Topic: 50Hz vs. 60Hz - which frequency you find more natural?

First I want to express my full appreciation for SVP and its good results in motion interpolation - movies never looked so good and currently I hardly imagine watching them with lower framerate than that of my display.

I did some research on how SVP works and what are the best options. So, I find that 50 Hz refresh rate always results in a perfect animation, 60 Hz looks slightly unnatural and 72 Hz is "too smooth". It is worth noting that I'm a European, which means I grew up in a country with 50 Hz television. So my question is: do you, possible American or Japanese users (from countries with NTSC or 60 Hz PAL) feel with 50 Hz refresh rate? Is it better or worse than 60 Hz? Also, I'd like to ask other European users, do you find any difference between 50 and 60 Hz?

2 (edited by AndreaMG 24-02-2013 17:42:57)

Re: 50Hz vs. 60Hz - which frequency you find more natural?

Hi,
theoretically the highest the fps the smoothest and blur free the video will result, but you have also to deal with artifacts. When you watch a video which is 25fps you want to apply a 2x target frame rate in order to decrease artifacts and still have great (doubled) fluidity. If you play 23.976fps video it is ideal to have a device capable of custom resolutions such as 48Hz or 72Hz (2x, 3x) display to add "invented" frames always at the same intervals with minor artifacts. If your display doesn't support custom resolution (like mine) for 23.976fps material you must choose 59.94Hz, which is exactly 2.5 your starting point (at the expenses of some artifacts).

In other words the highest the fps the more natural (SIMILAR TO REALITY) the image in motion will resemble, but you have always to consider the original fps and the amount of artifacts you can tolerate, depending also on the power of your machine.  smile

Re: 50Hz vs. 60Hz - which frequency you find more natural?

qduaty
Thank you for your message.

50 fps and 60 fps are not so different in smoothness.
TVs frame-interpolators try to double or quadruple frame rate. So, for PAL (25 fps) they make 50 or 100 fps. For movies (24 fps) they make 48 or 96 fps. For pure NTSC (30 fps) they make 60 and 120 fps.
When used integer multiply coefficient all original frames shows and it masks artifacts.

If your hardware not compatible to 48 Hz mode then you can use 50 Hz mode for 24 fps movies and use 4% PAL speedup in Reclock. It gives you less artifacts and almost the same smoothness as 60 Hz mode.

--

I'm from Russia, and here PAL (25p, 50i) is standard of television broadcasting.