1 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 12-02-2015 20:23:09)

Topic: Conservative auto-selection of SVP profiles?

I find the auto-selection of profiles to be overly conservative.  For example, my Pentium G3258 is detected as 2g when in reality it handles 4g just fine...

This was tested with a strangely SVP-intensive 1280x720 24fps video interpolated up to 96fps.

Re: Conservative auto-selection of SVP profiles?

Nintendo Maniac 64
overly conservative

50% tolerance wink

Pentium G3258 is detected as 2g when in reality it handles 4g just fine

I hardly believe smile
What is "4g" profile for FHD for example? Those settings allow "SVP Reference system 4" (note "4" at the end smile) to playback 1920*1080 video at ~90% CPU load.
"Reference system 4" is 6-cores Phenom II X6 at 3.0 GHz and it gets 1589 SVPmark scores (87 fps in "good" sub-test).
Your G3258 gets 1144 scores and 57 fps.
So may be it can, under some conditions, play 720p with 4g settings but definitely not FullHD.

3 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 11-02-2015 22:01:49)

Chainik wrote:

So may be it can, under some conditions, play 720p with 4g settings but definitely not FullHD.

Uhh, I'm using the most SVP-intensive 720p video I've ever seen.  SVP's performance graphs report my CPU utilization as 78%.  Now it's true that my CPU is overclocked to 3.8GHz, but that'd bring the CPU utilization up to 92%, that is high enough that SVP complains about it but it isn't actually "maxed out" and my SVP index is still 1.0x with disabled OSD messages.

Also this was measured with all hardware acceleration disabled.

Again, this is a video that is strangly SVP intensive in that I know of no other video with the same codec that results in as much CPU utilization from SVP.  Case in point, most 720p videos on my HTPC regulaly have around 80-85% CPU utilization with custom settings similar to 1g or 2c, but this one particular video I'm testing with make SVP max out my HTPC's CPU utilization even though the settings are the same.

I would gladly share the video in question, but it's take a while as it's a home-made video so I would need to upload it first, and I have a measly 768Kbps upload (~75KB/s).

4 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 12-02-2015 00:49:14)

Chainik wrote:

50% tolerance wink

Does this mean that it only selects settings where the CPU utilization never goes above 50%?

Chainik wrote:

[What is "4g" profile for FHD for example? Those settings allow "SVP Reference system 4" (note "4" at the end smile) to playback 1920*1080 video at ~90% CPU load.

Ok, so it's not as conservative with 1080p, but it's still somewhat.  Using a more typical 1080p video (which in this case is 30fps rather than 24fps), I get ~80% CPU utilization on profile 3c with "Decrease frame size" set to 'Disabled' and all hardware acceleration disabled.  Note that I am interpolating to 90hz.

More typical 1080p video in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I-nQtsJuhE

EDIT: CPU utilization is still only 84% if I use the exact same configuration but with the VP9 version of the video + MPC-HC v1.7.8.

EDIT 2: lolwut, 3c uses arguably higher settings than 2g?  Uh huh.  Well, using the highest settings from both 3c and 2g, I do indeed get 90% CPU utilization.

EDIT 3: This still begs the question though, why are the default 720p settings more conservative than the default 1080p settings in a specific profile?

Nintendo Maniac 64
why are the default 720p settings more conservative than the default 1080p settings in a specific profile?

because "level 4" systems are as good in 720p playback as "level 5 systems"
and "level 3" systems as good as "level 4" and "level 5" in SD video
there's almost no point in pushing settings beyond "default" values ("default" for the FRC algorithms, not for specific profile)

6 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 12-02-2015 08:36:35)

Chainik wrote:

because "level 4" systems are as good in 720p playback as "level 5 systems"
and "level 3" systems as good as "level 4" and "level 5" in SD video
there's almost no point in pushing settings beyond "default" values

I'll agree with you on 3g since it does indeed have everything at default or higher.

The problem is that SVP detects my CPU as 2g, and that in particular has "Motion vector grid" set to '14px. Average 1' and the "Wide search" is set to 'Average (default)'; by comparison 3g uses "12px. Average 2 (default)" and 'Strong'.

Also 2g has "Reduce grid step" set to 'Disabled (default)' and 3g has it set to 'By two with local refinement', but my CPU can handle the 4g setting of 'By two with global refinemen'* with performance to spare.

*I just noticed that SVP 3.1.6 + hotfixes does indeed say "global refinemen" without the 't' at the end.  Is this a typo perhaps?

your CPU gets 841 "CPU points" in SVPmark
level 1 = <550
level 2 = <1000
level 3 = <1300
level 4 = <1800
level 5 = >1800

8 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 12-02-2015 09:43:46)

Chainik wrote:

your CPU gets 841 "CPU points" in SVPmark

...and it gets 1714 when you include the GPU.  Remember that SVP is recommending profile 2g, not 2c.

EDIT: Derp, I just realized that I never ran the 720p benchmark, I only ran the 1080p one!  I should probably do something about that...

