Topic: SVP requires admin

If you try to run SVP as a standard user, it cannot find ffdshow and refuses to run. Is there any way around this? You should not need to run this as admin all the time.

Re: SVP requires admin

Hmm, I'll have to look into this again- on a separate computer, SVP was installed with an admin user, which I later demoted to standard user. And it works fine in standard user mode.

it can't find ffshow IF video player is running under different user

Everything was installed as the standard user, using UAC elevation to another user when necessary.

I think the problem is, the SVP installer requires admin access, but when the installing user is not admin, the config goes under users\admin instead of users\averagejoe

I reinstalled SVP with my regular account upgraded to admin, then downgraded to regular user and it works.

Side question- what's the 4GB patch for, and why is dpclatency installed with SVP? It should be noted that DPC latency gives garbage data under windows 8.

link68759
Short answer on topic: NO.
SVP doesn't need admin rights when used. It can be installed with usual user rights and can be used too.

I reinstalled SVP with my regular account upgraded to admin, then downgraded to regular user and it works

I'm glad for you but your solution is strange.

what's the 4GB patch for

It allow to video player to use more memory than usual 2 GB. MPC-HC already can do that and not needs in 4GB patch.

why is dpclatency installed with SVP?

It is tiny tool for help to find the problem if video not smooth.

It should be noted that DPC latency gives garbage data under windows 8.

Thanks for info. Official comments:

Windows 8 Compatibility: The DPC latency utility runs on Windows 8 but does not show correct values. The output suggests that the Windows 8 kernel performs badly and introduces a constant latency of one millisecond, which is not the case in practice. DPCs in the Windows 8 kernel behave identical to Windows 7. The utility produces incorrect results because the implementation of kernel timers has changed in Windows 8, which causes a side effect with the measuring algorithm used by the utility. Thesycon is working on a new version of the DPC latency utility and will make it available on this site as soon as it is finished.

SVP lite cannot be installed as a standard user. It requires admin access to install, like any installer would.

As for "a new version of the DPC latency utility"- don't hold your breath. They have been "working" on it for over a year.

link68759
It requires admin access to install, like any installer would.
Yes, you are right. It requires admin access when install only once. It ask user before process. After that user can use SVP with usual user rights.

Back again.

I created a new limited user account. SVP REFUSES to acknowledge that ffdshow is installed unless run as admin. The option to install settings "for all users" does not resolve the issue.

The only way to get SVP to work is to make the user account admin, and install svp under the account now with admin privs, then set the account standard again and it will work.

Something is screwed up with your installer

link68759
I created a new limited user account. SVP REFUSES to acknowledge that ffdshow is installed unless run as admin

a) becouse a new limited user account hav't rights to access to registry section HKLM\SOFTWARE\GNU\ffdshow\
b) becouse new user account hav't registry section HKCU\Software\GNU\ffdshow\ where installer make some magic

link68759
The option to install settings "for all users" does not resolve the issue.

this option only setup settings folder location, nothing more

Rimsky wrote:

link68759
I created a new limited user account. SVP REFUSES to acknowledge that ffdshow is installed unless run as admin

a) becouse a new limited user account hav't rights to access to registry section HKLM\SOFTWARE\GNU\ffdshow\
b) becouse new user account hav't registry section HKCU\Software\GNU\ffdshow\ where installer make some magic

That shouldn't matter. The installer is not run as the limited user- it requires elevation and is given admin privileges. So the installer is failing to set up SVP properly in a multi user environment where one of the users is not an admin.

link68759
I created a new limited user account

This is your mistake.

When you created NEW account the HKCU is empty.
Running under this new user SVP searches for ffdshow checking the existence of "HKCU\Software\GNU\ffdshow\default" key and it obviously absent (unless you run ffdshow by hands).

12 (edited by link68759 15-07-2013 02:18:42)

This is not the issue. This happened to me on an old account I converted from Admin to User as well. And if what you are saying is true, then converting the new account to admin would not solve the problem. But it does.

Instead of trying to argue with me about this, why don't you say... try to replicate the issue and then actually fix it?

link68759

I converted from Admin to User as well

Is it normal for usual user?
You found and fixed the problem by yourself. It is good. My congratulations.

Do you really think we need to fix it?

Is it normal for usual user?

Not sure what you mean. I'll repeat the problem: SVP lite will run fine as a normal user, provided that same user account type is changed to admin before the install (and you can change it back to standard afterward). If a standard user tries to use UAC to elevate to a separate admin account, running SVP lite as the standard user can't find ffdshow.

In any OS, the security model revolves around there being at least two accounts: a standard user and an admin account. UAC is basically the equivalent of 'sudo' from linux. It allows any standard user to run installers as the admin (or "root") account that exists on the system. SVP lite will not install properly in this way, forcing the standard user to change his own account type. This is a HUGE security problem.

Do you really think we need to fix it?

Yes. The process of cleaning up after the installer's inability to properly install grossly defies the established security model of *any OS ever* and users should not be asked to mess with such things.

link68759
The only way to get SVP to work is to make the user account admin, and install svp under the account now with admin privs, then set the account standard again and it will work.

Installer made in Inno setup
There is no way, as part of an admin setup to run/install something for individual users.
This is not a bug, this is imperfection of the Inno

How does every other installer do it then? You might consider switching to another installer provider.

This really needs to be fixed.

Obviously there's a stray registry entry or file that is associated with the account that ran the installer. It is clear the option to "install for all users" is not working correctly. This should not be a terribly difficult problem to fix.

Thank you! Works perfectly now.

We are glad to hear it smile