1 (edited by Fanty1972 28-11-2013 08:18:31)

Topic: Why does shader 21 and 23 base on 11 and not on 13?

Hi there, its me again.  big_smile
I tried googling it, if it was already asked (Forum seems not to have a search on itself) but did not find it at once, so I open this topic here.
So many questions.... sorry. wink

OK, I finaly found the description of the shaders. And it says Shader 13 is like shader 11+"dynamc median".
And Shader 21 is shader 11 with a masking system to reduce "halo" effects, while shader 23 is shader 21 with a more complicated masking system that masks "halos" more succesfull, but loses smoothness. Right? Well whatever.

I checked a scene of a Music video of Lindsey Stirling where she attacks Peter Hollens with a fiddlestick that is used like a sword.

The fiddlestick has quiet anoying artefacts in that scene (it took a 32 grid to get rid of it completely) I checked the same scene with shader 11, 13, 21 and 23 and it looked absolutely identical in 11, 21 and 23 while it looked much better (not perfect, but .... almost like a 24 Grid with the other shaders even through a 12 was used.

So yeah ok I understand it looks identical because 21 and 23 are 11 with a halo masking. What interests me is, why isnt there a 13 with a halo masking? the "dynamic median" (whatever that is) seems to really improve the shader, so why arent 21 and 23 not based on 13 but on the older (lower number?) 11?

2 (edited by Metagondria 27-12-2013 02:57:48)

Re: Why does shader 21 and 23 base on 11 and not on 13?

Yezzz...  you want to go for MAXIMUM VELOcity smoothness i'dd say... any day..  big_smile

by grid 32, u probebly mean motion grid 32px...  if so.. yes... that elliminates most artifacts but also reduces the smoothieness significantly !!!

And isnt that all where we live for... to watch movie / episodes / flik ...  at its maximum peak  big_smile !!

maybe you can fiddle with artifacts masking .. but dont go higher then weak impact mode + like grid to 12 (default) or else u risk to loose smoothie again...  big_smile 

And oh yeah maybe cropping pixels;.. but that last one tends to blur the image for me .. i have noticed .. and has lil to no gain using it..

I find .. most of the default settings are spot on.. and is the best you can get atm ... and u cant entirely defeat those nasty artifcats anyway.. that is →WHITOUT← sacrificing SMOOTH playback !!!

SVP indeed has been good for me the past weeks... cool

Just ... have to fix that nasty menu navigation issues .. and maybe an Auto switch for SW deinterlacing in ffdshow ... and its done  neutral

cherrieppoopers,

3 (edited by Fanty1972 30-12-2013 20:29:46)

Well Met, grid is not the topic. Settings is not the topic.
The topic is, why does the creator of shader 23 use shader 11 as basis. Why didnt he not use a 13, wich apears superior to 11.
In other words: I would like to see a new shader (shader 24 or whatever) that is a 23, but basing on 13 not on 11.

And I hped you would be gone already. ;-P

Fanty1972
I would like to see a new shader (shader 24 or whatever) that is a 23, but basing on 13 not on 11.

we tried that one long ago and voted to remove it cause it's just ugly  big_smile

Chainik wrote:

Fanty1972
I would like to see a new shader (shader 24 or whatever) that is a 23, but basing on 13 not on 11.

we tried that one long ago and voted to remove it cause it's just ugly  big_smile

hmm. ok