Topic: Smoothness question

I noticed the video is really smooth only when certain things happen in the video, like waterfall or anything with flowing or moving water. And also somtimes with fire it happens too..

Is it possible to be that smooth always? Because usually there is little visible change unless there is continuous fast moving objects or something

2 (edited by Maken1 13-01-2015 01:57:40)

Re: Smoothness question

hi , see if you like this:
- in the custom profile you like to test or use more, go to " Processing of scene changes: " then select " Blend adjacent frames ".  Thing is it make that scene kinda blurry, like motion blur when it happen and you can minimize that some increasing " Motion vectors grid " ( if your cpu can handle go for 12 px or 8 px ) but it will cause more " artifacts ". its up to you.   
I dont worry much about artifacts at this point, i prefer more smooth. if you dont like it at the end wait for SVP Team recommendation

Edit: ohh there is one player that always smooth not matter the scene but it cause lots of artifact to can do that. At the end for now somethings are about trade between less artifact but less smooth and more smooth but more artifacts. you have to make a choise and get use to it.  When i tried SVP for first time , never experienced artifacts and it was bothering me so much, i was trying to do all i could to minimize them as much as possible but i ended making less smooth, when i try to make it more smooth again then more artifacts were present. After all this time, i dont care much artifacts trust me, there will be moment you will prefer more smooth than anything without worry much about it.

3 (edited by Fanty1972 13-01-2015 07:47:36)

There is one thing that Maken1 did not mention, wich makes it more smooth:

"Frame Interpolation Mode" set to "Uniform"

Why? Whats up with that, how does it work and so on:

Default Setting of that is "Automatic", so it looks at the scene (the estaminated quality of the motion pathes if I understand it right) and decides if it can do 2m, 1.5m, 1m or Uniform.
Only if it thinks that the scene is very easy to do and there wont be any worse artefacts it choses "Uniform". Thats possibly the case in camera pans and stuff like that.
If the calculation shows that there might be worse artefacts coming (because the quality of the motion pathes is foretold to be bad) then it goes down with the setting and if the scene is really worse and will be totaly full of artefacts then it picks 2m, wich "feels" almost like non-smoothed (but if you try 2m on a camera pan, you see its better than no SVP at all, but it feels like "no SVP at all", if you dont compare it.)

If artefacts dont bother you but you want the maximum smoothness even in hard to do scenes, pick "Uniform".

In override.js file, opened with a text editor, you can even change, when the "automatic" setting shall fall back to m1 or m2 or at what bad quality of motion pathes is shall assume a scene change (can happen wihtout a real scene change if a police car with changing lights passes by)

Edit:
Possibly Maken means this:

ohh there is one player that always smooth not matter the scene but it cause lots of artifact to can do that.

4 (edited by xDragonking 13-01-2015 12:47:28)

I looked into the .js file and i didnt really understand anything xD

Btw I'm already using Uniform smoothness with 2x the frame rate (usually at 48fps because movies are 24fps) and it doesnt have many artifact (good thing) and is still smooth (in fast moving scenes like water flowing etc)

I tried 60fps but the artifacts are too much

I'll try some things you guys said, thanks

5 (edited by Fanty1972 13-01-2015 22:33:33)

xDragonking

Btw I'm already using Uniform smoothness with 2x the frame rate (usually at 48fps because movies are 24fps)

Yeah 2x has the lowest artefacts of all possible FPS settings. Just because 50% of the Frames (every second frame) is a original frame and 100% of the original frames are in the final video.
With 60FPS only 20% of the final frames are original frames and only 50% of the source frames are shown in the final video.

If you would have the possibility to show 120FPS, it would be better than 60FPS. Thats 20% original versus 80% rendered aswell (Like 60 FPS) but with 100% of the source frames showed in the final video. (plus of course 2 times as much FPS), so in theory, it only has advances and equals, but no disadvances.

I looked into the .js file and i didnt really understand anything xD

The things I spoke about are these:

So more worse the quality of the motionpathes so higher that number.

