Topic: Heavy Video "stutter" (jumping) not directly SVp related

Hi there! I need some help/advice from people who know something about these things.
Something happend (either to me or the computer). I seem unable to watch video without SVP because its totaly unwatchable and I dont think that its because I got used to SVP, it must be something else.

Its like this:
Tearing lines shutter and jump like craisy on normal 24FPS video (without SVP and I made sure that Avisynth is off). Specially camera movement causes image shuttering that is so extreme that I cannot imagine that this was before. I think its because all the imagery does exactly what the tearing like does: dancing like mad.

(its the question if my computer does this with SVP too or not. I think it does, just 5 times as fast (120FPS), so that it looks like 1 line not jumping. But its slightly wider than the paused lines. So it does!

I oberve this behavior in all videos, in VLC, MPC or Potplayer and even Flashplayer in a browser.

Unfortunantely I just sold my old computer and have no "neutral" mashine avaible to check if this is indeed "normal" behavior and I just got used to smoother things (I doubt it) Also, isnt the MPC Tearing test suposed to be smooth and unjumpy in 24 or 25 FPS?

Windows recovery says there are no recovery points.... uh... (strange, I am sure I did some. Last was before K-Lite Codec Pack install, totaly sure).... strange   sad

Well I uninstalled the last things I did to check if it helps: SVP (and everything that was installed with it), K-Lite Codec Pack and the GPU driver. No change so far.

Any ideas?  sad

Re: Heavy Video "stutter" (jumping) not directly SVp related

vsync?

Rimsky wrote:

vsync?

Does not help.
Not if I force it in the driver settings, not if I use it in MPC. Not the improved VSync and not the alternative VSync.

That it must be my PC and not "in general" suggests that I send a FRAPS captured (60FPS because thats the max of FRAPS) "Demonstrationmode" Video. (captured from small windows, otherwise its too slow)
When I play it, there is massive shaking in on the "source" side and perfect smoothness on the "smooth" side.

I mailed (its only 30 seconds in lengh and heavy compressed, so its less than 10MB in size) this video to 3 people I know.
1 said, she cant see any difference at all. 2 said, the right side is SLIGHTLY smoother, but only if one looks close.

Like I said, for ME, the "source" side is UNBEARABLE totaly horrible shaking (nor can I recall "normal" video having so horrible camera pans, nor did I believe anyone would do a camera pan ever, if this is the result) it almost "blurrs" the faces by shaking them in fast speed and the "smooth" side is perfectly calm.  hmm  (it was the camera moving over the faces of some Jedi, in a burrial ceremony. "Clone Wars")

Also bad: the intro of GOT (all the time camera movement. Everything looks like its high frequently (many times per second) shaking 1 or 2 pixels up and down or right and left or something like that.

Sigh.  sad

Fanty1972
1. Run DPC Latency Checker from Start - Programs - SVP 3.1.5 - Utilities. It must show green bars. If not go to dpclat homepage and read carefully how to fix the problem.
2. Run GPU-Z. What GPU Load and temperature when video is played?

Fanty1972
what hardware did you use?

Rimsky wrote:

Fanty1972
what hardware did you use?

This (buyed October 2012)
(first english language page that google wanted to come up with for me):
http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/review/ … ok/427743/

Fanty1972
is intel HD active and in use while stuttering?

MAG79 wrote:

Fanty1972
1. Run DPC Latency Checker from Start - Programs - SVP 3.1.5 - Utilities. It must show green bars. If not go to dpclat homepage and read carefully how to fix the problem.
2. Run GPU-Z. What GPU Load and temperature when video is played?

Hm. Green bars.

I dont have GPU-Z at hand right now. I use MSI Afterburner (GPU Overclocking tool) instead.

First test:
SD material, 25 FPS
Renderer: EVR-cp, VSync is on
MPC TEaring Test lokks flashing, jittering.
Temperature: 52 Celsius
GPU load: 3-4%

Second.
Full HD 25 FPS
TEaring Test is flashing and moving stuttery aswell
Temp: 54
GPU Load: 8-10%

Third
720p 24FPS
tearing test apears worse, even through it should better fit into 120hz?
Temps and load no difference to Full HD it seems.

After looking at the movement of the lines I am now sure that its also in 120FPS, just 5 times as fast and I think 5 times as short distance) so that its almost not noticable.
Same is for 60 FPS converted files.

OK, let me check beamer....
Everything the same as on the laptop display.

Rimsky wrote:

Fanty1972
is intel HD active and in use while stuttering?

Had to google what that is. Some kind of "onboard" GFX, right?
How would one know?

MSI Afterburner says Video makes 670M working, so it shouldnt run on that Intel HD? Or can they run both at the same time and cause trouble by this?

