1 (edited by Mystery 25-05-2014 04:16:48)

Topic: Video Lag on Windows 8.1

I recently upgraded my computer to Windows 8.1. Since then, I'm having lower performance with SVP. I configured MPC+SVP+madVR with optimal settings for my system, but now those settings aren't good anymore.

In fact, if I disable madVR and use only SVP on 1080p TV, this video lags. It plays with a 5:2 ratio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKAnYWNnYW8

I have dual-graphics card set to High Performance (have to rename mpc-hc.exe to something else to be able to do that and it works). My card is a Radeon HD 7600M.

I tried various version of the 14.4 drivers. I tried Leshcat's latest drivers. I tried AMD's official drivers. I tried leeKM's drivers. SVP is lagging with all of them.

I realized that SVP's GPU acceleration setting had somehow been disabled so re-enabled it, but it's still lagging.

Everything worked perfectly in Windows 8, and I could add quite a bit of madVR processing on top of it.

2 (edited by Mystery 25-05-2014 04:31:19)

Re: Video Lag on Windows 8.1

huh... after posting this, I tried playing the video again. This time it plays properly. I haven't changed anything.

That's with LeeKM's driver. With AMD and Leshcat's drivers, I haven't been able to see it playing properly.

That being said, I still clearly have lower performance than I used to have, with sporadic lag where the video gets out of sync with the audio. I do not know for sure if the problem is with SVP or madVR, or both.

OK. During the first test after reboot, the system was probably still working and loading components, and that might be why it was still lagging.

This video is interesting because with my current settings, it pushes my card to the limit. Right now, in 1080p full-screen, it's playing well. However, in window mode, because of the resizing, it is lagging. It didn't in Windows 8.

LeeKM drivers' performance is slightly better than the official drivers (no idea how), so that might explain why the 2 other version can't play the video properly at all. a 2% difference can make all the difference when the GPU is at 99%.

So there's still definitely a lower performance somewhere, but that might be more of a drivers issue. I guess we can close this thread. I'll keep testing and post if I see something more that relates to SVP.

It is definitely a drivers issue. I posted about this on madVR forum, and people said this.

------------------

Don't use 14.4 at all, no version of it, its much slower than previous drivers.

There have also been many reports of BSODs related to Flash and Firefox's Direct2D-based hardware acceleration implementation (to the point where they are currently blacklisted for Nightly builds of Firefox) - these drivers are bad news. I suggest going back to 13.12.