Topic: DVDs are problematic

When I have SVP running (LAV, madVR, MPC-HC) and play a DVD folder from my hard disk, I get hundreds of dropped frames. If I put the VOBs in a Matroska container, the same movie plays with no dropped frames. Any idea why, or what settings I can change?

Re: DVDs are problematic

jkauff
Lets find what the difference between DVD and MKV settings:
Make two text-reports and post them here: SVP tray menu - Information - Additional information.

MAG79 wrote:

jkauff
Lets find what the difference between DVD and MKV settings:
Make two text-reports and post them here: SVP tray menu - Information - Additional information.

Here are the logs.

Post's attachments

debuginfo - DVD.txt 1.71 kb, 583 downloads since 2013-02-15 

debuginfo - MKV.txt 1.69 kb, 540 downloads since 2013-02-15 

jkauff
Thank you for these report files.

DVD:

Frame size and frame rate: 720x480 pixels, 19.98 fps
Internal Avisynth-framerate: 29.97 fps

MKV:

Frame size and frame rate: 720x480 pixels, 29.97 fps

I have the same trouble with wrong detected frame rate on DVDs at home computer. I will try to fix it by changing of preferred MPEG2 decoder. I will tell about details later when I will get any results.

Thank you Mag for the quick response.

jkauff
OK. I have a solution.
19.98 fps shows only one kind of DVD. It is multy-format DVD with PAL and NTSC video in one disc.
So, If decoder finds NTSC 29.97 with 2:3 pulldown it does IVTC to convert framerate to progressive 23.976. It is 4/5 from it. But because of DVD is multy-format Somehow it tells about 25 fps instead of 29.97 and 4/5 from 25 is 19.98 fps (20 but with NTSC-scaling coefficient 1000/1001). It happens when SVP is ruuning.

Without SVP all is good and ffdShow reports about 29.97 fps hmm But if you run SVP and turn on smoothing with 2x coefficient then you can not get 60 fps (Jerky tearing test) and if you point 2.5x coefficient (24->60) then you get good smoothness of Tearing test. It tells about wrong framerate againg. But now real framerate is 23,976 but ffdShow shows 29,97. It looks like little bug in LAV DVD decoder.

So. You must manually point right target frame rate in the profile window. Test it by watching to tearing test.

MAG79 wrote:

jkauff
OK. I have a solution.
19.98 fps shows only one kind of DVD. It is multy-format DVD with PAL and NTSC video in one disc.
So, If decoder finds NTSC 29.97 with 2:3 pulldown it does IVTC to convert framerate to progressive 23.976. It is 4/5 from it. But because of DVD is multy-format Somehow it tells about 25 fps instead of 29.97 and 4/5 from 25 is 19.98 fps (20 but with NTSC-scaling coefficient 1000/1001). It happens when SVP is ruuning.

Without SVP all is good and ffdShow reports about 29.97 fps hmm But if you run SVP and turn on smoothing with 2x coefficient then you can not get 60 fps (Jerky tearing test) and if you point 2.5x coefficient (24->60) then you get good smoothness of Tearing test. It tells about wrong framerate againg. But now real framerate is 23,976 but ffdShow shows 29,97. It looks like little bug in LAV DVD decoder.

So. You must manually point right target frame rate in the profile window. Test it by watching to tearing test.

Thanks for the research. Mag. This particular file set is not my rip, but I have the disc and will do a rip from that. Then I'll be certain it's pure NTSC, which from your explanation should solve the problem. The disc is in storage, so it may be awhile before I get to test it, but I'll update you on the results.

DVD support not included into SVP 3.1.4. I need more time to release it. roll

jkauff
Try SVPMgr314_soft-telecined_video_mod from this topic: hardware acceleration

Last processed file parameters:
Filename: movie_blood_diamond.vob
Frame size and frame rate: 720x480 pixels, 23.976 fps
Internal ffdShow-framerate: 19.98 fps (soft-telecined index: 1.2)
Internal Avisynth-framerate: 29.97 fps

I think it is just what you wanted wink

MAG79 wrote:

DVD support not included into SVP 3.1.4. I need more time to release it. roll

In case this helps in your work, ZoomPlayer correctly plays DVDs that MPC-HC does not. Maybe the problem is not in SVP, but in MPC-HC integration (MPC-HC works fine with SVP turned off).

MAG79
The new SVPMgr did correct the problem with the DVD I first reported. Thanks.

Other DVDs still don't play correctly in MPC-HC, though. Player bypasses menu and plays movie, or in some cases first extra.

Obviously not a problem for me, I can just use ZP, but I thought you'd like to know.

jkauff
madshi had the same problem with madVR:

Anyone tested with DVD playback? I had trouble with the menus, with SmoothMotion ON static DVD menus do not update/display properly anymore. Animated menus work with a some additional lag.

madshi: Ooops. I guess I should disable FRC on static DVD menus.

big_smile

Chainik
madVR v0.86.1 released

* smooth motion FRC is now auto turned off for DVD menus

jkauff

Other DVDs still don't play correctly in MPC-HC, though. Player bypasses menu
you'd like to know

Yeah. Thank you for reminding. smile
I faced with some difficulties there. Work under SVP problem with static DVD menu in progress...