Topic: recommended budget htpc specs for smooth full hd svp?

firstly, i must say SVP is great!!! I never knew you could get soap opera effect on a 60hz monitor!!! that's awesome...

I am building a budget HTPC and now that i have discovered SVP, i want to know what are the minimum specs for smooth SVP performance.. (currently running it on my 5yrs old pc running q8200; it is smooth but not totally)

here's the specs(before i knew about SVP) that i have been planning to get:

core I3 4130
no GPU
4GB ddr3 ram

are these specs enough for smooth SVP full hd performance?

Re: recommended budget htpc specs for smooth full hd svp?

From ReadMe_eng.txt:

Common system requirements:
-------------------------
DXVA-compatible video card
Windows Vista/7 is highly recommended

Minimum system hardware:
- Core2 Duo 2.0 GHz or similar
- 2 GB RAM
- Video card (AMD integrated, Intel HD 2000 (Sandy Bridge) integrated or later)

Recommended system hardware:
- Recent quad-core CPU
(Intel Core2 Quad >= 3.0 GHz, Intel Core i5 or higher,
AMD Phenom X4, AMD FX-6000 or higher)
- OpenCL 1.1 compatible video card
(ATI/AMD Radeon HD 5000 or later, NVIDIA GeForce 8000 or later)
- 4 GB RAM

Optimal system hardware:
- High-end CPU
(Intel Core i5-2500 or higher, desktop Intel Core i7,
AMD Phenom X6, AMD FX-8000 or higher)
- Recent mid-range video card
(ATI/AMD Radeon HD 5700/6700 or higher, NVIDIA GeForce 260/450/550 or higher)

thx but how would you rate the core I3 4130? does the iGPU and quickvideo help performance?

i3 4130 has performance 1200-1400 SVPmarks (see i3 4130 results).
It can smooth FullHD video from 24 to 60 fps at 'good' settings. See FPS in 'good' subtest column.
Yes. iGPU is used and useful for this task.

thx! I am new to this.. this is a pretty good score right? i just need fullHD at most 60fps smile so should be good i guess right? these scores are average fps? or min fps?

"good settings" = no artifacts?

No. No artifact is imposible. Good settings in terms SVP 3.0 = 3g (or in your case 4g) profiles set in terms SVP 3.1. They have settings values that give good balance between smoothness and artifactless.

ok thx! if in the future I add a GPU, would it improve performance greatly? if yes what GPU?

MAG79 wrote:

No. No artifact is imposible. Good settings in terms SVP 3.0 = 3g (or in your case 4g) profiles set in terms SVP 3.1. They have settings values that give good balance between smoothness and artifactless.

are artifacts even present on the 120hz soap opera effect found on LED tvs?

yeahman45
I add a GPU, would it improve performance greatly?
No. But you will get free performance to another processing video on GPU: pixel shaders like sharpen complex 2, madVR's doubling, upsize and dither.

what GPU?
You need to try it with your iGPU at smaller frame size. Then decide to yourself what power do you need.

are artifacts even present on the 120hz soap opera effect found on LED tvs?
Yes. Less or more.

ok thx for your help and replies smile

is it possible to limit the fps to 48 instead of 60fps?

yeahman45
is it possible to limit the fps to 48 instead of 60fps?

use "target frame rate" option

I don't see this option even if i enable expert interface

This option situated in profile settings window. You can adjust vaule of this settings individually for every frame resoltion.

I bave these options:
2.4x
2.5x
double framerate
screen refresh rate /2
screen refresh rate /3
to screen refresh rate

I cannot input a value

yeahman45
I cannot input a value
All usefull values can calculate automatically.
For 48 fps use 'double framerate'. It more correct to different input framerates: 23.976, 24, 25, 30 and another nonstandard.

--
If you want 48 fps and only 48 then use false monitor refresh rate: SVP tray menu - Screen selection - Force... - Specify custom screen refreshrate

Caution: You will get jerky playback if your framerate differ from monitor refresh rate.

ok thx!

I would go with a i5 quad core CPU. I say this since my I7-2600k witrh 4 true cores with HyperThreading so I have 8 threads running at 4300-4800mhz with 2 GTX770 GPU's in SLI. Even with that nice overclock SVP with everything maxed can bring a overclocked 2600k to its knees. I am running it with MPHC and madvr "the full SVP install pack" and I have my madVR setting up high with jinc 4 taps etc and the video card can handle it. Its the extra frames at full HD that sometime will bring it to its knees. like motions vectors grid if I keep that at default its fine go to 7px small 1 CPU use passes 85%or 6 px small1 thats when cpu usage maxes out for the most part above 90%.

I think a true quad core would be best. I am still figuring it out but I also have 2 i3 2120 3.3ghz dual cores with HT one running a low profile hd 6570 gpu and the other has a HD 7750 GPU they both do a fine job also. I just cannot max anything out like i can on mu bigger machine.

If you plan on adding a GPu to your haswell dual core with HT the AMD HD7750 does a fine job even with madVR maxed out almost as much as it can be. I feel the AMD/ATI GPUs do a better job for HTPC/lioght gaming then Nvidia. And I happen to own 2 EVGA GTX 770 Classified cards in SLI in my gaming rig that cost me 450$ each.

If you did not get your CPU yet Intel is releasing a haswell refresh with some interesting new chips liike a overclockable 20th anniversary pentium  dual core. they are replacing the 4770k with a 4790k. On top of that I think they are removing the horrible paste between the Integrated heat sink and the CPU chip and soldering them on like sandy bridge and ivy bridge -E. this was the main reason for higher temperatures compared to the soldered on IHS on sandy bridge 2600k etc. when they release ivy bridge quad cores and haswell quad cores they started using gray paste instead of fluxless solder.