In default its:
If motion pathes are worse than 1600, fall back from UNiform to m1
If it becomes worse than 2800, fall back to m2 (dont know how m1.5 is defined)
If its worse than 4000, then assume thats a new scene and just show the next frame (or blend into the next frame if scene blending is activated)
If you watch a video with extreme changes in every frame (like say... a police car passing by and turning whole frames into red and blue shades all the time, or explosions all around in a dark scenario or smoke or fog or whatever changes the entire image all the time.... SVP does not work at all because it assumes the scene is changing once per second or faster. wink
If you increase that 4000 to say 8000 or higher then such scenes will be smoothed.

Hm. Since you use UNiform, the first two wont affect you, but the third will:

//smooth.scene.limits.m1        = 1600;
//smooth.scene.limits.m2        = 2800;
//smooth.scene.limits.scene        = 4000;

If your monitor can be overclocked to 72 fps (Nvidia/AMD PCs without Optimus enabled) then you will have almost best artifact-free mode for 24fps video. But overclock is overclock:)

7 (edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 30-01-2015 08:18:34)

He could always underclock his monitor to 48hz as well.

Modern Intel and Nvidia GPUs have this function built into their control panel, while AMD users can use CRU - Custom Resolution Utility.

Another thing to try is to set "SVP shader" to "complicated".  Now this setting will usually give noticably worse artifacts than Uniform would, but for certain scenes like time-lapse of moving clouds it is glorioius.

And if you're feeling particularly daring, you can even try setting the "motion vectors grid" to one of the three "Small" settings.

Fanty1972 wrote:

Default Setting of that is "Automatic", so it looks at the scene (the estaminated quality of the motion pathes if I understand it right) and decides if it can do 2m, 1.5m, 1m or Uniform.
Only if it thinks that the scene is very easy to do and there wont be any worse artefacts it choses "Uniform". Thats possibly the case in camera pans and stuff like that.
If the calculation shows that there might be worse artefacts coming (because the quality of the motion pathes is foretold to be bad) then it goes down with the setting and if the scene is really worse and will be totaly full of artefacts then it picks 2m, wich "feels" almost like non-smoothed (but if you try 2m on a camera pan, you see its better than no SVP at all, but it feels like "no SVP at all", if you dont compare it.)

It's a good timing you're saying this because I had just found this "Uniform" option and was wondering about it. It does seem to make the videos considerably smoother.

As for the artifacts, I'm not quite sure whether it is degrading image quality and how. What should I be looking for? Does it just cause more buggy artifacts on some scenes and textures? Or it subtly degrades the images in some other way?

Honestly in my experience the artifacting between adaptive and uniform look identical.

Of course, it could just be a case that uniform causes more not-so-obvious artifacts while any more obvious artifacts will not be made any worse with uniform.

Nintendo Maniac 64
Thanks for CRU link. But too bad, as I underclocked my display's fresh rate, the resolution became lower too.
I guess the option of lowering fresh rate only works nice with larger display resolution.

Actually, I too was tweaking the uniform or adaptive setting etc, but then I got tired with setting whatnot, so I left it default  lol
I just want to watch videos nicely and the default setting already gives me that big_smile

Fanty1972 wrote:

I tried increasing it but I didn't see much change, I didn't understand your "description" that well (language barrier I guess)

Do I understand it correctly that increase "4000" to "8000" or higher will make it so that the casuel scenes (not the fast moving as you described) will be smoothed? If not, is it possible to do it other way? Thanks

If you can't see the artifacts either...

Can one of the developers comment on the disadvantages of using Uniform mode?

xDragonking wrote:
Fanty1972 wrote:

I tried increasing it but I didn't see much change, I didn't understand your "description" that well (language barrier I guess)

In most scenes, you will not see the difference.

In scenes like this, people might recognise that SVP apears to stop smoothing with a limit of 4000:
http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/img/photos/2013/09/04/a5/cb/Kettering-Police-Wreck-2-090313.jpg
The light situation changes permanently. This causes the whole picture to change all the time.
Increasing that smooth.scene.limits.scene will help in THAT case. (or any other case where massive change in the picture shows up, that SVP falsely interprets as a scene change.
Very typical, like here is, if light sources move or change and by this alter everything else in the picture.

