Topic: SVP vs TV Frame Interpolation

Hi,

i am using SVP for a couple of days now and i am wondering how it compares to the frame interpolation settings most modern TVs do have built in.
As far is i know, the FI on TVs is a bit better because of the much smaller amount of artifacts in the picture. SVP produces - even on the highest settings - much more artifacts depending on the movie source.
So why are TVs that good even with their ridiculous weak CPU? Or am i wrong and SVP has a better FI than good TVs?

Re: SVP vs TV Frame Interpolation

daglax
It is not a simple question.
SVP is software universal solution based on common CPU and GPU. FI on TV is hardware commercial solution based on special signal processors. Algorithm of FI for all TVs is commercial secret. So nobody can tell you objectively what TV has better quality of its FI. And what is better SVP or TV FI.

But. I use both technoligies when watching movies at my TV. I use SVP to get 60 frames/sec then output it to TV via HDMI and my TV does 120 frames/sec. It gives best result comparing to SVP and TV FI separately. wink

Thanks for the answer. Did you compare both on the same movie especially one with fast action scenes? Then i get a huge amount of artifacts with SVP on very high settings and on my friends TV the interpolation still is very fluent.
I can't imagine that this behavior depends only on the pure hardware solution on the TV whereas a PC has to use Software calculation. In the end, it's all about calculating the algorithms...
The frame interpolation of PowerDVD or SplashPro for example works quite well without artifacts and huge amounts of CPU-power.

daglax
i get a huge amount of artifacts with SVP on very high settings
It should be so. High quality settings are stored in profile set 5g. Another settings lead to quality losses and to artifacts grown.

The frame interpolation of PowerDVD or SplashPro for example works quite well without artifacts and huge amounts of CPU-power
Why not use them instead SVP? hmm
SVP gives much more smoothness.

MAG79 wrote:

I use both technoligies when watching movies at my TV. I use SVP to get 60 frames/sec then output it to TV via HDMI and my TV does 120 frames/sec. It gives best result comparing to SVP and TV FI separately. wink

I wonder do you use a 120 hz screen? or does your display interpolate at 120hz but displaying 60hz? I am asking because my Epson projector has hardware FI that seems to work that way (Epson isn't really clear about this though).

I assumed enabling FI on my projector would conflict (artifacts) with the already 'true' 60hz SVP frames my computer is feeding.

I am kinda suprised you use both smile

theugly
do you use a 120 hz screen?
I use  Philips 40PFL5007T with PMR400 FI. It can process any video: 24p and 60p. But on 60p it works more smoothly and does less mistakes (less artifacts).