Topic: GPU-acceleration (Open CL)

I have a problem with the GPU acceleration. When switched on the quality of the video smoothness is reduced.

I'm using a core i3 3310m CPU with the Intel HD 4000 Graphic chip.  I know that the the Hd 4000 is not very powerfull but I thought it would be fast enough for SD-Videos. 
I really like to use the GPU acceleration because without it I have a CPU usage of 50-80% for SD-videos and when it is enabled the cpu usage is under 50% for SD-Videos.

Is there a way to use GPU-acceleration with the HD 4000 without reduced video smoothness for sd-videos or have I to use only CPU-processing for best performance?

Re: GPU-acceleration (Open CL)

Render MadVR?
test i3-3310M in SVPMArk and put results in database (in svpmark use login from forum)

Yes i use MAdVr.
I put the results for the i3-3310M in the database.

I know that the the Hd 4000 is not very powerfull

Yes i use MAdVr.

hmm

try EVR CP

5 (edited by SVPuser 22-09-2013 13:58:24)

I will test evr-cp

Edit 1
There is no  difference with EVR-CP.   Same performance as Mad-Vr.  Reducing the Motion vector grid to 12px is the only way to get a smooth playback with GPU-acceleration.  So if I want to use a motion vector grid of  6px for SD-videos I have to use no GPU-acceleration.   It is strange because the peformance index with  or without GPU-acceleration  is the same and is during playback  at 0.97-1.03.

Edit 2
I had some time for further testing.

MadVr uses 20-25% (SD-HD-Full HD) GPU Power.
EVR-CP uses 20-25% (SD-HD-Full HD) GPU Power.
EVR uses 9-10% (SD-HD-Full HD) GPU Power.

MadVr+SVP (GPU-accelaration) :

SD-Videos
(SVPShader Standard |Motion Vector Grid 12px| Motion vector precision: Half Pixel)    60% GPU Power  (very smooth plaback)     CPU-25-30%
(SVPShader Standard |Motion Vector Grid   6px| Motion vector precision: Half Pixel )   60% GPU Power  (not so smooth as at 12Px, sometimes slight stuttering)   CPU ca. 40-60%
HD-Videos   
(SVPShader Standard |Motion Vector Grid   12px| Motion vector precision: One Pixel ) 75% GPU Power (smooth plaback but some slight stuttering)  CPU ca 50%
Full HD 
(SVPShader Simple |Motion Vector Grid   16px| Motion vector precision: Two Pixel )      75% GPU Power (clear visible stuttering  )    CPU 60-70%

EVR-CP
The same values as MadVr but playback seems a bit better on HD Videos.

EVR:
10-15 % less GPU power on all formats  no slight stuttering on HD-Videos, only slight stuttering at Full HD videos overall best performance on all Videos

Because of this results i will change from MadVr to EVR.  EVR-CP has no advantage for me.   
The thing I don't understand is that the GPU in no case was near 100%. So why is there such a huge difference between EVR and MadVr/EVR-CP  when using GPU-acceleration in SVP?

Intel HD4000 includes Intel Quick Sync technology. Look on the internet tests. QuickSync beats anything else in decoding and encoding so your GPU should decode HD and smoothly. Did you try ffdshow + Quicksync or Lav video decoder with Quick Sync as hardware acceleration ?

I tried intel Quick Sync with  ffdshow, the lav and the original intel decoder. The CPU usage goes down to less than 5% for Full HD h.264 videos.

But SVP doesn't use Quick sync. So only the CPU usage for decoding is reduced which is only a minor part  compared to the CPU usage of SVP.

So i guess MAG79 will have to develop the Quick Sync support as QS is very efficient for decoding and encoding

Sorry.
MAG79 has not enough experience to develop QuickSync support. wink

Hi MAG79 smile,

Perhaps you could ask Egur some help in the doom9 forum.....i'm sure he'll be happy to help you