Fanty1972

intel HD is

some kind of crap
integrated GPU into intel CPU, not "onboard"
It very weak, only HD4000/hd4600/HD5200 can work with SVP without any emprovments as MadVR, postprocessing shaders (shappen complex 2), etc

notebook as rule has "hybrid" graphics: on heavy woroks GTX (in your case), otherwise - intelHD

Fanty1972
MSI Afterburner says Video makes 670M working

really?
it can show not active now but external GPU

run heavy video (like 1080p) and use GPU-Z, switch beetwen grapchic and watch on sensors tabs load (GPU/VPU) what is working now (by highest load)

hm ok.

I used 1080p

switched a little bit around in the video file.

The highest readings:

Temp: 55
GPU Load: 13%
Memory Controller Load: 8%
Video Engine Load: 58%

Fanty1972
ok
what videocard show 58% load video engine?

Rimsky wrote:

Fanty1972
ok
what videocard show 58% load video engine?

Uhm....
The menue button on the bottom shows the name of the NVida one and has no other to chose?

I tested SVp with 120FPS and then it showed
GFX laod: 38%
Video Engine: 41%

I guess that could never have been the Intel HD?

Fanty1972
The menue button on the bottom shows the name of the NVida

yep
it is NV gtx670m

As for me 58% load video engine is very high, I dont see over 40% load video engine on my GTX650TiBoost

but

Temp: 55
GPU Load: 13%
Memory Controller Load: 8%
Video Engine Load: 58%

is normal

1. how much MHz shown GPU-Z during test?

2. did you have external monitor as LCD, projector, desktop monitor with 60Hz?
Try connect it to notebook and test on it

Rimsky wrote:

did you have external monitor as LCD, projector, desktop monitor with 60Hz?
Try connect it to notebook and test on it

I can switch my projector 120hz and 60hz (but the colors are not ok when on 60hz, dont know why. They become blueish). It doesnt help the tearing line. (also of I use 60hz on the laptop display. Colors fine, but no help for the line)

Fanty1972
Thank you. GPU load and temperature in normal.

Did you change your video card driver lately?
Maybe activated/deactivated stereo mode make so strange effect with jumping of tearing line?

Fanty1972

how much MHz shown GPU-Z during test?

MAG79 wrote:

Fanty1972Did you change your video card driver lately?
Maybe activated/deactivated stereo mode make so strange effect with jumping of tearing line?

I did indeed after starting to use SVP. But switched it back to the old one after I realised that the newer one had about 3times as much "framedrops".
Also I uninstalled und re-installed that one yesterday. Stereomode was not activated since that installation.

I just tested it, switching on/off, no difference.

I must say, I never used that tearing test ever before. So I dont know how the line behaved in the past. I am just sure, "normal" Video did never look that jittering/jumping when camera is moving.

Fanty1972
Did you try to use different renderers in MPC-HC. I recommend to try madVR exclusive mode, madVR windowed overlay, EVR full screen mode and overlay mixer. Where you see minimum of jumps of tearing line?
They all have another more stable way of synchronization.

MAG79 wrote:

Fanty1972
Did you try to use different renderers in MPC-HC. I recommend to try madVR exclusive mode, madVR windowed overlay, EVR full screen mode and overlay mixer. Where you see minimum of jumps of tearing line?
They all have another more stable way of synchronization.

I tried the mentioned 3 and EVR is the only one in wich the MPC Tearing line works (the SVP Tearing line works on all of them, but only with interpolated framerates, wich arent so jumpy in the first place)
I am trying a new driver atm but having a hard time, because I had a chalazion removed and need to wear an eye patch til in about 8 hours from now.

Uh ok, first impression is: the latest driver makes all things worse. TEaring line jumps even in 120hz and I have many, many frame drops. sad

Fanty1972
I wish you to get well.

Post here again when you will be ready to continue.

Fanty1972
what driver version?

try to install older WHQL original version from the NV site and during install choose clean install

Rimsky wrote:

Fanty1972
what driver version?

try to install older WHQL original version from the NV site and during install choose clean install

It was a 381.82 that I tried. I used "clean install". It had strongly shuttering test line in 120Hz even, what all other drivers I tried did not have.  hmm

I also tried 381.65 (several weeks ago, for 2 days), wich had more dropped frames than the driver I usualy use, then I went back to 306.97

The driver I usualy used all the time is: 306.97
Thats what I also use atm. It has far less dropped frames than the newer ones. Also it was better for World of Warcraft than 310, 311, 312 etc. (the 306 was released with the label: 15%-20% more performance for WOW-Pandaria, wich is pretty much the only game I play atm) wich I all tried back then and went back to 306 because it seemed that the performance boost for WOW got lost after the 306.

In other words, I use 306.97 since its release until now and it never was bad.

Ah well, something I only can tell about 120hz: madVR has a much calmer line for me than EVR-CP. I cant tell about 24Hz (no line) But I know from the look of camera pans, that it too looks quiet bad. I really need to see a "neutral" computer playing these videos. I think I try em next weekend on the PC of someone I know.

Ah time to see the doc and get me back my stereo vision.  big_smile

what is

I also use atm

?