Topic: Can i play Blu Rays?

So i finally got a Blu Ray player for my PC, can i somehow get it too work with SVP? I'd love to watch Avatar in 3D and 48fps big_smile

Re: Can i play Blu Rays?

mckevstah
3D blurays are not supported. But general bluray discs can be played with SVP.

How can i get it to work with normal blu rays?

I am working on that right now, so far I have only gotten it to work converting the Blu-ray playlists to MKV files. I did this with Make MKV.
If you choose the correct playlist from a given Blu-ray, it crashes Potplayer (what I am using in my case).

Make MKV also removes the AACS copy protection so you can watch the Blu-ray on un-licensed computer players.

Of course Make MKV is not free _ it has a 30 day trial.

Jeff R 1
Of course Make MKV is not free _ it has a 30 day trial.

mkvmerge/MKVtoolnix is not free?  hmm

mckevstah

what problems with normal blu-rays?

7 (edited by Jeff R 1 08-12-2013 01:42:55)

Rimsky
MKVtoolnix

I just downloaded and installed MKVtoolnix and it won't create any MKV files from a Blu-ray disc unless you defeat the AACS. In this case I used AnyDVD HD.
With Make MKV it has this feature built in and that's what costs. If you try to make MKV files from a Blu-ray disc with out removing the AACS code, the program just errors out.
Maybe I'm missing something, you tell me how to create MKV files from a Blu-ray disc with out first removing the AACS code _ with any program that creates MKV files when a Blu-ray disc is involved ?

I know only one way: AnyDVDHD remove protection, mkvtoolnix mux into mkv

But MPC-HC can playback film from the bluray disk: select the biggest file in the STREAM subfolder

9 (edited by Jeff R 1 08-12-2013 01:50:33)

Rimsky wrote:

I know only one way: AnyDVDHD remove protection, mkvtoolnix mux into mkv

But MPC-HC can playback film from the bluray disk: select the biggest file in the STREAM subfolder

Yes, once AnyDVD HD removes the AACS code somewhere along the way MPC-HC will play the biggest stream file.

Unless something has changed _ personally I could never could get MPC-HC to consistently play Blu-ray disc files _ with or with out AnyDVD HD.

Sorry
I cant help anymore
The last my license disk was DVD and after it I never buy this crap again

11 (edited by Jeff R 1 08-12-2013 18:48:25)

mckevstah wrote:

OK, what computer Blu-ray player are you using now, what operating system do you have and is it 32 or 64 bit ?

Also, what kind if processor do you have and what kind of video card do you have ? (make and model number for both)

I'll tell you how I got my Blu-rays to play, that doesn't necessarily mean that's the only way, it means it's the way I got them to play.

Jeff R 1 wrote:
mckevstah wrote:

OK, what computer Blu-ray player are you using now, what operating system do you have and is it 32 or 64 bit ?

Also, what kind if processor do you have and what kind of video card do you have ? (make and model number for both)

I'll tell you how I got my Blu-rays to play, that doesn't necessarily mean that's the only way, it means it's the way I got them to play.

LG blu ray reader and burner.
windows 7 64bit. Also have it installed on windows 8.1.
3770k (4.2) and a gtx 770 lightning ed.
8gb ram.

13 (edited by Jeff R 1 09-12-2013 05:54:06)

mckevstah
Sorry, I wasn't quite clear in one of my questions _ I meant what Blu-ray player are you using to watch your Blu-ray movies with (if any), eg. Cyberlink Power DVD 13 or Arcsoft 6. Those you have to pay for; there are free ones, but they are un-licensed players which means that you have to remove the copy protection from the Blu-ray disc before they will play on un-licensed players. Examples of those are XBMC and MPC-HC video player. Some say they can get a Blu-ray to play with MPC-HC, but it never really worked that well for me _ the sound would cut in and out and sometimes it wouldn't even load the disc.

The instructions below are for Windows 7.

However SVP recommends Daum PotPlayer and in the full install it also installs MPC-HC, but for my little tutorial here we'll use Potplayer as that worked for me once I finally figured it out.