Do I understand it correctly that increase "4000" to "8000" or higher will make it so that the casuel scenes (not the fast moving as you described) will be smoothed? If not, is it possible to do it other way? Thanks

No, it will not help with the problem you described. It only helps in very special kind of scenes. (described above)

I dont know what your problem seems to be. You have a "stutter" effect, in every slow moving scenes you said.

Thats strange. Slow moving/changing things should be easier to smooth than fast moving things.
I wonder if something else is causing that stutter. The video renderer or madVR settings to high.

You COULD try the other things that already have been mentioned, but I am not sure if they help you, if the cause of the stutter is something else.

I wouldnt call it stutter. If I watch a video and there are 2 scenes: first is the whole screen is filled with water (raining or waterfall or other water idk) then the video is smoothed perfectly (it looks so real)

second scene is 2 persons talking to each other and nothing happens except that then video is not smoothed and it's like I didn't use SVP at all (there is only slight smoothing but not noticable)

It's like I use "adaptive" smoothing instead of "uniform" but I infact use "uniform" always.

I don't have any FPS drops, my cpu isn't even running 100% and I do not use madvr.

Can't SVP creators make a new "frame interpolation mode" that smooths every frame/scene ? Because Uniform is not enough I think. Also I use beginner svp interface because the advanced ones have too many options and I get confused

xDragonking wrote:

I wouldnt call it stutter. If I watch a video and there are 2 scenes: first is the whole screen is filled with water (raining or waterfall or other water idk) then the video is smoothed perfectly (it looks so real)

I would even imagine the oposite. Full screen waterfall could (dont know if its the case) be like constant scene change. Strange.

second scene is 2 persons talking to each other and nothing happens except that then video is not smoothed and it's like I didn't use SVP at all (there is only slight smoothing but not noticable)

uh ok. People talking.
Ok, thats definately one of the things where there is very small difference between smoothed and non-smoothed video, thats right. (if one uses the Demo-Mode to compare it. One person talking non-smoothed on the left and a person smoothed on the right)

Ok, the only idea for this is... try if decreasing the "motion vector grid" does improve that.
I do not know if it improves something like that, but in theory it could be the case.

And thats why:
Large motion vector grids detect rough, more global motion to smooth them. But very small, localy limited motions are not smoothed.
Imagine something like... turning a head and blinking the eye. The head turning beeing smoothed but the eyeblink does not get extra frames.

But I really dont know, how small and localy limited a motion must be to drop out of smoothing.

But decreasing that grid (make it finer) will make smaller motions smoothed aswell.
On the bad site, it increases artefacts and does need much more processing power.

Can't SVP creators make a new "frame interpolation mode" that smooths every frame/scene ? Because Uniform is not enough I think.

No. Uniform DOES smooth everything allways. Except if the scene changes. And you can increase the treshhold that recognises a scene change, so you could theoretically force SVP to smooth always, even over scene changes.
It did not help you.

Also I use beginner svp interface because the advanced ones have too many options and I get confused

Oh, I see.
Ok, to try the changed motion grid you need expert mode.
Then it looks like this:
http://img3.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/svpblablaoj8xqwlrdv.jpg

Leave everything alone, "ecxept motion vector grid". Try smaller numbers than the default 12.
Maybe try that "blend" setting aswell. (it helps for the same scenes, that increasing the scene limit helps, but in a different way. By blending frames into each others instead of rendering the motion)

Ah... I read something on another thread that explains what Uniform is and its impact on image quality

About AFM Mode
    Mode 0: Default setting and behavior depends on the GPU/APU
    Mode 1: Created 2 original frames and 3 interpolate frames when converted 24p to 60p
    Mode 2: Created 1 original frame and 4 interpolate frames when converted 24p to 60p

So "mode 1" maps to "1m" in SVP and "mode 2" maps to "uniform".

Which means that in Uniform mode, there are less original frames being displayed. Not sure whether it has any other impact.

This may explain why I don't seem to see any artifacting difference - I always interpolate to refresh rates that are exact multiples of the video's source framerate (like 24fps -> 96hz, 25fps -> 100hz, 30fps -> 90hz)

Do you see increased smoothness?

Mystery wrote:

Do you see increased smoothness?

Yes, though hopefully it's not just placebo.