Topic: Strange Performance Problems

Because I'm new here: Hello to everyone on the SVP Forum and thanks for the great software!

First of all the systems:

my system:
Win7 Home Premium 64-Bit
AMD Phenom X6 1090T
ASUS M4A88T-M (AMD880G)
4GB DDR3
AMD ATI Radeon 5750

his system:
Win7 Professional 64-Bit
AMD Phenom X6 1090T
Gigagyte board (don't know the model number) with an AMD980 or AMD990 chipset (not sure)
32GB DDR3
AMD ATI Radeon 6770

Now to my Problem:
I want to run SVP on my HTPC running Win7, MediaPortal and at this time ffdshow codecs.
I checked out the performance on the PC of a friend, which is very similar to my HTPC and it was running perfect with the settings shown in the first attached picture. We used a 1080p 24Hz Video with a heavy scene-change to take a look if these settings will work well. His CPU-load was with GPU-acceleration between 60-70%, SVP-Index every time at 1 and no framedrops or something.
With my system the CPU-load is about the same BUT the SVP-Index is at about 0,7 !!

I thought maybe its the graphic card, so we turned the GPU-acceleration off. His CPU-load was at about 90-100% with only sometimes a framedrop. Mine is nearly the same but the SVP-Index shows me 0,4.

We both uninstalled every codec and SVP, then installed only SVP with the attached codecs and we used the integrated mpc for the test but i have the same problems with MediaPortal using ffdshow codecs.

The Ram usage is at about 2GB from my 4GB, SVP uses not more than 1,3GB in the mentioned video.

It's running only when I lower the settings (look at the second attached picture).

Graphic driver and Windows is up date.

CPU clock speed is as it should be, temperatures are ok. I also checked performance with a theoretical benchmark and compared it to an benchmark i found in the internet and everything is just ok.

Any ideas?

Post's attachments

1.jpg, 75.38 kb, 446 x 446
1.jpg 75.38 kb, 329 downloads since 2013-10-16 

2.jpg, 76.93 kb, 447 x 446
2.jpg 76.93 kb, 329 downloads since 2013-10-16 

Re: Strange Performance Problems

"Blend frames to screen refresh rate" is a rather "dangerous" option (in terms of performance).
If you're unlucky with the real refresh rate of your screen and your friend is more lucky it could be the issue.

Thanks a lot for the quick answer!

Indeed it helped a lot! I can now run the same settings like on my friends PC.

Just for information:
After turning "Blend frames to screen refresh rate" off I had some smoothness problems every few seconds.
I found out that after reinstalling the ATI graphic driver, there were some useless options activated in the video menu of the ATI control center like dynamic contrast, extra sharpness, pulldown and some other stuff.
After deactivating these options the playback is just fine and smooth!

I just wondered what exactly the difference is between "Blend frames to screen refresh rate" and "Target frame rate" when its switched to "screen refresh rate" ??

test with reclock

MrCrow
I just wondered what exactly the difference is between "Blend frames to screen refresh rate" and "Target frame rate" when its switched to "screen refresh rate" ??

"Target frame rate" = "to screen refresh rate" makes 59.94 from 23.976
"blend frames" makes <whatever is you real refresh rate> (something like 60.013) from 59.94. The same thing is madVR's "smooth motion" feature except it runs on GPU.