1 (edited by oviano 12-06-2014 21:35:23)

Topic: SVP settings changed/corrupted on 4 different PCs on the LAN

A weird one this - just recently installed four mini PCs with SVP, went through and chose the appropriate settings, profiles, threads, etc.

Then tonight, I noticed the following settings had changed at some point, on all four PCs:

- language changed to Russian
- threads reset to Auto
- auto cropping re-enabled

I only noticed this because it suddenly started adding black top and bottom bars to my live stream.

The rest of the settings seem to be intact.

I've changed the settings back and will keep an eye, but I'm struggling to think what might cause that to happen?

All I can think of is the other day, after setting SVP up how I wanted it I subsequently changed all the PCs to use the HDMI output rather than DisplayPort (can't see how that would do anything to SVP?) but also updated the BIOS on them all and also verified that when I pulled the plug out they would reboot according to the BIOS power setting (set to "Last State") - is it possible maybe that loss of power like that might result in some settings getting corrupted?

I'm using the latest version of SVP.

Where are the settings stored? Perhaps I could have it copy a master settings file over wherever this file is every time these machines boot, if there is a problem with it getting corrupted on a power cut.

Re: SVP settings changed/corrupted on 4 different PCs on the LAN

oviano
Where are the settings stored?

depends on choice at install time, "Users\All users\SVP 3.1" by default

but I don't think something can be corrupted with the power lost
still it's easy to test wink

recently installed four mini PCs with SVP

do you sell PCs with SVP pre-installed?  big_smile

3 (edited by oviano 12-06-2014 21:50:25)

Chainik wrote:

oviano
Where are the settings stored?

depends on choice at install time, "Users\All users\SVP 3.1" by default

but I don't think something can be corrupted with the power lost
still it's easy to test wink

Yeah, makes no sense to me either.

Thanks for the info about the settings.

Re: do I sell PCs, hah no, I just have an elaborate setup in several rooms in my house which let's me view my Slingbox stream from the UK in better quality thanks to SVP. It's the capture-based setup I've written about on here previously.

sorry but I just can't stop myself from asking  big_smile

so you have a combo of (slingbox + U3 capture + NUC + TV) at least in 4 rooms?
you're a real fan of TVs  big_smile

5 (edited by oviano 13-06-2014 03:48:40)

I use a USB capture device from Magewell.

PC1 (Intel NUC) runs the Slingbox viewing software and feeds into the capture device. Capture device outputs into PC2 (Gigabyte Brix Pro) which runs a modified version of MPC-HC. Modified because it communicates over the LAN with the Slingbox viewing software (SlingFront) to auto restart the capture in full screen mode at an appropriate framerate according to the source being viewed (which SlingFront knows of course, I obviously modified this software too).

Repeat 4 times smile (Well actually 7, as I'm about to set the same up in our summer house).

I'm nuts I know, at least my wife thinks so, but it's more fun than buying 7 new TVs with motion interpolation.

Not so much a fan of TVs as of football, and football looks shit at 25/30fps. I need different rooms to watch in to cover all situations - kids running about making too much noise, wife watching something else, etc.

But ultimately I'm just having fun setting it all up and perfecting it smile

oviano
did you hear about "torrent tv"? smile

7 (edited by oviano 15-06-2014 08:29:36)

Chainik wrote:

oviano
did you hear about "torrent tv"? smile

Sounds dodgy and for the channels I want most likely illegal and I don't do illegal smile

Bizarre, had this happen again today after another powercut. All 4 machines again.

Doesn't reproduce everytime though.

Is it possible that SVP is holding the settings file handle open while running or something and maybe this is leaving the file in an indeterminate state upon restart?

It's always the same outcome too - back to Russian language and settings to defaults. Maybe this is what you get when the file gets deleted/corrupted/truncated and it can't read the settings?

Next time it happens I'll see if I can spot anything about the files but is there any chance you can check your code and see if there are any flaws that might surface if power is lost while SVP is running?

I'll try to force MAG79 to look into this issue cause he's the only one who can read the Manager's sources

(which is extremely hardcore Delphi code big_smile)

The problem is he's too busy right now...

I can fix anything except the Manager  big_smile

obviously "SVP 3.1\Settings\settings.ini" is corrupted (seems like it's opened but not closed anywhere), but I still can't fix this myself

oviano
Can you attach here your corrupted settings.ini file?

Unfortunately I corrected the settings after it happened, but I'll certainly attach it when I see it again.