Install Potplayer from this link.

http://www.videohelp.com/download/PotPl … .40688.EXE (Make sure and use the 32 bit version only)

Then go here and install the full version of SVP with all the extras.

http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Download (use the direct download from SVP {32 MB})

After everything installs re-start you computer.

Go here and follow the screen shots and instructions to set up SVP.

http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Daum_PotPlayer_with_DXVA

You have a 64 bit OS so you have to use the 4GB patch. To do this go to "All Programs" > SVP 3.1 > Utilities > Click on "4GB Patch and a window will open.
In that Window navigate to "Computer" > Local Disc (C:) > Program Files (x86) > Daum > Potplayer >PotPlayerMini  (or PotPlayerMini.exe).
A "Click OK" window will pop up _ Then "Click OK"

That takes care of setting up SVP, now you have to prepare the Blu-ray so it will play in Potplayer, the Blu-ray disc itself will not play directly unless it's converted to a MKV file container. At least this is the only way I could get it to work for me.

Go to MakeMKV and install version 1.8.6 for Windows.

http://www.makemkv.com/download/

MakeMKV has decryption software to remove the AACS code so MakeMKV can create files, with out any decryption software it won't work. You can also use Any DVDHD, but for now use the function in "MakeMKV"

Open MakeMKV, load your Blu-ray (2D version only) and let it scan. Do what you see in the screen shots and save the MKV file of your movie (I used the 2D version of Avatar in this case) to where ever you like _ it also helps to create a folder with the movie name so you can tell Potplayer where to find it when the time comes.

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj623/jeffr15/MakeMKVBlu-Ray_zps7bee78b8.png

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj623/jeffr15/MKVPlayList_zps48d2f0fd.png

In my case I chose the biggest file of 41.8 GB (that's the movie), DTS-HD Lossless English and Forced Subtitles. You may choose what ever language, but for Avatar you need to choose forced subtitles.
Select your output folder that you created earlier and start the process by click on the "Make MKV" box in the upper right hand corner _ this will take around an hour.

Now go to "All Programs" > SVP 3.1 > SVP Manager and left click on that.

Go to your tool bar and click on the "Show Hidden Icons" arrow in the tool bar. (I have mine hidden)

Right click on the SVP Manager Icon and a list will come up. At the top of the list find "Video Profiles". Mouse over "Video Profiles" and click on "Reset To Defaults" and a new window will open _ SVP will choose a pre-defined rendering method _ with your set up it probably choose level 5C or 5G, depending on whether or not which is stronger your CPU or GPU. I am guessing that it will choose 5C.

Now, open Potplayer and right click on the blue screen and choose "Open Files" at the top of the list. Go to your saved movie that you created earlier with Make MKV and click on it and it should begin to play with SVP.

After all this I hope it works.  wink

If you have a licensed player like Arcsoft TMT 6 then you don't need to create MKV files of your Blu-ray movie, but I don't how to make SVP work with TMT 6 or any licensed player for that matter.
So far the above method is the only way I know how to play a Blu-ray with SVP, feel free to experiment with MPC-HC or any thing else.

Jeff R 1

here you are wrong:

Mouse over "Video Profiles" and click on "Reset To Defaults" and a new window will open _ SVP will choose a pre-defined rendering method _ with your set up it probably choose level 5C or 5G, depending on whether or not which is stronger your CPU or GPU. I am guessing that it will choose 5C.

1. Bluray remuxes is the hardest video to play and smoothing
When you press "reset to defaults" SVP run quick test for optimal performans for the current system
Selecting 5C/G profiles on the nonpowerfull hardware way to slowdown, jerkness and other perforamance issue

2. 5G profile is prefer becouse G algorithms is more precise and picture is more accurate

By the way: SVP make "reset to defaults" during installation too

Jeff R 1
However SVP recommends Daum PotPlayer and in the full install it also installs MPC-HC

where/when exactly SVP recommended PotPlayer?
SVP work with any player with directshow filters supports
If SVP recommended PotPlayer then potPlayer was included into SVP_Full, but this is not

16 (edited by Jeff R 1 09-12-2013 15:03:07)

Rimsky wrote:

Jeff R 1

here you are wrong:

Mouse over "Video Profiles" and click on "Reset To Defaults" and a new window will open _ SVP will choose a pre-defined rendering method _ with your set up it probably choose level 5C or 5G, depending on whether or not which is stronger your CPU or GPU. I am guessing that it will choose 5C.

