Topic: High GPU Load Even When Video is Paused !!

Hi,
1) I open multiple videos but play them at different times and it's hard sometimes to close them all in order to stop SVP continuous usage of GPU (Temp= 57 °C, Fan= 41%) while they're paused!.
Exiting or disabling SVP temporarily (to be ran when needed) doesn't lower the usage until all videos are closed!
2) Is it possible to lower GPU Fan Speed since it becomes noisy when I play any video!
Any help would be highly appreciated smile

Cheers,
Salaam

Re: High GPU Load Even When Video is Paused !!

salam2009
1) First off all you need to find process with maximum CPU usage. Use Task Manager.
2) What video card do you have?

3 (edited by salam2009 23-12-2014 00:47:16)

1) Max usage would be in HD videos and your test belongs to CPU not GPU while I don't have an issue with CPU consumption.
2) EVGA Nvidia GTX 690 4GB.

salam2009
You are right. GPU Frequency stayed high even if SVP is closed until you close the player.

Try this fix: SVPMgr_3.1.6.1046_HighGPULoadFix.zip (361 KB)

Unpack and replace SVPMgr.exe in SVP folder

Problem was in ffdShow when disabling avisynth-script it not close SVP-library and not release OpenCL-device (GPU). Fixed.

- added release OpenCL-device on SVP exit and on SVP Disable mode;
- fixed Auto crop black bars option in multi-player configuration.

Now you can use Disable SVP option from SVP tray menu (Ctrl-Win-Alt-P hotkey) or Exit SVP to reduce your GPU Load.
The side effect is little jump backward in player when OpenCL-device is released.
Tested with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti.

Do you need option to release OpenCL-device when playback with SVP stayed at pause for a long time?

Post's attachments

SVPMgr_3.1.6.1046_HighGPULoadFix.zip 361.8 kb, 414 downloads since 2014-11-13 

5 (edited by salam2009 23-12-2014 00:47:28)

- I thought there would be an Auto OpenCL release in paused mode! OK, better than nothing.
1) Yes, I need to release it for a long time while paused.
2) What about lowering Fan Speed noisiness a little bit?
3) One last thing, when I enable "Auto Crop" on my (current) SVPMgr, my player gets crashed and YouTube videos enter re-buffering loop! Does this fix solve it? I use MPC-BE x32+Reclock.

Thank you so much for the amazing support! smile

salam2009
- I thought there would be Auto OpenCL release in paused mode!
Maybe. But it is driver issue. To decrease frequency and voltage at GPU idle.
The same question I see in madVR's topic there. The answer is to close player if you want to lower GPU consumption.

1) OK. Will be done soon.
2) You need GPU tuning utility to adjust GPU clock. I simply has silent GPU and I don't care wink
3) MPC-HC works good with Auto Crop. MPC-BE will be tested soon.

7 (edited by salam2009 26-12-2014 17:18:18)

MAG79
Maybe. But it is driver issue. To decrease frequency and voltage at GPU idle.
No, it's not! I noticed that when videos are tweaked by SVP then getting them paused, GPU still runs at 61 °C instead of becoming idle!! (I'm using DXVA2 (copy-back) setting).
This is really annoying for multi paused videos users!
Your help means the world sad

I edited my issue to be more accurate!
Any help would be highly appreciated!

9 (edited by salam2009 28-12-2014 01:24:26)

I FINALLY figured it out!! It was due to SVP's "GPU-acceleration OpenCL" feature being 'Enabled'!
I simply disabled it and now I can leave multiple tweaked videos (by SVP) being paused without worrying about GPU's continuous high load! smile
One last thing to note that this doesn't work if "NVIDIA CUVID" is used as Hardware Decoder in LAV Video options! (also, it makes GPU load high even before the video gets tweaked!).
Good luck fixing those bugs in the upcoming versions of SVP (if not just me of course).

Cheers,
Salaam