1 (edited by prof 07-03-2013 21:20:19)

Topic: Frame doubling on capture device sources (30 fps console games)

Since most games on PS3/360 running with pixel shader 3.0 run capped @30fps and my 50 inch plasma hasn't any frame doubling tech I'm looking forward to filter input signal thru an HDMI capture device with SVP and MPC-HC.

I'd like to know if anyone tried this. I already did with a broadcaster pal thru teamviewer but he was damned with the "human-eye-can't-perceive-more-than-25-fps" curse.

My target for now is to get any of AVermedia PCIe HDMI capture cards like this

Re: Frame doubling on capture device sources (30 fps console games)

frame interpolation is a heavy task that's why it's really multi-threaded on CPU
so, while some frame (N) is showing on the screen more frames

(to keep it simple lets say it's number of CPU cores of frames)
are calculating
which means an input lag at least <num_of_cores>*1000/30 ms in your case
in the real world it'll be two times more

so I don't think it's a good idea
may be I'm wrong  hmm

So... is there an OSD-ish way to show average lag between input and output in SVP?

it's just a common sense plus "processing threads" value from SVP menu

"auto" means "1.8*<num_of_cores>" with GPU acceleration enabled
so for i7 CPU it means "14 more frames are calculating at the time"

of cause if your system is so powerful it can process frame interpolation in just one thread in real-time - you can set "processing threads" to one wink

Hello,

I am a fan of SVP and also wanted to use it for external sources. I have lost track becuase of time an chronic bankrupsy. My best finding for HDMI capture is the blackmagicdesign intesity pro,
because it should be supported in the stereoscopic player - that would also mean HDMI side by side and over and under 3d playback from ext. sources.

regrads

I had also tried it for xbox one games but it gave me the same message that the human-eye-can't-perceive-more-than-25-fps.

michaeljnesbitt
it gave me the same message that the human-eye-can't-perceive-more-than-25-fps

who it?

8 (edited by prof 05-10-2013 09:18:01)

Thanks everyone for feedback, forgot this thread long time ago. I bought a PCIe HDMI capture device and got the result i wanted, but my current CPU (i7 920) couldn't afford low latency frame doubling and there was a noticeable 3/4 sec input lag. As process threads were decreased, input lag decreased as well, my rig horsepower was not enough to fill framebuffer with a few threads so fps dropped too. Tweaking some settings on SVP games ran at 60 fps filtering a 720p input. Maybe with a later CPU anyone could get it without a noticeable input lag.

Since then I've got a Samsung LCD  with an image processing engine wich is frame blending capable up to 100fps (with no noticeable input lag). So no more "Splash Pro" or SVP needed for movies or 30 fps console games.

Rimsky wrote:

michaeljnesbitt
it gave me the same message that the human-eye-can't-perceive-more-than-25-fps

who it?

Is XBOX ONE already out?. As I said, most nowadays non-cheap TV's motion engine processors are doing the job. So no more than a 30 fps input is needed.

Most 80's arcade games ran @60 fps, even an 8 bit Mario game. The reason most console games run @30 fps is console user community has a nice framedoubling TV and they don't know it, but console tycoons do. In the other hand, console-only users are well kown for their limited knowledge in visual performance tech specs.

prof
Is XBOX ONE already out?
that message looks like spam  big_smile

prof The reason most console games run @30 fps is
console hardware in xbox360/PS3 out in 2006