1 (edited by travolter 13-05-2013 18:23:28)

Topic: OS tweaks to increase SVP performance

We need really powerful hardware to run SVP with high settings.. and I wonder what OS tweaks could be applied to our OS to get a bit more performance from our machines.

(I know that you will gain much more with a hardware upgrade rather than tweaking.. but all info I think that is welcome).

-Personally I use XPsp3 with only 4 services enabled (RPC/P&P/eventlog/audio).
-No programs running in background.
-No visual themes, no aminations/FX etc
-All hardware devices that I dont use like onboard audio/bluetooth/CD-rom are disabled in bios
-You can kill explorer.exe and run your videoplayer with the taskmanager

About my player I use potplayer.

-All audio and video processing filters are disabled.
(Im not sure if this is player is lighter compared to MplayerC.. or there are certain mplayer/potplayer versions that consume less CPU than others)

2 (edited by dlr5668 13-05-2013 18:53:18)

Re: OS tweaks to increase SVP performance

U need 4Ghz+ i5/7 cpu and 2years old+ video (nvidia better) + 120Hz/overclocked 72/96 monitor(korean IPS are beast). Your tweaks wont help at all (may be + 5%).

dlr5668 wrote:

U need 4Ghz+ i5/7 cpu and 2years old+ video (nvidia better) + 120Hz/overclocked 72/96 monitor(korean IPS are beast). Your tweaks wont help at all (may be + 5%).

I think quite a few SVP users do not meet those specs, and are still enjoying many of its benefits. Your monitor recommendation seems especially out of line, since mostly only hard-core gamers are likely to have such a display. SVP works just fine on my 1080p 60Mhz IPS panel.

I agree, though, that a good GPU makes a world of difference.

4 (edited by travolter 15-05-2013 14:20:31)

The purpose of this post is give advices to optimize the OS and get a few extra performance of our machines.
A little +5% of boost could be enough for people that currently are in the 100% of cpu usage and need a bit more room for SVP.

Today all is possible with money!!! Buy new hardware and you will gain instant boost.... I know...
But sadly not eveyone can replace computers each 2 years or so. this is the scenario where tweaks are necessary.

Question to developer, Chainik and rest of team.
There is more room for increasing performance (save CPU) in future versions?
The boost since early versions(original mvtools2 dlls to current ones are really impressive.. but I wonder if code could be squeezed a bit more.
What about more options into SVP to sacrifice quality in favor of performance?

I dont expect miracles wink My Atom netbook will never be able to run SVP smile but a little performance boost in each release would be welcome, specially for people that dont own high-end computers.

I wonder why it is still Free project. They could create less performance needed version for money and in one year make it free and create better non-free version etc. I easily imagine people in USA pay 20$ for 1 year license.
Anyway I believe that dynamic of decreasing resource hunger would be even better.

BES is a small tool that throttles the CPU usage for the process you “target”: for instance, you can limit the CPU usage of a process which would use CPU 100%, down to 50% (or any percentage you’d like). With this, you can use other programs comfortably while doing something CPU-intensive in the background.
http://mion.faireal.net/BES/

for developers BES is usfull to simulate weak CPU

7 (edited by James D 15-05-2013 23:40:23)

@fooladi, if it helps me to decrease CPU usage of SVP so I woudn't hear all that fan's job then I will be very grateful!

EDIT: Nope:( It doesn't. My CPU load is full while playing video. However I haven't tried to limit my player...
EDIT: Pfff:( I wish it could limit load of 1 core aka turboboost. It doesn't help much if it limits whole percentage value of my 8 virtual cores of quad I7. Thanks for sharing anyway.