Topic: Simple, general, and minimal installation for non-real-time usage

Hi.  I don't want to do anything real-time.  I just want to nterpolate frames and feed the Avisynth output to VirtualDub so I can render a new AVI at my higher target frame rate.

I've installed AviSynth 2.6.0 Alpha 3 over the top of my 2.5.8.  I've copied your 4 dlls into my plugins folder, along with the strange file InterFrame2.avsi.  Here's my script:

AviSource("my-29.97fps-video.avi"   )
ConvertToYV12()
Import("C:/Program Files/AviSynth 2.5/plugins/InterFrame2.avsi")
InterFrame(NewNum=8991, NewDen=100, Cores=2)

I want to interpolate 2 new frames between each original frame, effectively changing from 30fps (29.97 really) to 90fps (89.91).

It bombs when trying to open the script in VirtualDub.  Can you all please help me?  I wish as little software installed in my system as possible.  I do not want the script generator.  I just want the minimal non-realtime stuff to help me generate a new AVI.  Thanks so much, in advance.

(I have numerous other frame rates I want to use, but picked  90fps as a simple example.)

Re: Simple, general, and minimal installation for non-real-time usage

TCmullet
It bombs

it's a kind of most helpful and self-explaining error message i've ever seen  big_smile

Yes, the error message I didn't give was the most helpful and self-explanatory one ever.    wink

In my computer endeavors, I normally report error messages, but in this case:
1.  It was a bunch of errors and Vdub doesn't allow them to be copy/pasted;
2.  I really figured I was probably making some silly and obvious error in my AVS file, which I thought you experts would catch right off the bat, eliminating the need for whatever messages came out.

I guess I was mistaken, so I've rerun it and carefully typed out the messages, first to Notepad, then pasted to here:

Avisynth open failure:
Evalute: System exception - Illegal Instruction
(C:/Program Files/AviSynth 2.5/plugins/InterFrame2.avsi, line 103)
(C:/Program Files/Avisynth 2.5/plugins/InterFrame2.avsi, line 57)
(D:\Framerate-x-3.avs, line 4)

Now "for sure" it will probably be obvious to someone knowledgable.

(I had to leave working on this these few weeks, but now I can report these messages to you.  Normally I'm more timely in my responses, but couldn't be in this case.)

TCmullet
Thank you for text of error message. It is clear now.
Error is in SubJunk's script-function InterFrame. You can contact him on his site http://www.spirton.com/interframe/ or wait for answer here.

TCmullet

Hi, thanks for reporting the error, and thanks MAG79 for letting me know.
I tried your script myself and it worked fine. It may be an error with the version of AviSynth you used. Please try the version in this zip file (AviSynth.exe) http://www.spirton.com/uploads/60FPS/Files-20120627.zip

Oh and by the way, as a general note unrelated to InterFrame, the denominator 1001 is usually used for NTSC framerates. It makes it easier because it's just easy to remember, and accurate to more decimal places. So for 90fps it would be NewNum=90000,NewDen=1001. Not a big deal at all but thought you might be interested to know smile

Thanks, SubJunk.  Is that the patched AviSynth version that the main docs recommended?  I didn't install that b/c (1) I hoped it wasn't essential, and (2) how can I use the standard version if I have this patched version installed?  I can't have 2 versions installed, can I?  I've wanted to keep the standard version installed so I'll know that video work not related to InterFrame would still work.  (Not that the patched version is *necessarily* broken in some way, but I feel better using "standard" versions of things.)

Yes, I'm aware (barely) of the 1001 for NTSC.  Everything I work with I prefer to keep NTSC compatible.  Took me a bit to figure why people were referencing 1001, when I tend to think in terms of 29.97, 59.94, etc.  One project I'll be working on is 30 fps, and I hate having to figure out how to get all facets of it over to 29.97, so I can make a correct NTSC DVD.

So, what's the deal on AVS versions, do I *have* to have the patched version, and is the one you gave, the patched version?

TCmullet
1. I've installed AviSynth 2.6.0 Alpha 3
2. I feel better using "standard" versions of things
How do you know what is more standard? hmm
- AviSynth 2.5.8 MT mod (SVP edition = AviSynth 2.5.8 + MT mod by SEt + Bug fixes by Jeremy Duncan + Memory buffer mod by Chainik) used in SVP 3.1.2
- 2.6.0 MT "early version" (I have not a link, maybe this: AviSynth 2.6.0 MT by SEt) used with Interframe 2.2.0
- 2.6.0 Alpha 3

TCmullet
I know what you mean about using the standard versions of things. In this case, though, the standard version of AviSynth has no multithreading, and for modern CPUs that means things are running at 1/8 or less of the possible speed.
The version I offer for download is one of SEt's builds. It is the most stable version I've tested (100% stability even with dozens of simultaneous plugins)

Thanks, Sub.  I feel much better knowing those things (esp. the multithreading).  Will try it this week.  (Thanks for patience, as well as the version.)

