Topic: Conversion of Colorspace

SVP is always converting the colorspace to YV12, despite the source not being YV12 (eg YV24).

Please correct this in the next release!

Re: Conversion of Colorspace

Oehr
SVP works internally with YV12 only.

awh thats unfortunate... guess i won't use it for non 4:2:0 content then sad

Oehr
As you wish smile
We have no plans to support any other colorspace except YV12.
By the way you can use upscaled and converted to YV12 video at input to avoid chroma resampling inside SVP. Of course you need to convert colorspace back and downsample back at output.

you may use good old MVTools (i.e. SVP 3.0.6) for YUY2

quick question about colorspaces:

I m using MPC-HC, LAV video filters and madVR. Does SVP/ffdshow add an extra video conversion? I ask this because Madshi (the author of madVR) says that every extra video conversion that is done in a chain is not good.

THX-UltraII
Madshi is right. But it is true not for all cases.
You can open any video and look at ffdShow input and output to know about colorspace conversions.

Usually all MPEG2, DivX, XviD and h.264 content is YV12 and no conversion occurs before renderer.

- when playing BDMV blu-ray folder and both NV12 and NV12 boxes in ffdshow checked ffdshow tells me:
input: YV12 (uncompressed)
output: NV12

- when playing BDMV blu-ray folder and only NV12 box in ffdshow checked ffdshow tells me:
output: NV12

- when playing BDMV blu-ray folder and only YV12 box in ffdshow checked ffdshow tells me:
output: YV12

So when checking both the NV12 and YV12 box in the output settings of ffdshow, ffdshow chooses NV12 as output (which to me assumes that there is a conversion from YV12 to NV12 done by ffdshow?).
When checking only the YV12 box ffdshow chooses YV12 as output (which to me assumes that there is no conversion done by ffdshow).

What can I make of this information and should I check both NV12 and YV12 or only YV12?

THX-UltraII
NV12 is a variant of YV12 with another bit order for chroma. They have equal bit depth. Conversion between them is lossless.

NV12 is a native colorspace for NVIDIA video adapters.

What can I make of this information and should I check both NV12 and YV12 or only YV12?
I don't know smile I just leave these options by default. You can make some speed tests on your PC. Quality is equal in all cases.