Topic: something about vfr video

I tried some VFR videos that contain 23.976fps and 29.970fps, there would be a tiny pause on frame rate changing. (VFR repair option checked)
My screen refresh rate is 60Hz. Is there any complete smooth playback solutions for these VFR videos?
Increasing decoder queue in MadVR won't help, and no frame drops reported from MadVR.

Re: something about vfr video

river
What you want to get?
Describe please.

I mean a VFR video plays from 23.976fps scene to 29.970fps scene.
Meanwhile, SVP is first working on 23.976*(5:2)=59.94 mode, and then switch to 29.97*(2:1)=59.94 mode.
This switch will cause a shake. SVP may have dropped several frames.
Can I get rid of these shakes?

river
Can I get rid of these shakes?
For today on-the-fly No. It is reaction to framerate change, what is not immediate by observing ffdShow framerate parameter.
You can get nice result only if you do preprocess (mkv2vfr) and reencode your video with frame interpolation scene-by-scene with different frame interpolation settings.

BTW. What video you talking about? Can you give me a link?
I will take a closer look.

I see. It's the limitation of ffdshow.
When  framerate change is detected, SVP will use ffdshow remote to reload avs, so frames in the previous avs buffer have to be dropped.
Now I set ExBuffAheadAdd to -14, and only 1 frame will be buffered ahead, less frames will be dropped on framerate changing.
My ISP won't let me upload anything, my vfr videos are mostly encoded from 1080i anime Bluray, but you can also create sone by muxing two different framerate video into one file I think.

river
When  framerate change is detected, SVP will use ffdshow remote to reload avs, so frames in the previous avs buffer have to be dropped.
Yes. You are right.

I set ExBuffAheadAdd to -14, and only 1 frame will be buffered ahead, less frames will be dropped on framerate changing.
What happend with smoothness in this case? I don't know how will work SVP in multithreading mode when it must to calculate several intermediate frames simultaneously. It needs in [threads]+1 frames in the buffer ahead.

my vfr videos are mostly encoded from 1080i anime Bluray
Extension mkv?
What tools do you use to convert bd2mkv?

The smoothness looks no problem

I followed a guide from here to make vfr mkv

river
Can you put here vfr-file created from any vfr mkv video from your collection?
You need to use Haali mkv2vfr tool from C:\Program Files (x86)\Haali\MatroskaSplitter folder. Usage:

mkv2vfr.exe file.mkv NUL file.vfr

MAG79 wrote:

river
Can you put here vfr-file created from any vfr mkv video from your collection?
You need to use Haali mkv2vfr tool from C:\Program Files (x86)\Haali\MatroskaSplitter folder. Usage:

mkv2vfr.exe file.mkv NUL file.vfr
Post's attachments

1.vfr 256 b, 526 downloads since 2013-03-14 

2.vfr 132 b, 514 downloads since 2013-03-14 

river
I see common things for both vfr-files. They have two 29.97 fps parts: near beginning and before ending.

http://www.svp-team.com/forum/misc.php?item=2413

What is it? Computer animation or running string-subtitles?
I ask because I need to know all frames in these parts has movements at framerate 29.97 or only region in frame (subtitle for example).

Post's attachments

VFR_mkv_features.png, 8.16 kb, 641 x 239
VFR_mkv_features.png 8.16 kb, 519 downloads since 2013-03-16 

One of them is scrolling credits in the ending, others are motions on the whole frames