Mag, not being a power user, but just a rare user and a former programmer, it surprises me a bit that after 10 years, most bugs are not out.  (Although I've seen cases where bugs were in a "stable" product for more than that.)

To both of you, the bug fixes and the multithreading... why not submit them for inclusion in the next standard edition?  They sound good.

TCmullet
it surprises me a bit that after 10 years, most bugs are not out
well, this's the free and open source way of doing things  big_smile

SubJunk, it's still blowing up, but with a bit more intelligent error message: (the 2 InterFrame lines are the same)

Avisynth open failure:
Avisynth: illegal instruction at 0x00001CE4 in C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\svpflow_cpu.dll
(C:/Program Files/AviSynth 2.5/plugins/InterFrame2.avsi, line 103)
(C:/Program Files/Avisynth 2.5/plugins/InterFrame2.avsi, line 57)
(D:\Framerate-x-3.avs, line 4)

Do I need a special CPU for this to work?  I have what is the best processor I've ever had, a Pentium 4 at 3.06ghz plus hyperthreading.  Am running VirtualDub 1.10.2, surely a new enough version.

TCmullet
Pentium 4 at 3.06ghz plus hyperthreading

it won't work
and i know why
but i don't think i'll do something to "fix" it

Chainik, please don't leave me hanging.  What's wrong??  I do have other machines I can use, albeit slower.  Remember, I said this is not a real-time application for me.

Maybe I need a newer machine?  Please tell me the minimum configuration needed to get this running.  I've just been gaining a ton of material I need to up the frame rate on.  I've been counting on getting InterFrame working for me.  Am looking forward to lovin it.

TCmullet
Maybe I need a newer machine?

are u serious?
$50 Celeron G5xx will be around 4 times faster in video processing than your P4 3.06...

BTW, Interframe ver. 1.xxxx should work for you..

I used to do assembly language on numerous platforms.  Can you tell me what instruction set is needed that the P4 doesn't have?  I can then study it on Wikipedia, then survey the market and pick a path for upgrading (whether a new box or just mobo, etc.).

In parallel to communicating with you, I'm working to set up my test environment on an Intel Atom 330, which I have at the other end of the house.  Even tho slower, it (from what I learned after it was given to me) it is more advanced, esp. in multimedia application factors.

I *may* try your v.1.x, but I'm inclined to upgrade hardware as needed so I can run the latest InterFrame.  I may even do both just to get some InterFrame work going.

TCmullet
Intel Atom 330, which I have at the other end of the house.  Even tho slower

well, it's equal to P4 in this task...

I can then study it on Wikipedia, then survey the market and pick a path for upgrading

no need, really
ANY CPU released in the past 6 years fits wink

Woo HOO!  The Atom 330 WORKS!

But I'd really like to consider an upgrade.  Could you pretty please tell me what instruction set I'm looking for????   Not only do I want to know this, but I do not keep up with processor history, so "6 years" means nothing to me.  But if you tell me an instruction set (like SSE2 as an example that pops to mind), then I can run with it.

Pretty please????     neutral

Even without Wikipedia, I find these links to a set of instruction sets:

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/CPU.html
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Atom/index.html
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Atom/Inte … 0251M.html

And the relevant list is:

Features MMX technology
-SSE
-SSE2
-SSE3
-Supplemental SSE3
-EM64T technology
-Hyper-Threading technology
-Execute Disable bit

I'm begging you to you tell me which of this is needed by InterFrame.  Pretty please??

TCmullet
I do not keep up with processor history, so "6 years" means nothing to me.

Intel Core 2 and later
AMD Athlon 64 and later
which means "any CPU you can possibly buy today"

But Chainik, you're not realizing that I might get something from a CraigsList ad.  So just knowing that it's sold new today doesn't answer it for me.   (All my numerous PCs are used equipment; haven't bought or been able to buy a truly new PC or mobo since.... 2001 I think.  Hard times, plus people give me their old PCs.)

Can someone please look over my previous post's list and tell me which bulleted features are essential for InterFrame??

Chainik wrote:

BTW, Interframe ver. 1.xxxx should work for you..

I've searched spiriton.com but can't find a link for getting old versions.  I'd like to use 1.x on my P4 and the current 2.2 on my Atom.

InterFrame-1.14.zip