Topic: New to SVP looking for advice

First I would like to compliment you on the SVP project, it is wonderful work.

I have some questions but I am not sure that this is the proper forum to ask, I will ask just in case wink

I have tried a few times in the past year to do frame interpolation on my 23.976 bluray rips but have never been quite satisfied due to the artifacts generated on quick scene changes along edges. I however am using InterFrame (http://www.spirton.com/interframe) which I know depends on SVP. I love the smooth motion I get but it's just the artifacts that really bother me.

The first question is am I asking in the right place? I am following the "Convert videos to 60 fps by SubJunk" guide?

If so, my question really comes down, how to minimize artifacts? I realize that there will be some but is there adjustments I can make to minimize these as much as possible? I would be happy to give up smoothness for less artifacts.

The other question, is this possible using the Subjunk guide and InterFrame or am I going to need to beef up my htpc hardware in order to run SVP (is it even possible with MC18/LAV/madvr)?

Any advice would be welcome.

Re: New to SVP looking for advice

Bolt
For fine result you need to have two-five short base scenes with fast motion what made artifacts along edges.
You can cut them from your bluray and split it together. It will be your test sample.

Then you can adjust some parameters in the script. You need to change values of SVPflow - SVSmoothFps parameters:
scene.mode = 3
scene.limits.m1 = 1600 [reduce this value to reduce smoothing for masking artifacts]
scene.limits.m2 = 2800 [reduce this value to reduce smoothing for masking artifacts]

Apply them to your test sample. When you get good result then you can apply this script to whole bluray.

Thank you, this is great info.

Can use do this in the script SubJunk has in his guide? Would I insert between lines SetMTMode(2)  and   InterFrame(Cores=4, GPU=true)?

SetMTMode(2)

insert here....   SVSmoothFps(super, vectors, "{}", url="www.svp-team.com", mt=threads).....

InterFrame(Cores=4, GPU=true)

Bolt
You need to insert parameters into Interframe2.avsi file.

Write what line are you using to call Interframe from your script. I will answer how to modificate Interframe2.avsi.

You can also try using Tuning="Smooth", it can have less artifacts with some content

Ah, I see it now. This is good.

SubJunk, my priority is to get the least artifacts possible with as smooth playback as possible (not asking for much am I). I know I will need to compromise but as a starting point, would you recommend  Tuning="Smooth"? Also, would algo:23 would be better for me?

Thanks guys! If this works out and I stumble upon settings that look good to my eyes, I'll be happy to share.

The smooth tuning uses algo 23 smile I have been using it lately and I like it. try it and see smile

MAG79, I took your advice and made several clips to test with. However, after I process with Interframe2 and Smooth as SubJunk suggested, my clips behave strangely. They play fine however at about a 1 second intervals they jump ahead. If I process the whole movie it's fine. There must be something wrong with the was I extracted the clips.

I used MKVmerge and enabled Splitting at the time interval I wanted. I then repeat for the length I want and end up with a short clip. The clip plays fine. I then process as per SubJunks instructions and create a new .264 file. Finally I use MKVmerge again, open the clip, deselect the existing video stream and add the new .264 file to create a new mkv. The new clip then does not play back properly like I said above.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Bolt
1. Check framerate in whole video and in its parts by mediainfo. It must be identical.
2. What command do you use for open video? DirectShowSource? What parameters?

1. The sample mkv that I process is 23.976. After SVP processing (MeGUI/AviSynth/Interframe2) the new .264 video is of course at 59.940. Using MKVmerge I then reopen the original clip (23.976) deselect the video track and add the new .264 video (at 59.940) in it's place. Could MKVmerge get confused because the original file was 23.976?

2. I use MeGUI - AviSynth creator. In the Filters tab I select Prefer DSSource2 over DSSource. There is a FPS field which I just leave at the default.

11 (edited by Bolt 08-02-2013 02:28:52)

It's funny though when I process the whole movie it works just fine, it's only when I extract a clip that the process fails. Even though the clip plays OK there must be something up with it.

How would you extract a clip from an mkv with no quality loss?

Edit: Other than that with the Smooth setting suggested by SubJunk it's looking pretty good. I still would like to work on it though. I compared the SVP movie look to the original with my LG55LE8500 TruMotion on and I like SVP look better. I am really pumped about this, 24fps judder really bothers me. BTW, I am using Avatar, Pulp Fiction and Drive Angry bluray rips for most of my testing.

Bolt
I use mkvmerge GUI (mmg.exe) from MKVToolNix

Gents,

I am using Sub's Interframe2 script with the Smooth setting. I made the following mod near the end of the file to include Mag's SVPflow parameters.  Have I entered the m1 and m2 parameters correctly?

SmoothString = SmoothString + ",area_sharp:1.2},scene:{blend:true, mode:1, limits: {blocks: 35, m1: 100, m2: 200}}}"

Thanks.

Bolt
Yes. Parameters entered correctly.
But both m1 and m2 works only with mode:3.

Ah, Mode 3 only, thanks.

The default values are 1600 and 2800. What would be a good increment to reduce these values to notice a difference? If I reduce by 100 for instance, would this yield a result that would be somewhat noticeable?

Bolt
Try to devide this values (1600 and 2800) twice for beginning: 800 and 1400. And see at fast scenes. Adaptive mode must switch from uniform interpolation to 1m and 2m modes earlier than before. It will reduce artifacts.

Thanks, I will be doing a lot of testing.

Just curious, does mode 1 and mode 2 do something similar to adjusting m1/m2? I tried mode 1 and it looked better, mode 2 just about removed all artifacts but it was not as smooth. Probably the equivalent of a 1.5 may turn out to be the sweet spot.

Bolt
smile Deja vu

See topic: '1,5m'' Frame Interpolation Mode.
I want to add one of these modes to next version SVP (called 1m 50%).
We (developers) need to decide how it will be helpful or not...

What you think? As I see, you are really need 1.5m modes (between 1m and 2m)?

Well I do not want to commit just yet but from what I saw mode 1 reduced artifacts quite a bit but depending on the movie, there was still more than I was comfortable with. Mode 2 seemed to almost get rid of all artifacts but I started to lose the benefit of interpolation.

I will need to test more to see what I prefer. Unfortunately as you know it takes a lot of time to do each test even with smaller clips.

Ultimately my goal is to reduce judder as much as possible and still have a great picture with the odd artifact here and there. But my priority will be a clean picture with little to no artifacts.

I am making some progress and I have converted a couple of movies I will watch in the next few days. I am using Sub's Interframe2 script with the Smooth setting and I am adjusting m1 and m2. Are there any other adjustments that can impact artifacts vs. smoothness? For example Algo (currently 23 as set with Smooth) or limits.blocks currently at 35.

Thx

Bolt
Are there any other adjustments that can impact artifacts vs. smoothness?
Yes. All settings in the profile window. wink

Profile window?

Bolt
Active profile settings window.

Double click on SVP icon in the tray while playing.

Ah, I don't use SVP that way. I convert movies with MeGUI.