Topic: SVP Crashes - Strange Work Around Found?

Problem:
After upgrading hardware, SVP would no longer work.

SVP worked with:
AMD 4670
AMD Phenom 9750
AM2+ Motherboard
3x1GB DDR2 800

Upgraded to:
AMD 4670 (no change)
AMD Phenom II 965 x4
AM3 Motherboard
2x4GB DDR3 1600

Symptoms:
When executed, the SVP yellow arrow icon appears in the task bar. Immediately, it turns to aqua/blue and spins akin to when SVP detects a video. Shortly thereafter, the arrow stops spinning (stops around the 5:00 position), followed by a windows crash notification "SVP.Mgr.exe has stopped working". There is no error log produced. All symptoms and trials below are 100% repeatable, no exceptions.

Trials:
1.) Uninstalled SVP and tried to reinstall. At the user-agreement page during the installation process, the installer would crash once the countdown (up?) reached 3/3.
2.) Tried installing a prior version of SVP. The latest version that would install was 3.06/3.07, all others crashed. Upon trying to run 3.06/3.07, the program would follow the same above symptoms.
3.) Booted into safe-mode and installed 3.1.3 successfully. The install program would execute without crashing, as well as SVPMgr.exe. Back in "normal" windows, SVP would crash upon execution.
4.) Figuring that a program was preventing SVP from running (it worked in safe-mode), I started killing processes in task monitor and services in msconfig one at a time, try to run SVP, and then kill another. Nothing seemed to work... but I may have missed something.
5.) Try new/old graphics drivers. Upon uninstalling the drivers in Device Manager, SVP would execute without crashing... but, alas, without graphics drivers nothing runs very smooth. After a large number of attempts, I got an older version (2011) of the AMD/ATi drivers installed for the graphics card. Didn't work.

Work Around:
6.) Disable graphics card in Device Manager. Execute SVP and doesn't crash. Reenable graphics card. SVP stays open and works as it should.

It appears that once the graphics drivers are out of the question OR windows is using the default graphics drivers SVP will stay open and not crash. I'm trying to avoid formatting the drive to see if that resolves the issue.

Thoughts?

Re: SVP Crashes - Strange Work Around Found?

comlogical
Please post here clinfo.log: Windows Start button - Programs - SVP 3.1 - Utilities - CLinfo

If it crashes too then it is OpenCL problem. Reinstall video-adapter driver. But before it remove old driver's files from system by special utilities. For example Driver Fusion.

CLinfo crashed, as well.

During Trial #5, I used DriverSweeper to remove the old drivers and Window's Programs & Features to uninstall the related software. It took a number of tries to get it to finally accept the older driver (2011).

I'm inclined to think that the new motherboard/cpu are to blame for the crashing, but then again, maybe the drivers were "reloaded" for the video card when detected by the new hardware.

It appears if a driver remover couldn't do the job than formatting may be the only option... one I'll have to take when I'm feeling venturesome.

4 (edited by %username% 19-01-2013 03:31:38)

comlogical

At the user-agreement page during the installation process, the installer would crash once the countdown (up?) reached 3/3.

CLinfo crashed, as well.

100% hardware issue in CPU+RAM+MB: overheating, burned memory, etc