Topic: Cannot reach 120 fps. Why?

Hello Gents!

I found this piece of software a few days ago and so far I'm really enjoying it! I just have a small problem regarding my 120Hz monitor (1080p).

First, I am NOT using madVR because it doesn't fit my needs as for upscaling or smooth motion. I use MPC-BE, LAV filters and SVP with default setting.

Here's my problem: I can't get to 120 fps consistently during a film playback which leads into stuttering. The thing is that I can set the target framerate to half the refresh rate (60fps) and I am quite happy with it, but I'd really like to use the full potential of my 120Hz monitor to get the smoothest experience.

If I set the framerate to the refresh rate (120fps), the framerate is never constant and always going between 80 and 120 fps. I see you coming with "Your hardware is probably too old". I have a i7-2700K@4.8GHz and MSI GTX 770 Lightning and the CPU is never used at more than 20%, same for the GPU.

So here's my question: Why can't I get 120 fps if my hardware isn't even stressed? Am I missing something?

I tried with madVR active, all SVP options to minimum, and I ALWAYS get the same framerate between 80 and 120 fps.

If you need any more detail, I'll gladly povide it. I hope you can solve my problem smile

Re: Cannot reach 120 fps. Why?

Valtrius
Try any renderer what can draw 120 fps intime.
They are:
- Overlay mixer,
- VMR9 renderless custom d3d fullscreen,
- EVR custom d3d fullscreen,
- Sync renderer d3d fullscreen,
- madVR windowed overlay / exclusive mode / disable desktop composition.
Check jitter absence by tearing line (Ctrl-Win-T).

Thanks, I'll try it as soon as I get home. I'll let you know the results.

Than you, it worked perfectly smile

I was using the VMR 9 Renderless, but haven't turned on D3D Full screen or Alternative VSync.
Turning Alternative VSync on solved my problem and it is now playing at 120 fps flawlessly. (It worked the same with EVR Custom)

Thanks a lot! smile

Sorry to interrupt this thread (if I am doing so, let me know), but I really like to know how 120fps differs to 60fps using SVP. Can you tell me if there's any noticeable experience, more fluids and such?

EzioAs
Difference between 24 and 60 more noticeable than between 60 and 120 Hz but I see it.
I have very fast 120 Hz display with strobe backlight named LightBoost. It gives me maxmum dynamic resolution and no motion blur.
Instructions for Zero Motion Blur on LightBoost LCD

I too have ran into this problem except I wasn't even getting near 80-120fps like you claimed.  It was only at 59.94 just like on my 60hz monitor.  It was set at "Screen refresh rate" too, so I have no idea why svp wasn't automatically going to 120fps.  I thought it was just supposed to work depending on the refresh rate of the monitor you are using.

mng519
1. Where did you see 59.94?
2. Please show Additional information from SVP tray menu - Information