU usage remains at about half. 

I was just about to watch some videos when I noticed I would be getting video delay while using SVP.  I would turn on ctrl + J to see my frame rate, and everything would be normal.  Turn off ctrl + J and I start getting stuttering and lag again.  It seems REALLY strange to me.  I'm sure there's probably something I can do to fix this, however I'm not quite sure what that something is.  Google hasn't helped much either, so I have turned here for an answer. 

I don't have the slightest idea why this is happening, or how to fix it, so any help is appreciated.  I haven't changed any settings (to my knowledge) other than the SVP manager render settings, so I'm assuming it's something regarding the ffdshow filter settings, or MPC-HC itself.  Thank you for your help.  I truly appreciate it.

Re: Extremely Strange Unique issue (Second issue)

Try to change renderer (EVR-CP, madVR).

1. Ensure that both video is rendered and SVP is working through NV card, not on i7's integrated one
2. Try to switch between plain EVR, EVR-CP and madVR video renderers

Don't know why I didn't see these replies sooner...  Thanks for the quick responses.  I'll google a bit and figure out how to do this.

Running EVR-CP and madVR seems to work fine, I'm really suprised the fix was that easy.  Does this mean it's not using ffdshow at all anymore?  How exactly does this work? 

Also it presents another problem that may not be fixable... when it's in fullscreen mode I can't alt tab out of it... Is there an option for this somewhere?  I've looked and I can't find anything.  Thanks again.

And what renderer was set before you changed it?  hmm
Cause it's supposed to be EVR-CP right after SVP installation.

Bugattikid2012 wrote:

How exactly does this work?

http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/SVP:User_m … es_it_work

8 (edited by Bugattikid2012 19-02-2015 22:17:45)

And what renderer was set before you changed it?  hmm
Cause it's supposed to be EVR-CP right after SVP installation.

That's a good question... I thought it was set to use ffdshow, but that's not even an option...  I remember changing it right after I installed it, I was following some guide on the install wiki or something... 

Here it is:  I followed the guide on how to set it up, that's all I changed.  http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/SVP:MPC-HC

Oddly enough, I can't get it back the way it was now... 

Also, on the how does it work part, I was referring to the madVR part, as in what exactly it changed over what I was using before. 

When pressing ctrl + J I used to get three menus, and every time I pressed it one would go away.  The first setting was a bunch of red text and a graph.  Second was less red text and graph, and third toggle was just a little bit of red text regarding rendering settings.  Now I have a black/grayish rectangle with more info than the red text, however it doesn't display the actual framerate that I'm rendering. 

Still can't figure out why alt tab doesn't work now, or how to revert the changes.  : /

Edit:  I figured out how to get the old one back...  I'm running the EVR-CP, and went to the External Filters tab.  Then double clicked on ffdshow filter, and checked Avisynth.

About Alt+Enter not working, well you can go to madVR settings (right click on taskbar) and you can change it under the setting labelled as automatic fullscreen exclusive mode. You can change it to whatever key combo (or single key) you want, but I could not figure out how to use the Right Alt key and Enter key, I mean you can type Alt+Enter but that means the left Alt key, I for the life of me could not figure out how to use the Right Alt key instead of Left! So right now I am using F11 to toggle fullscreen on and off, LOL, cause that's what Chrome uses.

http://i.imgur.com/pCMlGvr.jpg

That did it, alt tab is working again.  So why exactly isn't madVR the default filter?  It seems to give off better performance than the other method does while at the same time having less issues.  It seems to be recommended a lot in other threads as well. 

Also, does madVR still use ffdshow or not?  It's a bit confusing because they are both showing up in the taskbar still, as well as under the filter settings.  If it's not using ffdshow, does this mean that SVP is no longer requiring directshow to be used?  Wouldn't that mean native Linux compatibility could be used? 

Thanks a lot for your help everyone!

11 (edited by ithehappy 19-02-2015 22:43:51)

No idea about anything else, that's all I knew. Honestly this is even more complicated than me than my Chemistry classes. madVR, ffdshow, LAV, this filter, that filter along with zillion settings, I guess I don't need to use madVR any more, cause I am mad  lol

12 (edited by mashingan 20-02-2015 07:31:10)

Bugattikid2012 wrote:

That did it, alt tab is working again.  So why exactly isn't madVR the default filter?  It seems to give off better performance than the other method does while at the same time having less issues.  It seems to be recommended a lot in other threads as well. 

Also, does madVR still use ffdshow or not?  It's a bit confusing because they are both showing up in the taskbar still, as well as under the filter settings.  If it's not using ffdshow, does this mean that SVP is no longer requiring directshow to be used?  Wouldn't that mean native Linux compatibility could be used? 

Thanks a lot for your help everyone!

madVR doesn't use ffdshow, ffdshow used by SVP. So any *nix system won't be able to use SVP.

About alt+tab while in fullscreen, I've never knew it can be done before big_smile
But I do this workaround, I press the window button and it automatically focus to desktop while the "fullscreen" video still playing in the background.

Bugattikid2012 wrote:

Also, does madVR still use ffdshow or not?

look at the picture one more time:
http://www.svp-team.com/w/images/thumb/2/24/Svp-how-it-works-en.png/600px-Svp-how-it-works-en.png

do you see that "ffdshow" square and "renderer" square are different ones? smile

14 (edited by Bugattikid2012 23-02-2015 20:04:42)

Weird that I didn't get notifications regarding these two posts... Anywho thank you for the other responses.  They unfortunately confirmed what I thought. 

However I am back to report an issue with the MadVR renderer.  It only renders to a maximum of 100 frames.  I can view this by pressing ctrl + 7.  The EVR-CP renderer will go up to 144, but only when I am viewing the debug info on screen (original issue).  It doesn't make sense to me why MadVR caps out at 100 when the EVR-CP renderer will go up to 144, so I'm sure there's probably some way to fix this. 

I've looked through the MadVR settings but I can't find any relevant settings... I think it might be easier to just fix the original issue instead of using the MadVR work around.  MadVR has too many settings, and the UI isn't the best. 

Thanks again for all of your help.

Edit: Standard EVR (NOT EVR-CP) seems to render at only 60 FPS...

15 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 25-02-2015 19:05:17)

Two things that nobody has mentioned yet.

Have you tried enabling D3D Fullscreen in EVR-CP?  This even allows MPC-HC to work with G-Sync and theoretically Adaptive Sync.

Also, have you tried SVP core v3.1.5:
http://wayback.archive.org/web/20140330 … 5_Core.exe

I tried the D3D Fullscreen option, and while it does seem to get it up to 144 FPS, it prevents me from alt tabbing at all... 

Is there any reason the SVP Core was removed from the SVP site?  What exactly does it do?

17 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 25-02-2015 19:07:06)

Bugattikid2012 wrote:

it prevents me from alt tabbing at all...

Are you not able to just go out of fullscreen first via the Esc key or alt+enter?

Bugattikid2012 wrote:

Is there any reason the SVP Core was removed from the SVP site?  What exactly does it do?

SVP Core is still present on the website, the link I provided is just the older version - the current one is v3.1.6.

I am able to press esc or F11 to exit fullscreen, however I really need to be able to alt tab instantly sometimes. 

I enabled the Alternative V-Sync option... that seems to have fixed it for now.  Thanks for your help, I wouldn't have known what to try without your help.  Hopefully it'll stay fixed this time. 

I plan on setting up my Linux OS again and using QEMU to emulate Winderp$ for games and applications such as SVP, so I won't have to dual boot.  I hope that doesn't cause anymore issues. 

Thanks for your help everyone!