Topic: Please add to FAQ (performance tips)

sometimes lags 1080p because of processor high load.
using DXVA-copyback in LAV (native is crashing on seek). what are general performance advices(aside from tweaking AVS settings)?

which settings mostly affect performance and almost not affect quality in same time?

which are the best settings for high speed action movies and for low speed moves?

which LAV mode to select(i have notebook with 2 vcards. nvidia and intel) ?

2 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 14-02-2015 20:30:21)

Re: Please add to FAQ (performance tips)

If you are using MPC-HC, you can possibly get a bit lower CPU utilization by using "D3D Fullscreen" and disabling "Accurate Vsync".

If you're trying to play back VP9/WebM videos, you'll get a massive speedup by using MPC-HC v1.7.8 or by manually installing the newest development trunk version of LAVFilters.

In LAVfilters, decoding with Intel QuickSync should be faster than copy-back except with some certain setups in the cutting-edge development versions of LAVFilters or in situations involving fancy subtitles.

in SVP, especially with fast movement at large resolutions, "Motion vectors precision" makes a big performance difference with minimal difference in motion (it makes a larger difference with slow movement at smaller resolutions).

The only other thing is that in SVP, using "Uniform" seems to be a sort-of cheaty way to get better smoothness since CPU usage is barely higher and in my experience the artifacting isn't noticably worse if at all.  However, according to this post, you will get more artifacting with "Uniform" if your display refreshrate is not an exact multiple of the source video's framerate (likef 24fps->60hz rather than an exact 3x of 24fps->72hz)

Speaking of display refreshrates, setting your display refreshrate to an exact multiple of the video framerate will definitely improve smoothness and shouldn't result in any increased CPU usage (case in point, 60fps@60hz without interpolation is smoother than 60fps->90hz, but of course 60fps->120hz is smoother than 60fps@60hz).  I recommend using MPC-HC's built-in setting for fullscreen to automatically change your resolution and refreshrate based on the video's source framerate.  Note that you may need to make some custom resolutions and refreshrates, particularly for something like 72hz - you can make such custom resolutions and refresh rates via the graphics control panel on Nvidia and moderrn Intel GPUs, while AMD Radeon users can use CRU - Custom Resolution Utility.

Personally, when I don't have the CPU performance to use default settings on everything, I first try reducing "Motion vectors precision".  If I still don't have enough CPU performance, then I start reducing "Motion vectors grid" (this makes a big difference CPU-wise, but it's also very important for smoothness, but the higher the resolution the less important it is).

3 (edited by Mystery 14-02-2015 16:32:03)

Oh thanks! Decreasing "Motion vectors precision" might solve the problems when rendering 29.97fps 1080p videos on 1080p display! Since you say that won't have much impact on quality.

This will especially come in handy for displaying 4k videos on 4k display!

Wow, thank you for information.

But AOC's monitor (AOC 2757) can't display 1920 1080p 72hz or 48hz... OMG

I will consider to buying 120hz monitor. When I changing my computer. Thank you!

5 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 15-02-2015 20:12:19)

kibumm wrote:

But AOC's monitor (AOC 2757) can't display 1920 1080p 72hz or 48hz... OMG!

Even with custom resolutions?  It's usually pretty standard to "overclock" a monitor to at least 72hz since 75hz is a very standard PC refresh rate.

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
kibumm wrote:

But AOC's monitor (AOC 2757) can't display 1920 1080p 72hz or 48hz... OMG!

Even with custom resolutions?  It's usually pretty standard to "overclock" a monitor to at least 72hz since 75hz is a very standard PC refresh rate.

Yes... Unfortunatly, My monitor not supports 48hz or 72hz using CRU.  sad

7 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 18-02-2015 05:27:30)

kibumm wrote:

Yes... Unfortunatly, My monitor not supports 48hz or 72hz using CRU.  sad

Well, just know that if you ever do buy a new monitor, it doesn't have to be 120hz since even a 75hz display would work. EDIT: I mean a 75hz monitor should be able to support 72hz.

Alternatively, your monitor wouldn't happen to be larger than 1080p, would it?  Sometimes if you make a custom resolution at a lower resolution you can get access to higher refresh rates.

When I tweak my display with CRU, it automatically lower my display's resolution when I change it to lower refresh rate.

I thought CRU can tweak the refresh rate without altering the resolution. Amd already has setting for that so CRU is not the option for me.

mashingan wrote:

I thought CRU can tweak the refresh rate without altering the resolution. Amd already has setting for that so CRU is not the option for me.

I think it may be dependent on your monitor.

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:

I think it may be dependent on your monitor.

Yeah, it seems that's the case.