EDIT 2: I have now done something about it.  However, it doesn't seem like my results are appearing just yet.

According to the SVPmark program itself, it says my FullHD 1080p final score is 1119 while my HD 720p final score is 2340.

"synthetic CPU only" scores only matters for profiles selection and the value is independent of selected frame size in SVPmark

and it gets 1714 when you include the GPU

you don't understand the idea  big_smile

profiles level X consume 100% of CPU Y
"Xc" will consume 100% of CPU in "CPU only mode"
"Xg" will consume 100% of CPU in "GPU accelerated mode"

if your CPU is faster than Y*K - you'll get profiles X
if your CPU is slower than Y*K - you'll get profiles X-1

for the real life additional coefficient K is used, lets say, 1.2 or 1.3

10 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 12-02-2015 10:25:24)

Well then as long as the value is independent of frame size the recommended profiles will have conservative 720p settings.

EDIT: I understand how the profiles are selected and stuff, and I don't disagree with the 2g selection.  My issue is that, the 720p settings in the 2g profile seem conservative while the 1080p settings in the very same 2g profile seem accurate.  Optimally both the 1080p and 720p settings in a single profile should be accurate should they not?

EDIT 2: While I was at it, I ran SVPmark for FullHD 1080p and got 936 for Synthetic CPU.  Looking at the online results, that puts me on-level with desktop Sandy Bridge i3 CPUs.

Nintendo Maniac 64
the 720p settings in the 2g profile seem conservative while the 1080p settings in the very same 2g profile seem accurate

well, may be
problem is I don't have that "reference system" anymore which means if I'm going to update profiles I should recheck all of them with the new "reference system"  big_smile

12 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 12-02-2015 10:18:01)

Last thing, it would seem that the "Fast SVPmark" in SVP's automatic profile selection is moderately conservative as well.  With my CPU OC'd @ 3.8GHz, the Synthetic CPU for FullHD 1080p in the full SVPmark gives me a score of 1106, but "Fast SVPmark" only gives me a score of 982.

This would explain why, with my 3.8GHz overclock, I am able to do 3c at 1080p with "Reduce frame size" set to 'Disabled (default)' and still have ~20% spare CPU headroom.

i's a very quick test but with big error value
in fact it's not "synthetic CPU" but only one sub-test called "CPU: search (multi-threaded)"
this's by design  big_smile

14 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 12-02-2015 10:27:02)

Chainik wrote:

i's a very quick test but with big error value

Well it seems to be moderately consistant since I did it like 10 times and the highest value I saw it give me was exactly 1000, but I'm guessing you need at least 1001 for it to recommend 3c.

EDIT: And to clarify 982 is the lowest value I saw.

I second that the auto-selected profile is conservative. I have reset to the highest profile and changed the mode to Uniform, and it still plays just as smoothly without having to lower madVR's settings.

Fast SVPmark gives a score of around 1690 and selects the profile 4g. I'll use 5g instead.

That's on a 768p laptop display. Things might be slightly different with 1080p content on 1080p TV.

16 (edited by Mystery 12-02-2015 23:41:46)

There are a few improvements that could be done to the profiles configuration.

- Making it less conservative; but then there's the risk that it crosses the line and asks too much on some computers

- Allowing different configurations based on the output display size (768p laptop vs 1080p TV output); but then there's the risk of making configuration too complicated. 4k TVs, in particular, may start to cause problems.

- In some cases it gives weird aspect ratios by default on my TV. I'll have to see exactly what refresh rate it is detecting when this problem happens.

- For 120hz displays, using madVR really becomes non-practical since it has only 8ms to process each frame. "Decrease frame size" performs resize functions before processing SVP, see if it's possible to process madVR there so that for a 24fps video on 120hz display, madVR processes only 24 frames with expensive algorithms and SVP has higher quality frames to work with.

17 (edited by Mystery 13-02-2015 00:10:42)

With these max settings, I did encounter some lags on 768p display with a video that has very complex lighting sources. That video is probably more demanding to process because of its content.

Edit: I did play again this video later and it played perfectly well... up to 1:50, at which point it started lagging and dropping frames. I have no idea what could be causing this.

This is the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_4nGY9at9M

Hmm... G3258 has a very good price per money... but that is not very good CPU.

In gamming, This CPU is best CPU I think. Because gamming is depends on GPU. But SVP is depends on CPU.

SVP's GPU limitation(?)(Sorry for bad English wink ) is ATI HD6850.

Because HD6850, 270X and 280X are not difference in SVP. When I use.

But When I change a CPU (FX6300 -> i7-4790K) I can see higher performance.

Source file : Blu-Ray 10bit AVC FLAC ( Uniform, 23. Complicated, 24 to 60, 8px, Half pixel, Search Radius & Wide Search are highest)

Mystery
Making it less conservative;

nope
it's better when a new user see SVP working and CPU is not overwhelming rather than SVP is stuttering right after clean installation wink