Topic: huge ghosting/artifacts for sports/football?

I get huge ghosting/interlace-like artifacts(mostly with the ball) when watching football videos with svp... is there a feature for very fast moving videos like fooball?

Re: huge ghosting/artifacts for sports/football?

this is also present in commercial video players with motion interpolation i tried (ex. splash pro)... but is it present on tv led sets? (I don't recall seeing that kind of artifacts when i watched football demos at the tv stores)

It is depend on material.
Artifacts are present everywhere.

I mostly watch live football with SVP.

The biggest problem is ghosting, in particular when you have a close up shot of a player running against a static background such as the crowd it can look awful, with blobs and outlines and all sorts appearing. For normal viewing of the pitch it works very well in my experience.

The default shader seems to be best and have the minimum artifacts - even the 'complicated' one which is supposed to reduce ghosting doesn't help, in fact it seems to add a bunch of edge artifacts without making the ghosting any better.

A lesser problem is that when the ball moves fast it just appears to no longer be motion interpolated at all, but reducing the motion vectors grid to 6 makes this a lot better.

Depending on the shader used, you can make a fast moving ball appear as three balls at once, though not with the default shader.

I'd like to see the developers try and tune SVP for sports viewing, taking account of the above. But then I would say that because like I say, I use it mostly for watching football (that's real football, not that American rubbish by the way smile)

me2 i watch a lot of football(soccer for US) and I do get "3 balls" effect when ball is moving fast... I also get it in the commercial software splash pro too lol ... but on commercial LED 120hz... I have not noticed such ghosting... how do they do? lol

Did you try using "min. artifacts" interpolation mode? It's much less smooth but it reduces them significantly...

What Im doing nowadays is I set the fps to "double the source" so it is mostly 48fps and with uniform interpolation mode it is smooth and with much less artifacts... At least for me

Btw I think you have to use Basic interface type to see these options.

Yeah it just loses much of the smoothness (particularly the ball when it moves quickly) that having a motion vectors grid of 6-8 brings...