1. Bluray remuxes is the hardest video to play and smoothing
When you press "reset to defaults" SVP run quick test for optimal performans for the current system
Selecting 5C/G profiles on the nonpowerfull hardware way to slowdown, jerkness and other perforamance issue

2. 5G profile is prefer becouse G algorithms is more precise and picture is more accurate

By the way: SVP make "reset to defaults" during installation too

What ever guy, you can do what you think is best...

17 (edited by Jeff R 1 09-12-2013 15:12:58)

Rimsky wrote:

Jeff R 1
However SVP recommends Daum PotPlayer and in the full install it also installs MPC-HC

where/when exactly SVP recommended PotPlayer?
SVP work with any player with directshow filters supports
If SVP recommended PotPlayer then potPlayer was included into SVP_Full, but this is not

Well SVP doesn't come right out and recommend Potplayer, but I assumed this since SVP provides instruction from this link.

Do what you want, all I did was give instructions that worked for me _ you seemed like you needed help with your Blu-ray.

And you're welcome, it took quite a little while to type all that out, take screen shots, edit them with Windows Paint, upload them to Photobucket and load them here.  hmm

Jeff R 1
Well SVP doesn't come right out and recommend Potplayer, but I assumed this since SVP provides instruction from this link.

our team is russian
So in russian wiki there are a lot of insructions for players/HTPC:

try to use google translate with it

- MPC-HC
- Pot Player
- KMPlayer
- GOM
- ProgDVB
- MediaPortal
- Windows Media Center
- XBMC, IPTV+SVP in XBMC

If we would recommended PotPlayer then we inserted the PotPlayer would have in SVPFull
But in SVPFull now inserted and tuned up MPC-HC - it a bit stable, a bit flexible, a bit simpler

Jeff R 1
all I did was give instructions that worked for me

Thanks for the instruction!

But to perfection is not enough for a small detail - profile selection is only needed "reset to defaults", not manual 5C

5C is best for you becose you have a weak GPU and powerfull CPU
But for other your readers it is not perfect: they may have a slower CPU and better GPU

19 (edited by Jeff R 1 09-12-2013 18:03:34)

Sorry, I didn't check who was posting, I thought you were the OP.  roll I bet the OP has been scared away by now.
You know what really would be great if you could get SVP to work with Arcsoft TMT6 or Power DVD13.  big_smile
Would a GeForce 760 be enough to run 1080p video with SVP ?

Jeff R 1
Sorry

never mind wink

Jeff R 1
Arcsoft TMT6 or Power DVD13
no chanse
there are players with proprietary technology and they are closed for third parts

Jeff R 1
Would a GeForce 760 be enough to run 1080p video with SVP ?

yep
the minimal GPU for SVPGPU is GT640 (with 384sp) or HD5750 (not Mobile, as rule mobile GPU is half-performance of the desktop with the same number)
GTX760 is more than enought for SVPGPU

Rimsky
Just wanted to make sure, I was playing with the settings and I did manage to even max out my processor _ I got this warning that it's usage was up to 94% _ even the graphics was not enough. I had the Frame Interpolation mode set to "Uniform (max Smoothness) and SVP Shader set to "Complicated. The card in it now is a HD7670 which I will be replacing with the GTX760.
I'm building a new rig with a Haswell i7-4770k. I'll think I'll need it as my projector refreshes at a 120Hz as apposed to just 60Hz with the computer monitor.
The Haswell can be overclocked to 4.2 Hz if need be.
Thanks for everything, I'll let the forum know how things are going.

Jeff R 1
I had the Frame Interpolation mode set to "Uniform (max Smoothness) and SVP Shader set to "Complicated.

try to reset to defaults
And take sure that GPU-Acceleration is enabled